Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree entirely.
The issue is that the care factor just isnt there anymore. The club has missed the boat.
We've steeled ourselves for the backwards steps for so long and got nothing. Now that they are going to do it it is more likely that some fans like me will have drifted away. The investment in the journey isn't there for me.
I don't see the pay off or the value in it...
Sprinkle your dogshit on a 🍩 & lap it up princess. 1bede9b7c3abf4bcd238cbb57edb5ac0.gif

I'm guessing it's going to be some sort of re-build 'on the run'. With Stringer and Laverde going, along with the others, our list age looks pretty good to me. Youngsters have been given a good run at it, others a taste, and others look ready to come in for their turn. Hopefully held together by the more experienced players who still have a lot of footy left in front of them.
Now our season is over and the emotion is gone, I'm upbeat about next year.

Can’t agree with this.

We finished where we did. Not bottom 4. Ladder was a fair reflection.

Calling us worse than reality and suggesting everyone needs to be so negative = depressive insanity.

I used "air" quotations.............

You can be positive about positive things.

I was more referring to barely beating an absolute dog shit West Coast and Richmond then reading shit like;

"West Coast are actually good at home"

"Richmond got up for Dreamtime"

those kinds of comments are just stupid IMO.

barely beating those two teams were utter alarm bells at the time and many chose to just ignore it.

I used "air" quotations.............

You can be positive about positive things.

I was more referring to barely beating an absolute dog shit West Coast and Richmond then reading shit like;

"West Coast are actually good at home"

"Richmond got up for Dreamtime"

those kinds of comments are just stupid IMO.

barely beating those two teams were utter alarm bells at the time and many chose to just ignore it.
I agree. West Coast have been historically diabolical in the last couple of seasons and we beat them by 4/5th of **** all both home (last year) and away (this year).
Richmond were getting pounded pre Dreamtime round but that game was an arm wrestle for us.

Other teams were slaughtering these crap teams - not us...

Did they though?

Not everyone was having a meltdown about it like you, but there also weren't really many people saying 'yeah we're a genuine top-4 side FlagDons' either.

If you can't watch football and enjoy the wins without making everything negative, it's probably time to take a break from the sport for a bit. You're going to have far more years without winning a Premiership than you will with winning one.

I agree. West Coast have been historically diabolical in the last couple of seasons and we beat them by 4/5th of **** all both home (last year) and away (this year).
Richmond were getting pounded pre Dreamtime round but that game was an arm wrestle for us.

Other teams were slaughtering these crap teams - not us...

Don't think you can take much from this season considering it was the closest season in a long time. Looking at it overall there were many teams who actually lost to bad teams that we didn't.

Collingwood in 2022 and 2023 weren't really pummelling teams but they made it to a prelim and a flag. But they did it by actually winning.

This season has been a weird one. Sydney losing to Richmond. Norf almost beating the Pies. First and foremost you should actually win more games than you lose and consistently at that, which we didn't, before you mention margins.

Don't think you can take much from this season considering it was the closest season in a long time. Looking at it overall there were many teams who actually lost to bad teams that we didn't. Not only that but we haven't really been a team that has put away teams for a while.

Collingwood in 2022 and 2023 weren't really pummelling teams but they made it to a prelim and a flag.

This season has been a weird one. Sydney losing to Richmond. Us smashing the Dogs. First and foremost you should actually win more games than you lose and consistently at that, which we didn't, before you mention margins.

This is what an even competition looks like. There's simply no teams that are that bad at the moment. West Coast, North and Richmond aren't good by any means, but the gap between them and the mid-table sides isn't that large. The sides between about 6th and 15th on the ladder were all pretty line-ball when they played one another. Having watched way too many North games this year, there were quite a few games they were in through to half-time before falling away. A couple of injuries to key players, or a couple of guys playing a blinder, can be the difference between being a winning or losing side atm.

That's great. Forces us to develop a forward line around players who don't have a short term expiration date. And when it doesn't work and we lose more games because of it we'll be rewarded with a draft pick that allows us access to potential top talent.

Jake helping us finish 11th is the last thing we need, that's what his 42 goals do.
We need to get rid of all those pesky players that help us win games!

Don't think you can take much from this season considering it was the closest season in a long time. Looking at it overall there were many teams who actually lost to bad teams that we didn't.

