Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Young leaders follow until they are put in a position to lead themselves. I hope we have plenty of young leaders ready to step up when needed
Well there are not a lot. Not something we have really prioritized in the draft. It is one of the reasons why we struggle to take the next step.

I'm not really sure why Laverde and Stringer are getting all bent. They both have contracts that they signed - and are now getting pissy because they want more. The club is saying that's the contract, we want to stick to it. Maybe the club should have asked them to sign for less in 2024 considering all of the shanked mongs of kicks that they each produced.
This group is so used to just being rewarded with little to no ROI for the club.

I'm not really sure why Laverde and Stringer are getting all bent. They both have contracts that they signed - and are now getting pissy because they want more. The club is saying that's the contract, we want to stick to it. Maybe the club should have asked them to sign for less in 2024 considering all of the shanked mongs of kicks that they each produced.
This, this, this, this, this

This whole situation has blown up well beyond what has (probably) happened.

Shiel, Stringer, Laverde etc have probably asked for extensions or queries on the contracts they have because of the other ones Adrian Dodoro (mis)handled. After being told they wouldn't be looked at right now (due to being under contract) this has been leaked to the media as them throwing a tantrum and now looking elsewhere like a spoilt brat.

Im ok with these contracts running down, in fact if they request a trade, they would be doing a favour to the club.

Last edited:

Allow me to translate, ‘prepare yourselves everyone, we’re going to put quality assets on the table, but we’ve already framed it as a fire sale, so we’ll get pennies on the dollar and we know the picks or players that come back in return aren’t going to get quality TLC so won’t turn into anything anyway’.
I have said for some time now that maybe, jus maybe, the list spot is more important than the player occupying it

This applies to a few at the moment

When teams get better it happens fast.

Lots of handwringing for a bunch of players who are fringe 22 at best.

Parish + Sheil are the most accomplished players on the list possibly getting moved but even then we have ready made top 10 picks who are ripping through the VFL to replace them. (Hobbs and Tsatas)

Laverde is physical but a bit of a poor kick and not best 22 if everyone’s healthy.

Stringers more complicated he’s a good AFL player at times. Poor at others. Taking him out of the 22 instantly improves the balance of the side.

If we could turn some combination of Parish, Sheil, Stringer, Lav, Draper, Wright + F2 into 4x future firsts and some throw in young/vfl players that would be a good offseason.

Especially with 2 first round talents being added to the best 22.

In practice that’s turning over 20% of the list with high end talent.

Last edited:

Are they though?

Literally heard nothing from either of them. Few second hand things in the media saying Stringer wants at least 2 years - which is completely fair enough. Perfectly happy with us drawing the line at one year, but in no way does that make Stringer a bad person, or even in the wrong, for wanting 2. Perfectly fair.

As for laverde, well we’ve literally heard nothing from him.

Don’t need to brush players with comments like this when they’ve done, and are doing, nothing wrong.

Truck thought so. Loved Truck, but even if he were still in the building we'd be in the same situation.

Probably.

I think why it happens fast is things click into place. Ie one star or tall makes everything easier for everyone else playing on easier/smaller opponents.

Maybe it’s a rebalance. Or a critical gap filled. Maybe a few young players work it out.

Or a few of these happen at the same time.

If the pies get 26 for Noble I’d be asking for that for Stringer. Then look up split it for more points or a future second.
Pies aren’t interested in Stringer. Apparently no one is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they though?

Literally heard nothing from either of them. Few second hand things in the media saying Stringer wants at least 2 years - which is completely fair enough. Perfectly happy with us drawing the line at one year, but in no way does that make Stringer a bad person, or even in the wrong, for wanting 2. Perfectly fair.

As for laverde, well we’ve literally heard nothing from him.

Don’t need to brush players with comments like this when they’ve done, and are doing, nothing wrong.
Stringer is walking around telling those close to him that he's played his last game for Essendon (media source). Merrett was going in to bat for them - who only could have found out about this through them. (after this) media have then reported on the interest in them - meaning that other clubs have been contacted. There is only one way that the media could have become aware of this situation.

I think there is a fair chance of not much coming from it, as they each value themselves higher than Essendon or other clubs do.

Last edited:
Surely this Werribee team has some players we can get? eth-dog ant555

Any kpd worth a shot as depth?
If I may, the two I like;

Riley Bice, probably second favourite for the VFL rising star equivalent. Kicking half back flanker. Classy, nice size, has wheels

Hudson Garoni is a KPD. probably a touch slow but he is kicking goals and working as both a finisher and an assistant.

When teams get better it happens fast.

Lots of handwringing for a bunch of players who are fringe 22 at best.

Parish + Sheil are the most accomplished players on the list possibly getting moved but even then we have ready made top 10 picks who are ripping through the VFL to replace them. (Hobbs and Tsatas)

Laverde is physical but a bit of a poor kick and not best 22 if everyone’s healthy.

Stringers more complicated he’s a good AFL player at times. Poor at others. Taking him out of the 22 instantly improves the balance of the side.

If we could turn some combination of Parish, Sheil, Stringer, Lav, Draper, Wright + F2 into 4x future firsts and some throw in young/vfl players that would be a good offseason.

Especially with 2 first round talents being added to the best 22.

In practice that’s turning over 20% of the list with high end talent.
Stringer is basically the only bull cb midfielder we have. He’s also our forward lines hardest match up. Any imbalance in the side is due to other lesser players. Stringer still a top 5 player in our side and clearly one of Scott’s go to guys. It will be a net negative losing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back