Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

What did we need an experienced coach for if he was just going to sit back and let us be ourselves?

Rutten was perfectly good in that role.

You want to know what the difference would be between Lyon and Scott coaching Essendon. The result would almost certainly have been worse to this point but we'd be developing a clear identity based on two-way and hard footy.
Thanks for travelling into the multiverse to confirm really appreciate it

Looks like that Noah Answerth train has well and truly left the station.

Unless he looks at the academy players coming through and sees writing on the wall

I don't think that's the correct read on the situation. We're seeing a couple of contracted players who won't be part of our future getting nudged out the door. If you 'purge' contracted players you're unlikely to get anywhere near what little they're worth in a trade and then you have to replace them with someone in the context of a limited talent pool.

Free agents cost more, McKay isn't worth $900k/yr either but that's what you pay to get someone through the door. Battle isn't worth that kind of money either but that's what he's getting offered to move to the horks. If you desperately need a small forward and there's only one on offer then you pay the asking price or make do with Davey and Menzie playing every game.
It sounds like some of the senior players are being nudged because of off field matters and not entirely due to list balance as some of us initially hoped and thought. Not that he caused off field issues but its like when Kelly retired I thought it was good news we were heading in the right direction and that we probably forced him to retire in reality. Then you hear we offered him 2 years and that Scott was pretty much playing him at every opportunity. If we got less value than we perceive for say a Stringer or Laverde it doesn't matter if it means we improve the balance of our list. But it means we need astute recruiters, players are out there I believe.

Re Gresh, surely we could have found someone in the state leagues that would also give us a fraction less than a goal a game and a tad over 2 tackles. Paying $700k for such a forward who isn't comfortable kicking a drop punt when running straight at goal isn't the way I want business run. There are also the cultural issues it creates when other better players are probably on a fair bit less, not to mention the loss of salary cap space. I appreciate you need to pay a bit extra for free agents but not that much extra.

The first half of season McKay was worth $900k but not the second half 😐.

It sounds like some of the senior players are being nudged because of off field matters and not entirely due to list balance as some of us initially hoped and thought. Not that he caused off field issues but its like when Kelly retired I thought it was good news we were heading in the right direction and that we probably forced him to retire in reality. Then you hear we offered him 2 years and that Scott was pretty much playing him at every opportunity. If we got less value than we perceive for say a Stringer or Laverde it doesn't matter if it means we improve the balance of our list. But it means we need astute recruiters, players are out there I believe.

Re Gresh, surely we could have found someone in the state leagues that would also give us a fraction less than a goal a game and a tad over 2 tackles. Paying $700k for such a forward who isn't comfortable kicking a drop punt when running straight at goal isn't the way I want business run. There are also the cultural issues it creates when other better players are probably on a fair bit less, not to mention the loss of salary cap space. I appreciate you need to pay a bit extra for free agents but not that much extra.

The first half of season McKay was worth $900k but not the second half 😐.
If we did find that guy then we have to pay $700k to someone else as we have to pay a certain percentage of the cap.
Not sure why people get hung up on the price. We signed these guys as we had the money to spend and they will not be on the starting money at the end. Even the Parish and McGrath deals are not linked to cap increases so in two years time they will be paid in the B grade pay section.
Same with McKay. Heavily front loaded contract. If the reports are right it will be more around $650-k to $700k when it ends.
Cap space is not our issue and the recent signings have been set up so it will not be an issue going forward either.
You can not run an AFL club like a normal business and managing the salary cap is the one thing we have done well in the last 20 years.

cap floor

Do we know for sure it was to meet cap floor?
You're putting the cart before the horse. We needed a small forward and the money spent didn't really matter because we don't have many superstars to pay and we have a minimum we need to spend anyway.

You're putting the cart before the horse. We needed a small forward and the money spent didn't really matter because we don't have many superstars to pay and we have a minimum we need to spend anyway.
There are other side effects within organisations when there are disparity in pay relative to performance. To provide incentive give other guys a raise who have improved but still under contract if we had to spend to meet a floor which I am not even sure was a situation. I was fine with what we paid McKay but paying a short, slow forward who is uncomfortable kicking a drop punt to goal on the run that coin doesn't seem good business. To be fair I am not totally against what our list guys have done and they have tried getting elite small forwards but there has been a bit of bad luck not getting Hill, Lohman etc.

Where did the stuff about offering Kelly a contract extension come from? I can't see a reference to it anywhere
I only saw it from a long time Blitz poster (he has been on there since 2002). And seeing Kelly was played at every opportunity gives credence although granted it isn't gospel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back