Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Another slow medium forward that has limited forward craft. No thanks.

more of a past tense conversation.

You’d rather a better option when building a balanced list going forward, for example Harry Jones pushing up from wing in those 20% minutes Langers is on the bench.

Then use a balanced inside/outside mid off the bench

Does anyone know if a player who was a free-agent and signed a contract (parish / redman etc), can you, with agreement of both parties, rip up the contact and let them leave as fee-agents - and receive a compo pick as a result?
Might be a nice way to manufacture picks in a strong draft, and be easier than convincing a club to trade something?
Would love it to happen, but would require courage we don’t have.
One can dream…

Does anyone know if a player who was a free-agent and signed a contract (parish / redman etc), can you, with agreement of both parties, rip up the contact and let them leave as fee-agents - and receive a compo pick as a result?
Might be a nice way to manufacture picks in a strong draft, and be easier than convincing a club to trade something?
Would love it to happen, but would require courage we don’t have.
One can dream…
You cannot do that, nope.

I don't think Draper has the ability to play a final like the one Sweet played tonight, just a vanilla 4 quarter consistent effort, he just kept going and did what he needed to do.

It's why I'd hate to sign him up for 5+ years.
On the other hand, Draper is the sort of player who could pull out a Mason Cox, 2018 prelim final effort and dominate a game like no one else is able to.

On the other hand, Draper is the sort of player who could pull out a Mason Cox, 2018 prelim final effort and dominate a game like no one else is able to.
I also checked Draper's game vs the Dogs In 2021 and his stats were actually pretty good lol. Maybe I just don't want to sign him to a long term deal haha.

What is everyone’s thoughts on trading Merrett? He will be 29.5 years old by the start of next season and will most likely be passed his prime by the time we next contend for a flag.
We could get 2 first round picks in return or a gun young player.
captain, someone desperate to lead from the front, Essendon person through and through

would send the worst sort of message imho but do agree with your sentiment about needing to try and add elite young talent to the list

What is everyone’s thoughts on trading Merrett? He will be 29.5 years old by the start of next season and will most likely be passed his prime by the time we next contend for a flag.

Merrett strikes me as the type that'll play well into this 30's and the leadership/effort/example he provides is what we'll need going forward. No thanks.

Merrett strikes me as the type that'll play well into this 30's and the leadership/effort/example he provides is what we'll need going forward. No thanks.
If I was in charge of the list i’d try to trade as many players over 25 as I could and do a mini rebuild (we already have a decent core of young players that have potential)

With the list we have we’re not getting near a flag within the next 5 years.

If I was in charge of the list i’d try to trade as many players over 25 as I could and do a mini rebuild (we already have a decent core of young players that have potential)

With the list we have we’re not getting near a flag within the next 5 years.

I think it's become more balanced already with the recent outs we've had. If Lav, Shiel and Stringer were to leave the average would just get even younger. It'll look pretty even in the next couple of years with most of the experience being in the backline.

I'm not as doom and gloom on the list as you are. I think with some persistence in development, tweaking with the FA/trades and blooding more youth our side is pretty poised to grow into a list of role-players that do their part rather than relying on a few players to be on each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the clearest messaging so far that we are going to blow up the list and start again. I'm all for it and I hope that we finally do this properly. We've hamstrung ourselves with ridiculous contracts to Parish and McGrath but it is what it is ... Strap in and let's see what they do from here

Allow me to translate, ‘prepare yourselves everyone, we’re going to put quality assets on the table, but we’ve already framed it as a fire sale, so we’ll get pennies on the dollar and we know the picks or players that come back in return aren’t going to get quality TLC so won’t turn into anything anyway’.

I’d be playing Merrett off the back flank for a couple of seasons, to save his body while we rebuild and potentially contend at the latter part of his career. Not only would he be able to create from back there it creates opportunities for tsatas and hobbs

Langford is the 28 year old I’d trade.

Allow me to translate, ‘prepare yourselves everyone, we’re going to put quality assets on the table, but we’ve already framed it as a fire sale, so we’ll get pennies on the dollar and we know the picks or players that come back in return aren’t going to get quality TLC so won’t turn into anything anyway’.
How have we framed it as a fire sale ?
All we have done is say you are not getting an extension now. If you want to stay you can but that is the offer.
Not like they are jumping out of trees to offer a cheap offer and not like we are desperate to offload him because of cap space. It is simply saying to a bloke who is 30 one year deals are where we are going.
Quality asset. Not quite.

Would be a bit careful about off loading Langford. Yes he would bring a decent return but he is one of the genine leaders behind the scenes and we do not have many with his qualities in that area.

Would be a bit careful about off loading Langford. Yes he would bring a decent return but he is one of the genine leaders behind the scenes and we do not have many with his qualities in that area.
Fair comment but I want more leaders on the field. Too many of our off field leaders (mcgrath, ridley, langers spring to mind) don't have steely grit to carry us over the line in a tight game or arrest momentum when we are under pump. Only see it in Zach and it does feel like some of the younger guys have it (martin, caldwell, durham and possibly caddy minus the kicking for goal).

Fair comment but I want more leaders on the field. Too many of our off field leaders (mcgrath, ridley, langers spring to mind) don't have steely grit to carry us over the line in a tight game or arrest momentum when we are under pump. Only see it in Zach and it does feel like some of the younger guys have it (martin, caldwell, durham and possibly caddy minus the kicking for goal).
Langford leads on the field. Plays the team role. Happy to play in any spot. And does sacrifice his own game when it needs to be done.He has basically played half a season on one leg and getting the number one defender most weeks so he has been down on form and output.

I'm not really sure why Laverde and Stringer are getting all bent. They both have contracts that they signed - and are now getting pissy because they want more. The club is saying that's the contract, we want to stick to it. Maybe the club should have asked them to sign for less in 2024 considering all of the shanked mongs of kicks that they each produced.

Young leaders follow until they are put in a position to lead themselves. I hope we have plenty of young leaders ready to step up when needed

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back