Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

it would be pretty classic Essington to have drafted/assembled a good young team and then trade away half the team before they hit their primes because you don’t believe in them…

Then they go on to be pretty good elsewhere.

Hopefully we just let go of the obvious not best 22 players (Jake/Lav) and 1-2 of the mid logjam guys. (parish, Sheil, Whoever)

Back in the talent on the list and be additive rather then overly destructive

The tin ra

The tin rattlers?

Better then being the Mediocre Dons

If we continue down the same trajectory we are not going anywhere

Last edited:

Tim Watson is basically an official mouthpiece for the club, right?

If so, that's pretty good news. Finally making the moves we need to do. I'd rather dwell at the bottom for a couple of years and clear out the riff raff, rather than meander along in perpetual mediocrity.
I think it’s similar to what the pies did at the end of 2020. Maybe for different reasons, but they moved on 3 seemingly key pieces fairly cheaply.

This is the clearest messaging so far that we are going to blow up the list and start again. I'm all for it and I hope that we finally do this properly. We've hamstrung ourselves with ridiculous contracts to Parish and McGrath but it is what it is ... Strap in and let's see what they do from here

Notice at 1.40 Tim says "OUR list" while before and after, he is taking about Essendon as if he is a neutral. 😉

This is the clearest messaging so far that we are going to blow up the list and start again. I'm all for it and I hope that we finally do this properly. We've hamstrung ourselves with ridiculous contracts to Parish and McGrath but it is what it is ... Strap in and let's see what they do from here

No dramas Timmy. I'm totally ready for this outcome. Let's f****** go!

i know we didn't finish 14-18 but really, we were a "bottom 4" side the entire year, it was crystal clear as early as round 8 when we barely been a completely inept west coast.

the early fixture was in our favour and some results went our way.

We were never anywhere near as good as the media made us out to be.

This isn't going to get better if people are not going to be black and white about where we are and continually sugar coat stuff. Including us fans.

The only thing that pisses me off more than us playing like *******s, is fans who give this club constant outs when they perform terribly. it really is the worst. Positivity at the sake of reality = insanity.
Wait. Do you now agree that it looks like an 8 year turn around is possible?

We could have done this many times in the past but have never really accepted where we are (the club I am referring to)
These guys in charge are supposed to be the adults in the room...
But they have completely failed to 'read the room' over & over.

I, myself have been strapped in ready for this rebuild for years... I think a majority of the fans have been too (but all to no avail - with many, many, mediocre, neither here nor there seasons) and are now so ****ing fed up with it.
Apathy prevails!
Aren't these guys now in charge different to the guys who were in charge? As far as I can see, the guys currently in charge are reading the room.

I think the fans are more ready for a step back to focus on young kids than they realise, it's been obvious for years. Scott could've/should've done a lot more in the last 46 games.

Anyway I'm happy with this chatter, let's get it.

And you know what, Tsatas, Reid, Hayes, Roberts, SEH, Davey, Hobbs, Caddy, Kako, Cox, Perkins and Bryan could surprise if they feel they've got the trust of the coaches.

I think the fans are more ready for a step back to focus on young kids than they realise, it's been obvious for years. Scott could've/should've done a lot more in the last 46 games.

Anyway I'm happy with this chatter, let's get it.

And you know what, Tsatas, Reid, Hayes, Roberts, SEH, Davey, Hobbs, Caddy, Kako, Cox, Perkins and Bryan could surprise if they feel they've got the trust of the coaches.

The change in messaging is stark.
Better late than never I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know we didn't finish 14-18 but really, we were a "bottom 4" side the entire year, it was crystal clear as early as round 8 when we barely been a completely inept west coast.

the early fixture was in our favour and some results went our way.

We were never anywhere near as good as the media made us out to be.

This isn't going to get better if people are not going to be black and white about where we are and continually sugar coat stuff. Including us fans.

The only thing that pisses me off more than us playing like *******s, is fans who give this club constant outs when they perform terribly. it really is the worst. Positivity at the sake of reality = insanity.
Can’t agree with this.

We finished where we did. Not bottom 4. Ladder was a fair reflection.

Calling us worse than reality and suggesting everyone needs to be so negative = depressive insanity.

The change in messaging is stark.
Better late than never I guess.
Scott has always said it’s an 8 year plan. He also never got too carried away after each victory or defeat. I don’t think he’s stoked about losing stringer but he knew it would be a long slog. Our fans need to be patient and cop the inconsistency’s that we will see.

Scott has always said it’s an 8 year plan. He also never got too carried away after each victory or defeat. I don’t think he’s stoked about losing stringer but he knew it would be a long slog. Our fans need to be patient and cop the inconsistency’s that we will see.

He never actually said there was an 8 year plan.

Fake news? I feel like I’ve seen it plastered all over the place. There must have been a quote that at least resembled an 8 year plan
And it snowballed into the thought of us not winning a flag until then. It happens.

Kinda like Watson’s comments now. It’s already taken on a life of its own. People are putting a weird amount of weight behind it.

Fake news? I feel like I’ve seen it plastered all over the place. There must have been a quote that at least resembled an 8 year plan

The original quote was more around having a group that would grow together over 8 years.

But it has morphed over time.

So all clubs met today, I presume to speak about what players are available? Or pre trade talk. Could we find out that parish Langford wright Shiel stringer and leverde or whoever are on the trade table?

Aren't these guys now in charge different to the guys who were in charge? As far as I can see, the guys currently in charge are reading the room.
Agree entirely.
The issue is that the care factor just isnt there anymore. The club has missed the boat.
We've steeled ourselves for the backwards steps for so long and got nothing. Now that they are going to do it it is more likely that some fans like me will have drifted away. The investment in the journey isn't there for me.
I don't see the pay off or the value in it...

Agree entirely.
The issue is that the care factor just isnt there anymore. The club has missed the boat.
We've steeled ourselves for the backwards steps for so long and got nothing. Now that they are going to do it it is more likely that some fans like me will have drifted away. The investment in the journey isn't there for me.
Oh.

Yeah nah. You'll be back 😊

Agree entirely.
The truth is we need a superstar of our own. Someone that kids want to wear their number on their back. We don't have one of these and haven't for a generation.

We need to draft the next Dusty, the next Bont, the next Pendlebury, the next Harley Reid.

That's only going to happen at the pointy end of the draft and they'll only stay ours if we build a cohesive list and a solid football program to allow them to succeed.

That's only going to happen at the pointy end of the draft

Yeah nah, plenty of stars have come from elsewhere and are made through the achievements/improvement of the overall team and you don't need a loser mentality tanking culture to have success. Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, etc; are examples of that. And the game is moving beyond "superstars" anyway, it's about creating an even spread with role players across the board.

Where we have failed is stability, creating an environment that takes success seriously, leadership and general development. The saga didn't help either. Having gutted the overheads, created stability and made in-roads on-field and culture-wise/cutting players, things are moving in the right direction.

Yeah nah, plenty of stars have come from elsewhere and are made through the achievements/improvement of the overall team and you don't need a loser mentality tanking culture to have success. Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, Brisbane, etc; are examples of that. And the game is moving beyond "superstars" anyway, it's about creating an even spread with role players across the board.

Where we have failed is stability, creating an environment that takes success seriously, leadership and general development. The saga didn't help either. Having gutted the overheads, created stability and made in-roads on-field and culture-wise/cutting players, things are moving in the right direction.
I see what you're saying. We need an overpowered academy and sustained access to top-end father-sons to avoid a bottom-out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back