Collingwood in 2022 and 2023 weren't really pummelling teams but they made it to a prelim and a flag. But they did it by actually winning.

This season has been a weird one. Sydney losing to Richmond. Norf almost beating the Pies. First and foremost you should actually win more games than you lose and consistently at that, which we didn't, before you mention margins.

Collingwood finished 2023 with 127%, which was the highest in the comp. a far distance form where we finished this year with 93%.

They didn't pummel teams every week granted, but they did beat teams convincingly, more than they didn't.

When was the last time Essendon belted a team? by 8+ goals? I can't even remember. Says everything you need to know about us tbh.

Last edited:
So all clubs met today, I presume to speak about what players are available? Or pre trade talk. Could we find out that parish Langford wright Shiel stringer and leverde or whoever are on the trade table?

Yeah not so much.

Probably would have won more games with setters in the side over Jake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time Essendon belted a team? by 8+ goals? I can't even remember. Says everything you need to know about us tbh.

Your memory mustn't be so good:

R11 2023 v Eagles, 50 pt Win
R1 2023 v Hawks, 59pt Win
R20 2022 v North, 48pt Win
R18 2022 v Suns, 48pt Win
R22 2021 v Suns, 68pt Win
R17 2021 v Adelaide, 63pt Win
R10 2021 v North, 72pt Win
R3 2021 v Saints, 75pt Win

Collingwood finished 2023 with 127%

I was more-so talking about 2022 which they made a prelim at 107%. The key factor in both is they won their matches which helps. They had the most closest matches from a flag winner in 2023 that I could recall.

That's why I said first and foremost you should first win your games/beat others consistently first before margin is a factor.

One team beat one but lost to another the other team beat. It's not a 1:1 example as people make it out to be.

I was more-so talking about 2022 which they made a prelim at 107%. The key factor in both is they won their matches which helps and had the most closest matches from a flag winner that I could recall.

That's why I said first and foremost you should first win your games/beat others consistently before margin is a factor, and even then it was an closer season than usual.

One team beat one but lost to another the other team beat. It's not a 1:1 example as people make it out to be.

i mean i agree but even 107% is a world away from where we are.

a % near 90, is very, very bad.

i mean i agree but even 107% is a world away from where we are.

a % near 90, is very, very bad.

Yeah but like I said 107% is helped by having 64 premiership points on the board instead of 46. Being on the end of wins helps the deficit. We are also not Collingwood of 2022 or 2023 specifically because we haven't learned to actually win the games required.

There is no use "belting" a couple teams if your points are not in the 55-60+ range. Winning, as Collingwood have proved, should be the first priority. And, with the teams becoming more even, that's something more supporters need to get used to.

This is what an even competition looks like. There's simply no teams that are that bad at the moment. West Coast, North and Richmond aren't good by any means, but the gap between them and the mid-table sides isn't that large. The sides between about 6th and 15th on the ladder were all pretty line-ball when they played one another. Having watched way too many North games this year, there were quite a few games they were in through to half-time before falling away. A couple of injuries to key players, or a couple of guys playing a blinder, can be the difference between being a winning or losing side atm.

Not entirely relevant to your point, but I can see Richmond being far worse than whichever team finishes 17th next year.

They're unlikely to lose them all, but if they lose some combination of Rioli, Baker, Graham & Bolton - in addition to the retirements of Dusty & Grimes (& Pickett, if you wanted to include him) - they are going to be seriously bad.

Your memory mustn't be so good:

R11 2023 v Eagles, 50 pt Win
R1 2023 v Hawks, 59pt Win
R20 2022 v North, 48pt Win
R18 2022 v Suns, 48pt Win
R22 2021 v Suns, 68pt Win
R17 2021 v Adelaide, 63pt Win
R10 2021 v North, 72pt Win
R3 2021 v Saints, 75pt Win
Bit concerning only 2 in the Scott era TBH.
I was happy to be patient with his uncontested possession game plan initially but 2 seasons in we really dont have the foot skills or marking talent to execute it.
Add that to trying to implement a forward half pressure game but dropping most of our smalls to try and fit in as many lumbering talls has me really concerned with where this coaching group is taking us.

Yep.
Winning with guys who don't have a long term future and have proven they have a midtable ceiling makes little sense to me.

Sugar hit wins ain't it. Give me a young list scrapping out of their depth and learning how hard the level is, when you see a player slowly grow and build resilience, the losses hurt way less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back