Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Rosas, Kako and Guelfi would be a pretty nice forward line. Don't need Owies.

Also if we do go have a decent cull, Matt Kennedy would be a good alternative to Setterfield who is made out of glass.

Kennedy would be a huge get, the only issue I foresee there is that not only don’t we rate the player, I don’t think we rate the defensive bash and crash role either.

Kennedy would be a huge get, the only issue I foresee there is that not only don’t we rate the player, I don’t think we rate the defensive bash and crash role either.
We really should though.
Was pretty frustrating at back half of year, when the long season was wearing down caldwell/Durhams output, our plan b was to go back to the guys who have shown time and time again they don't like defending and they can't absorb physical pressure.

We are really worried about losing Stringers 40 goals? Do we have a stat on how many we concede due to his blinding deficiencys? I'm guessing it would be a LOT. Plus a stat on how many goals he squandered? And a stat on selfish goals that good teams share? He never became our dusty, left his run too late. I'd rather have Guelfi in his spot any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are really worried about losing Stringers 40 goals? Do we have a stat on how many we concede due to his blinding deficiencys? I'm guessing it would be a LOT. Plus a stat on how many goals he squandered? And a stat on selfish goals that good teams share? He never became our dusty, left his run too late. I'd rather have Guelfi in his spot any day of the week.
It’s a bit early to be drunk already…

I really like Dom Bedendo as a player, just cut by the dogs after 4 years and a couple of games. I like the way he moves in traffic, smooth sidestep, handy as a high hf/wing. Very athletic, combine results "he recorded a whopping 99cm running vertical jump and impressive 2.95-second 20m sprint, an 8.15-second agility test and a 21.2 yo-yo test which are all considered elite across the board. "
this is the exact profile I'd love us to target on the cheap.

It’s a bit early to be drunk already…
People get really seduced by the handful of games Guelf plays like a proper pressure small. His defensive stats are not that much different to Stringers but everyone thinks stringer is lazy and Guelfi is one of our best defensive forwards.
Ignoring the fact its guelfis role to be a pressure small and stringers role to be a goal kicking fwd with cameos at centre bounces, these are how their stats compare for the defensive side of the game:
Stringer 2.5 Tackles, 14.9 pressure acts, 1.2 tackles inside 50
Guelfi 3.5 tackles, 15.7 pressure acts, 1.5 tackles inside 50

Then compare Guelfi to someone like McCreery at the pies, 4.9 tackles, 20.1 pressure acts, 1.6 tackles inside 50.

This isnt having a go at Guelf, I think he is the best option we have on list for the defensive small forward role which unfortunately isnt saying much.
But my main issue is that Stringer is now being targeted by media outlets and some fans for his supposed lack of defensive efforts.
This ignores what role he has been asked to play by the coaching team (what blame do they shoulder for overusing the trump card of "throw stringer in the middle?) and our poor list balance where we have a slew of small forwards that are either too slow or too skinny to play the role of defensive pressure forward.

If you're the Dogs, surely you get on the phone to Shiel. Pick 44 straight up gets it done. Slots into Macrae's spot in the middle nicely

If you're the Dogs, surely you get on the phone to Shiel. Pick 44 straight up gets it done. Slots into Macrae's spot in the middle nicely

Except Macrae stopped playing midfield as they didn't have room for him.

But yes - I think Shiel could serve a purpose to the right team for a couple more years still. Maybe Geelong. Maybe Carlton.

Except Macrae stopped playing midfield as they didn't have room for him.

But yes - I think Shiel could serve a purpose to the right team for a couple more years still. Maybe Geelong. Maybe Carlton.
No to Carlton. Dogs yes b

How many of these blokes do we think are playing for us in 2025? Shiel, Stringer, Lav, Goldy and Weideman

Who is getting regular senior games? Shiel and Stringer with good PS do, the rest probably depend on injury.

Assuming all are on the list in 2025, and the list is fully fit and available (e.g. Reid) and no one significantly declines form-wise.

Stringer is best-22, and Shiel is pretty close to best-22. I'd expect these two to play most weeks pending fitness.

Laverde, Goldstein and Weideman are depth players. Goldstein is your back-up if both Draper and Bryan are injured (given Draper has basically been injured every year that's probably likely) and Laverde can fill a medium or tall defender slot.

I'm not sure you need both Laverde and Weideman on the list if we think Hayes is around the mark for AFL next year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back