Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

If Oliver is a salary dump from Melb and we can get him on the cheap if we pay his contract do we take the punt?

We keep hearing about this warchest we have that we never tend to use

So our Pick 28 - for Clay and we take his contract in full

Last edited:
He was being sarcastic, but isn't the point of those acquisitions the ability to be trading away the Laverde's and Stringer's of the world to get more draft picks, so our rebuild is as good as it can be in what people are calling a super draft?
How many Stringers can we trade? Be a helluva lot of goals, should get something pretty decent back...

I'm more inclined to see if we can get in on any Oliver to Geelong deal.

Something like : Oliver> Geelong
2MP/Shiel/Lav/ > Melb
35 or 37> Ess

Melbourne probably need a F2 from us or Geelong but 2MP gives them a target other than JVR. Shiel helps cover midfield space, Lav helps May+Lever.

I'd be happy to have Caddy with Kako and resign Baldwin.

This probably doesn't work but I've got a splitting headache.

Last edited:

If Oliver is a salary dump from Melb and we can get him on the cheap if we pay his contract do we take the punt?

We keep hearing about this warchest we have that we never tend to use

So our Pick 28 - for Clay and we take his contract in full

We did spend about $2.5m of that warchest last year...

Hard pass, certainly on taking on his contract in full unless you can be absolutely certain he will return to his best footy.

Essendon doesn’t have the culture to be able to absorb a player like Oliver.

Let another team take advantage of that opportunity meanwhile we can fill that spot with a McGuinness or Prior type. Young big tank minimal personnal issues and hopefully just need an opportunity.

Keep that cap room free to target Harley Reid next year

Saints having a sook about the draft is pretty rich given how many high picks they've had over the journey and squandered. The AFL policy is for equality of opportunity not equality of outcome. You still need to run a good ship. That's what keeps the Sydneys and Geelongs up there abouts and the Saints and Essendon and lolnorf in the doldrums.

I suspect they'll not be complaining in ten years when they have the three Riewoldt boys moving through the f/s pathway. Then it'll all be hallowed tradition and romanticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back