Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how Geelong don't muck around, season ends and they delist 9, including premiership players. They know who has a future and who doesn't, they strive for their vision at all times. I don't get that vibe from us, we seem to overthink everything.

This is the first time I've seen them delist so many at once and to be fair Geelong is the 2nd oldest list in the comp and would be less inclined to keep experience/mature depth compared to us.

Also you can't compare us to their current point nor is it fair attributing the last 15 years on the current admin.

Last edited:
Interesting with Chad Warner going back home rumours if swans win.
Could we get involved to try and get into Harley Reid?
West coast get Chad warner, essendon future first and future third rounder
Essendon get Harley Reid
Sydney get west coast first rounder, essendon first rounder

Wishful thinking of course but would be an immediate injection of improvement.

Most if not all West Coast supporters are into the Chad Warner idea because they're envisioning a partnership with Reid/speeding up the rebuilding process. If you take Reid out of the equation the Warner recruitment doesn't make it worth it in their eyes to only get one first rounder back, which would probably make them tear the place down.

Love how Geelong don't muck around, season ends and they delist 9, including premiership players. They know who has a future and who doesn't, they strive for their vision at all times. I don't get that vibe from us, we seem to overthink everything.
Well we do not have any premiership players nor would we have any if we delisted a couple of them. We are in the over thinking stage. They also delisted 3 guys who never got a game . They have the balance of real experience and leadership to do it. If we simply move on everyone that should really be moved on in one hit then we will be North Melbourne for 10 years. They way to do it is 3 or 4 every year for the next few years. Allow ourselves the balance of not putting the young blokes into the fire and not losing by 50 plus 10 times a year. We can not be Geelong and use their management style because we do not have the winning culture they have. Every club that has finally crawled out of the mud and won finals and grand finals has done so with a 6 / 7 / 8 or even 9 year build.

Yep.

We still have Weideman on the list.

Billy Frampton has a premiership medal.

It’s really not that big of a deal having a VFL quality KPP on the list as your 7th option
Keeping mature bodies as depth makes sense for teams in contention, it's why Brisbane has Darcy Fort to fall back on now and why Collingwood had Frampton to replace McStay.

It makes less sense for us, hopefully only 1 of Lav/Weid are here come the start of 2025.

Even though I disagree with keeping him I can sort of see the reasoning for keeping Goldy as he's an experienced pro who can provide leadership and advice to our young rucks, Weide doesn't provide any leadership and is a super average footballer.

Thing about Weideman is that he's not that old, still 27 and is younger than Wright. He has the toolsets to become reliable as a late near-200cm bloomer, especially since he doesn't get injured as often. Although it wouldn't be out of place to delist him I can sort of see the club's point of view in keeping him around. Particularly because unlike your Kelly's, Lav's, Heppell's etc; it's not as if he was keeping anyone out of the side.

If it's true North is considering a move for Houston and putting their F1st on the table for him, do we think that's a good move for them? I guess they've got a bunch of early draft picks already on the list, adding Darling, Parker and Houston to their list adds a fair bit of experience. I don't mind it, curious how it unfolds should it eventuate.

I feel like norf have a lot of high draft picks but... they're all midfielders. You need proper KP stock too. Doesn't help that most of the high picks in this draft are midfielders. Worst timing ever.

And, you can have all the high picks you want but if you don't have some maturity to guide them they'll probably tread water.

If it's true North is considering a move for Houston and putting their F1st on the table for him, do we think that's a good move for them? I guess they've got a bunch of early draft picks already on the list, adding Darling, Parker and Houston to their list adds a fair bit of experience. I don't mind it, curious how it unfolds should it eventuate.
If houston goes to north he will be the first player picked in supercoach. He was already a top 10 defender for overall and average score this year. Imagine how much playing the north melb backline seagull role?
Ziebell, aaron hall and zach fisher all started dropping 120+ scores in that role.

Keeping mature bodies as depth makes sense for teams in contention, it's why Brisbane has Darcy Fort to fall back on now and why Collingwood had Frampton to replace McStay.

It makes less sense for us, hopefully only 1 of Lav/Weid are here come the start of 2025.

Even though I disagree with keeping him I can sort of see the reasoning for keeping Goldy as he's an experienced pro who can provide leadership and advice to our young rucks, Weide doesn't provide any leadership and is a super average footballer.
See I disagree there. Having a competent vfl side can both raise training standards and speed up player development.

Having a VFL side that’s just a collection of 19 year olds you plan to put through an attritional process and cut most of I think harms just as much as it helps without structure. You need structure to do it properly and Weid is an important structural piece for the VFL side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I disagree there. Having a competent vfl side can both raise training standards and speed up player development.

Having a VFL side that’s just a collection of 19 year olds you plan to put through an attritional process and cut most of I think harms just as much as it helps without structure. You need structure to do it properly and Weid is an important structural piece for the VFL side.

Sign him to the VFL side then? We can use his list spot for someone with a future.

It's not the end of the world should we keep some of these depth/insurance guys, I'd just like to be more ruthless and not so scared. Even if it adds some short term pain.

I feel like norf have a lot of high draft picks but... they're all midfielders. You need proper KP stock too. Doesn't help that most of the high picks in this draft are midfielders. Worst timing ever.

And, you can have all the high picks you want but if you don't have some maturity to guide them they'll probably tread water.

Looking at some phantom drafts... If they split pick 2 correctly and keep 22, there is a world where Trainor, Armstrong and Shannahan is possible for them in this draft.

It is the right time for North given they have been in the top end of the draft for 4 years. Hawks did a similar thing in the early / mid 2000’s after a few years of early picks.

Sign him to the VFL side then? We can use his list spot for someone with a future.

It's not the end of the world should we keep some of these depth/insurance guys, I'd just like to be more ruthless and not so scared. Even if it adds some short term pain.
Yep. If it means we are playing Hayes instead of Weed, I would call that a win.

Bit of a worry seeing us give new contracts to very deep depth players (Goldy, Weid, Menzie etc) when other clubs are ditching half decent players to cash in on this year's deep draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back