Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - đź’°đź’°đź’°

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver may not even be worth an F1 it seems
It probably comes down to the portion of the contract each club pays. If the cats pay a big chunk maybe he’s not an F1?

Stringer ain't leaving Victoria
Is a multi year deal more important than being settled in Victoria?

He pretty obviously plays out the next two years at Essendon on two one year deals, is that security more important than being settled in Melbourne?

It probably comes down to the portion of the contract each club pays. If the cats pay a big chunk maybe he’s not an F1?
Yeh spot on

Been reported hes on a million a year for the next 5-6 years

Im more worried how they have the cap space to be honest

I know they lost a few, but a few players have also spruiked up their price aswell

Is a multi year deal more important than being settled in Victoria?

He pretty obviously plays out the next two years at Essendon on two one year deals, is that security more important than being settled in Melbourne?
Might be if his kids are staying down here.

Id rather Harry Morrison over say Rotham albeit different players

Morrison FA and Preuss DFA would be my targets

Im fine with Prior aswell

this is nonsense we took three top 6 picks in 2015-16, and another three top 10s in 2020. the dogs built a premiership team from less.

We took a few picks against our will, when multiple players walked out on the club in both of the examples you gave.
2015 we got a pick from Carlisle leaving (and had our own pick), 2020 we got picks from Daniher and saad leaving, and because of our typical hubris and delusion got half of what we could / should have for Daniher.

Having a couple of good picks isn’t a flipping rebuild - every team get a first each year. On both of the occasions you mentioned they were weak drafts and we got a series of spuds.
Most people on this board don’t rate parish, Francis is barely in the afl,
let alone Archie, cox (scared of his own shadow) and the youngest geriatric in the afl in reid.

If you take picks, and you torch them, you need to do it again, not tell yourself you did it once and so no point trying again. There no elite talent on the list outside of Merrett. Other teams have 3-4 guys with multiple AA.

Remember when we were looking for a coach and Hardwick was an option and he said we needed a hard rebuild, and instead we selected knights cause he told us what we wanted to hear?
This is where misreading the list gets you - 20 years without a finals win.

There is still hope but we may be relying on the

Tsatas, Caddy, Top 10 and Kako group now

Its a tough one, you bottom out then you dont attract free agents. Whereas middle of the road Hawks, Pies, Blues ect still do

You need to stockpile talent and show that the club is turning around, and once people can see the results are improving they jump on board - like at hawthorn (battle and Barrass etc).
Once north turn the corner, then they will be next. Green shoots, then free-agents follow. Not the other way around normally.

I would have liked Hayes in as well but as far as list development goes it is not totally make or break.
I would prefer No to be having Weideman but as far as list assessment goes it was the right move. Get him back to AFL level and see what he has as a defender. He was okay. Nothing special but also not terrible. They now know that if they can not find another defender and Laverde goes he is a back up option for a year an small coin.

My main frustration is we don’t play the younger guys when we know the older guys aren’t getting it done. Maybe they won’t be any good currently, maybe they will be good on the future, who knows?
But we wouldn’t know cause we didn’t give them a run, certainly not in the positions we drafted them in.
The time to experiment and find out about the list is now, not in a few years. Brad keeps saying 7 year rebuild, and almost every decision he makes is short term.
Give Hayes a run, have a look at Weideman, give them a couple of games and see what it looks like.
Probably won’t work, but at least you know. We didn’t do it seriously so we don’t know.
Also, not everything is planned, sometimes you find things by accident - when Sheedy was coach and we were getting smashed he would spin the magnets to find out about the list and get something from the game. We don’t have the imagination for that and it’s stupid and infuriating because it’s so easy to do.

Scott does the hard things quite well, but the easy things poorly. SMH 🤦

My main frustration is we don’t play the younger guys when we know the older guys aren’t getting it done. Maybe they won’t be any good currently, maybe they will be good on the future, who knows?
But we wouldn’t know cause we didn’t give them a run, certainly not in the positions we drafted them in.
The time to experiment and find out about the list is now, not in a few years. Brad keeps saying 7 year rebuild, and almost every decision he makes is short term.
Give Hayes a run, have a look at Weideman, give them a couple of games and see what it looks like.
Probably won’t work, but at least you know. We didn’t do it seriously so we don’t know.
Also, not everything is planned, sometimes you find things by accident - when Sheedy was coach and we were getting smashed he would spin the magnets to find out about the list and get something from the game. We don’t have the imagination for that and it’s stupid and infuriating because it’s so easy to do.

