Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be dead set against it as he has a lot of years left and still a bit underated but I also think losing your best player and doomsday scenarios are overrated. Based in emotion not fact.

Judd, ablett, danger, buddy, griffin all changed clubs at the peak and their old teams did pretty well.

As long as you get good compensation 2 firsts (10) plus a young star back then hard to see examples where the club hasn't bounced back well.

Any examples where it decimated a club?

It is click bait because of the way it's being reported and blown out of proportion by Morris/9. Like you said its standard behind the scenes stuff at this time of year but the headlines/tweets by 9/Morris are acting like its a "HUGE BOMBSHELL" that will "ROCK TRADE WEEK!!!".
This sort of sensationalist reporting has become an industry in itself
It is not blown out of proportion. It is a reasonable story that they will make an offer. Click bait is what you get when Ralph and Friends sit around a table discussing their opinions.
Like it or not another club leaking that they will make a big offer to try and get another club’s captain is a big story even if it is a very low chance of happening.
It is not media driven.

kane cornes telling him how much of a non story it is just because the saints want Merrett.
I want to retire from work next year but it’s not realistic
Come on Tom, I’m usually a fan of your work but it’s genuinely clickbait content. Must be slow news day.
Gives me a good laugh anyway
I’m sure Zach is abit annoyed his best mates might be leaving but couldn’t see him leave, nor us even entertain it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I will say that if he feels he wants out and wants the money that the Saints may be offering then if they are offering both picks this year then you have to look at it.
However there are a lot of ifs .
Unlikely he is chasing money and we could renegotiate to make ch.
Doubtful he is looking at the Saint’s as a genuine chance to play finals.
Doubtful we would consider anything but overs and the Saints offer you can not refuse would need to extend to what would you offer.
As a pure list building exercise if he really wants to go then you deal but you also say well you think he is worth 1. Whatever million over 6 or so years then give us a first and second this year and next years first.
Personally I am not flat out just selling him but I am considering the Godfather trade offer if he is looking to jump ship.
There is just as much chance that he is not the next premiership captain so if he really is not in for what comes next then so be it.

kane cornes telling him how much of a non story it is just because the saints want Merrett.
I want to retire from work next year but it’s not realistic
Come on Tom, I’m usually a fan of your work but it’s genuinely clickbait content. Must be slow news day.
Gives me a good laugh anyway
I’m sure Zach is abit annoyed his best mates might be leaving but couldn’t see him leave, nor us even entertain it.

So it is not his job to report that a rival club may or is preparing an offer to another club’s captain?
Of course it is a story.
The fact is it does not matter if he is unlikely to leave. The story is the offer. No different to any number of stories that clubs are linked to players.
He has not reported Merrett is looking to leave.

IMG_5929.JPG

This is literally only 2 and a half weeks ago.
If he was to request a trade then I can only make the assumption it has a lot to do with hind, Jake and lavs potential departure.
Which would be really disappointing if that’s the case.

Struggle to see Merrett leave purely for money, and if jts success well gee think he could find someone closer than the saints lmao.
Are they even closer than us?

View attachment 2112304

This is literally only 2 and a half weeks ago.
If he was to request a trade then I can only make the assumption it has a lot to do with hind, Jake and lavs potential departure.
Which would be really disappointing if that’s the case.

Struggle to see Merrett leave purely for money, and if jts success well gee think he could find someone closer than the saints lmao.
Are they even closer than us?

What part of maybe making an offer do you not get ? No one is reporting he want’s out.

Wouldnt surprise me if its been leaked to media to get a better pay over the next 3 years

It would be difficult for him to come out and say hes interested as their is a very good chance this doesnt get done and then impossible to walk back into the club as captain and very tough as a player leader

Don't Zach and Lav have a clothing line together?

1Z2A3053-1068x986.jpg.jpeg

They're clearly looking ahead in terms of working together past footy so I'd find it hard to believe that a shorter time working together during footy would be such a deciding factor or that they haven't thought about life post-footy in a sobering way already.

Last edited:
Don't Zach and Lav have a clothing line together?

View attachment 2112372

They're clearly looking ahead in terms of working together past footy so I'd find it hard to believe that a shorter time working together during footy would be such a deciding factor or that they haven't thought about life post-footy in a sobering way already.

Doubt this is related given Zach went through having his brother delisted without making a fuss

I highly doubt it happens but I'd do the Merrett trade for 2 top 10 picks. IMO We are looking at a bottom 3 finish with him next year. He's clearly going to be around for a long time but we have short window with Tassie coming in to get enough elite young talent in the door. A 3 player haul of Allen, Draper, Travaglia, Langford, Reid, Lalor plus Kako would set us up for a decade. Another top 3 picked next year and we are rolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I highly doubt it happens but I'd do the Merrett trade for 2 top 10 picks. IMO We are looking at a bottom 3 finish with him next year. He's clearly going to be around for a long time but we have short window with Tassie coming in to get enough elite young talent in the door. A 3 player haul of Allen, Draper, Travaglia, Langford, Reid, Lalor plus Kako would set us up for a decade. Another top 3 picked next year and we are rolling.
Yeh it’s literally could be 4 top 15 players in this strong even draft coming to Essendon.

I’ve heard rumours of the dogs also being interested in Merrett, Jammara?

Also that Merrett leverde hind and stringer sometimes acted up when together.

Also that Essendon has floated the idea to Merrett manager.

Not sure how much if any of that is true.

I'd be dead set against it as he has a lot of years left and still a bit underated but I also think losing your best player and doomsday scenarios are overrated. Based in emotion not fact.

Judd, ablett, danger, buddy, griffin all changed clubs at the peak and their old teams did pretty well.

As long as you get good compensation 2 firsts (10) plus a young star back then hard to see examples where the club hasn't bounced back well.

Any examples where it decimated a club?
If we don't win a final next year does that mean we've gone backwards?

So another version of Perkins, Reid, Cox and A Davey? We'll be set!
2020 was a poor draft. Just really bad luck that we have a great draft hand in the worst draft since the early 2000s

2020 was a poor draft. Just really bad luck that we have a great draft hand in the worst draft since the early 2000s

Not bad luck to not trade out of it with at least 1 pick. Poor mitigation.

For what it is worth. Better draft as well.

The fact it's all mids or mid hybrids as well, IMO lends itself to developing a cohesive game plan if you can get a group coming through together.

Considering Collingwood traded their future first for 2 picks in the 30's, I doubt that.
I do. We offered one of our picks for the pies F1 and they rejected the offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back