Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

What's going on with list management? I thought Dodoro left.

Rotham, Finn Maginness and Tim Membrey?
With Maginness, surely we can look past his running capacity and realise that he's a shit kick and an average footballer?

Can we please go back to having a quiet off-season if these are the names that are linked to us?

With Maginness, surely we can look past his running capacity and realise that he's a shit kick and an average footballer?

Can we please go back to having a quiet off-season if these are the names that are linked to us?

Reckon he can play the roles of Dunkley and Berry from today's premier. He's kicking is no worse than either of those guys.

The modern game is moving towards mostly role-players doing their part well across the ground instead of relying on a couple stars to get you over the line and small forwards who cause panic and capitalize on turnovers. Two players kicked bags of four today and they were not talls.

We need to keep building synergy/consistency across the board and chase/develop smalls as much as we do KPF's.

The modern game is moving towards mostly role-players doing their part well across the ground instead of relying on a couple stars to get you over the line, and that small forwards who cause panic and capitalize on turnovers are so important. Two players kicked bags of four today and they were not talls.
Following Bobby Hill doing the same last year 👍

Reckon he can play the roles of Dunkley and Berry from today's premier. He's kicking is no worse than either of those guys.
I don't rate Berry, but I think Dunkley is a better footballer than Maginness in almost every way.

Maginness is only really an effective run with player and hasn't really demonstrated more than that at AFL level. There's a reason why his spot in the Hawthorn side is under threat. I guess we can take solace in the fact that we're at least looking towards the right direction by looking at hard-running and accountable players so I can't be too mad at that.

I can't believe we're linked to Membrey and Rotham though. I don't see the positives in that. At all.

Aren’t these names the definition of a quiet off-season?

List has to replace 4 people minimum.

Rotham and Membry are free agents aka cost no outgoing assets and are decent professionals who can lift training standards and provide adaquate depth for players they’d be replacing. Neither is likely best 23 but probably get 5-10 games a year each as injury cover.

So in practice list turnover looks like
Out > in
Hepp > Prior
Lav > Rotham
Kelly > Membry

2 VFL players > FRP + Kako
1 VFL player > Whatever we get back for Jake + Lav

Assuming full health VFL side starts to look like

Rotham Weid Nguyen
Saad Hayes prior

Goldy Setters Hobbs
Loul pick 10 ???

Davey Wright Menzie
Membry Visentini Davey

Decent vfl list there

Rotham and Membry are free agents aka cost no outgoing assets and are decent professionals who can lift training standards and provide adaquate depth for players they’d be replacing. Neither is likely best 23 but probably get 5-10 games a year each as injury cover.

Out > in
Hepp > Prior
Lav > Rotham
Kelly > Membry

Rotham Weid Nguyen
Saad Hayes prior

Goldy Setters Hobbs
Loul pick 10 ???

Davey Wright Menzie
Membry Visentini Davey

Decent vfl list there

My reservation on bringing in mature players is they almost have a right of passage to be first cab off rank when entering a new club. Almost always the guys we've brought in play senior football and a big reason why we continue in mediocrity. Shootfrom the hip on kids and see if we can get players better than a c grade player

Out > in
Hepp > Prior
Lav > Rotham
Kelly > Membry

Rotham Weid Nguyen
Saad Hayes prior

Goldy Setters Hobbs
Loul pick 10 ???

Davey Wright Menzie
Membry Visentini Davey

Decent vfl list there
Not at Essendon. We know they'll be playing at AFL level and I'd rather see some of our younger players have a go.

Use those list spots to find young talented players that are being kept out of the seniors due to a stacked list. GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane etc have plenty of talent. I'd rather finish lower on the ladder than have average older players having us finish 11th on the ladder again.

Not at Essendon. We know they'll be playing at AFL level and I'd rather see some of our younger players have a go.

Use those list spots to find young talented players that are being kept out of the seniors due to a stacked list. GWS, Gold Coast, Brisbane etc have plenty of talent. I'd rather finish lower on the ladder than have average older players having us finish 11th on the ladder again.
If we do actually go down the kids path, we need to have the guts to make tough calls. Dont hold onto said kid in hope that after season 5, 6, 7 they all of a sudden come good

I don't rate Berry, but I think Dunkley is a better footballer than Maginness in almost every way.

Maginness is only really an effective run with player and hasn't really demonstrated more than that at AFL level. There's a reason why his spot in the Hawthorn side is under threat. I guess we can take solace in the fact that we're at least looking towards the right direction by looking at hard-running and accountable players so I can't be too mad at that.

I can't believe we're linked to Membrey and Rotham though. I don't see the positives in that. At all.

Hes not a defender

He cant come in as the extra mid from fwd as they need to play Cmac, Ginni, Watson and Moore

Hes not ahead of any of Day, Newcombe, Nash or Worpel as onballers and they seem to prefer Ward over him

He has shown at VFL level he can win a tonne of footy by himself

His kicking is no worse than Dunkleys

The issue is im not sure i want to give up anymore than an F4 for him and hawks just arent accepting that unless list spots are limited

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don’t rate berry? He’s a very good footballer, who could be so much more in another side but is happy to play a sacrifice role for the team. Could easily go to another side and average 25+ every week being an inside mid

Finn Maginness.
🤔 We should try & do what the filth did to us with Hill, nab Deven Robertson away from West Coke. Do a deal Rosa, get it done.

My reservation on bringing in mature players is they almost have a right of passage to be first cab off rank when entering a new club. Almost always the guys we've brought in play senior football and a big reason why we continue in mediocrity. Shootfrom the hip on kids and see if we can get players better than a c grade player

I think it depends on the player and what they’re offered.

If they are prime age or important players absolutely. But that’s very different to 30yr old free agents who are being pushed out after having already played some VFL.

They are journeyman players who with appropriate expectations who are likely just happy to collect an afl contract for 2-3 more seasons and get whatever post career springboard Essendon offers

Young players who are decent are likely harder to get hence the McGuinness rumours and doubts about Essendon having the draft capital to interest hawthorn

Most of the best 22 is pretty set with younger players from last year finding established roles. Def set wing set Forwards set aside from 1 SF (Kako replacing stringer) and whatever is going on with the mid mix

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back