Scott does the hard things quite well, but the easy things poorly. SMH 🤦
I was annoyed when we didnt play Tsatas and Hayes late in the season when either the season was done or had several injuries in their position

But outside of that i dont really have any issues. The guys were in finals in round 19 and still well in the hunt after that. So i can understand why he went the way he did. Theres a huge amount to gain in our position as coach if you make finals and win one

But round 24 has to be 1 week of Hayes, Tsatas, Hobbs ect

Its extremely hard to succeed over the next 5-10 years as melbourne clubs. Your going to need something special. Run of father sons/academies/free agents/ridiculous coach imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We took a few picks against our will, when multiple players walked out on the club in both of the examples you gave.
2015 we got a pick from Carlisle leaving (and had our own pick), 2020 we got picks from Daniher and saad leaving, and because of our typical hubris and delusion got half of what we could / should have for Daniher.

Having a couple of good picks isn’t a flipping rebuild - every team get a first each year. On both of the occasions you mentioned they were weak drafts and we got a series of spuds.
Most people on this board don’t rate parish, Francis is barely in the afl,
let alone Archie, cox (scared of his own shadow) and the youngest geriatric in the afl in reid.

If you take picks, and you torch them, you need to do it again, not tell yourself you did it once and so no point trying again. There no elite talent on the list outside of Merrett. Other teams have 3-4 guys with multiple AA.

Remember when we were looking for a coach and Hardwick was an option and he said we needed a hard rebuild, and instead we selected knights cause he told us what we wanted to hear?
This is where misreading the list gets you - 20 years without a finals win.
this is what some people are actively trying to avoid. We are not giving ourself any opportunity to strike gold, rather sit with established c grade players than shoot from the hip in the 4rd, 4th, 5th rounds

Its extremely hard to succeed over the next 5-10 years as melbourne clubs. Your going to need something special. Run of father sons/academies/free agents/ridiculous coach imo
I was looking at the ladder of recent years, for all the who ha of academies etc. The real leg up is the genuine home ground advantage interstate teams get. Think I worked out that 4/8 teams in finals form previous 10 years were interstate which leaves 4/10 teams from Victoria fighting out for the other 4 spots. Remove the added advantage Geelong have of Cardinia park and 9 Melbourne clubs are fighting for 3 spots in finals

Last edited:
I was looking at the ladder of recent years, for all the who ha of acadmweies etc. The real leg up is the genuine home ground advantage interstate teams get. Think I worked out that 4/8 teams in finals form previous 10 years were interstate which leaves 4/10 teams from Victoria fighting out for the other 4 spots. Remove the added advantage Geelong have of Cardinia park and 9 Melbourne clubs are fighting for 3 spots in finals
Top 6 last 4 years. 9/24 have been Melbourne based

Free Agency/Trade - Your competing with 8-9 other teams and half the time Geelong win due to location. A player ask to leave to anywhere else sometimes you have zero competition if the other club is doing poorly (Brisbane/GC suns era - Dunkley, Neale, Daniher, Cameron, McCarthy) but you are a 50% chance straight off

The Northern Acadamies - Huge advantage to obviousily the QLD and NSW clubs

F/S - This is where only Gold Coast and GWS are disadvantaged to the rest

I think this will be how it goes for the next 5-10 years unless the AFL intervene which they probably wont

Really for Melb clubs to succeed in the next 5-10 years you really need to bottom hard for a long time (North), get an amazing run of NGA/F/S (Maybe Dogs/Pies)

You need to stockpile talent and show that the club is turning around, and once people can see the results are improving they jump on board - like at hawthorn (battle and Barrass etc).
Once north turn the corner, then they will be next. Green shoots, then free-agents follow. Not the other way around normally.

While I absolutely agree with that you have said and about stockpiling talent, the fact that we let Massimo go because we viewed him as a less than ideal fit shows we are not of a mind to just accumulate raw talent and work it out later.

Scott has some perverse vision of what good looks like and we are rolling with whatever fits into that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - đź’°đź’°đź’°

Remove this Banner Ad

Back