Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett, 28 to Saints for 7, F1st, 43
Parish to Dees for 37, 50, F2nd

2024 - 7, 8, Kako
2025 - Our 1st, Saints 1st, Our 2nd, Dees 2nd
Merrett and Parish replaced by Tsatas and Hobbs with 7 quality selections over the next 2 drafts.

That's how I'd try reshape the list. Add in the potential of Draper getting a godfather type offer and you have a crazy draft hand in 2025.
Thats probably what a lot of people would do if you could trade players and their contracts without the players or managers having a say in it. Players have too much power and clubs not enough.

2024 - 7, 8, Kako
Merrett and Parish replaced by Tsatas and Hobbs with 7 quality selections over the next 2 drafts.

That's how I'd try reshape the list. Add in the potential of Draper getting a godfather type offer and you have a crazy draft hand in 2025.
Trading Merrett out of this team is just not an option. The team desperately lacks leadership, standards and competitiveness, and Merrett is the ONLY player on the list capable of consistently demonstrating and driving those values. If you trade out Merrett you have Captain McGrath and set the team up for another decade of mediocrity, low standards and pea-heart culture.

Apparently the free agency compensation is impacted by the free agent not turning 26 until after the calculation is performed. So in essence McKay would have been worth less if he was born in September 1997 instead of December 1997, even though every other part of his career would have been identical.

How is age as a number relevant? Isn't free agency based on the number of years in the system? Isn't age relevant because it reflects wear and tear on the body, etc? Late birthdays stop being relevant once the player turns 19 because if he's 6 to 8 months younger than a lot of his competition in his 18th year it can represent a significant difference in physical maturity.

Consider me triggered.

Apparently the free agency compensation is impacted by the free agent not turning 26 until after the calculation is performed. So in essence McKay would have been worth less if he was born in September 1997 instead of December 1997, even though every other part of his career would have been identical.

How is age as a number relevant? Isn't free agency based on the number of years in the system? Isn't age relevant because it reflects wear and tear on the body, etc? Late birthdays stop being relevant once the player turns 19 because if he's 6 to 8 months younger than a lot of his competition in his 18th year it can represent a significant difference in physical maturity.

Consider me triggered.
really does make it sound like they make it up as they go. Should be more transparency as otherwise it feels like they find a way to justify higher comp for teams like GWS/North/Suns vs other teams.
On other hand I do find it a bit rich that Saints are pre-complaining about what Battle comp will be as they made out like bandits with Gresham comp considering where he was in the pecking order there.

Trading Merrett out of this team is just not an option. The team desperately lacks leadership, standards and competitiveness, and Merrett is the ONLY player on the list capable of consistently demonstrating and driving those values. If you trade out Merrett you have Captain McGrath and set the team up for another decade of mediocrity, low standards and pea-heart culture.
I hear that and It makes sense, we assume Zach is a good leader because he's a good player, how good is he with the young kids?

I'm not saying he isn't a good leader fwiw.

2024 - 7, 8, Kako

If we finish bottom 4 / 5 next year and can push Draper out the door for 1st rd compensation, that could really give us serious draft currency. Then we could chase Reid or hit the draft. Move on some more spuds in the process.

Time to take advantage of free agency like we should have with parish and redman, rather thank giving Draper a ridiculous 6 yr contract.

Stringers suitors dwindling by the day. Bit of an indictment on him that teams seem to be going out of their way to say that they don’t want him at their footy club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stringers suitors dwindling by the day. Bit of an indictment on him that teams seem to be going out of their way to say that they don’t want him at their footy club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So what happens if we can’t find trade partners for leverde and stringer?

They stay on and we finish from 7th to 14th?

This wouldn’t be the go backwards rebuild we thought it would be.

So what happens if we can’t find trade partners for leverde and stringer?

They stay on and we finish from 7th to 14th?

This wouldn’t be the go backwards rebuild we thought it would be.

Laverde wasn’t in Scott’s best 22 in round 1 of this year

Laverde wasn’t in Scott’s best 22 in round 1 of this year
I know that, but he played majority of the games.

still a lot of supporters were thinking that by trading leverde and stringer that it would be a reset that would put us in the top few of next years draft.

In my opinion, by just trading out leverde and stringer it wasn’t a big enough move in that direction for us, but retaining them would be no move.

There’s also Shiel and setterfeild, who we will unlikely find homes for who could feature at times in our best 22.

I’m just interested to see where all this ends up, which to me could be a wasted off season.

I want to see a direction from
Essendon either get some guns in and compete or trade those players mentioned, and potentially more too, and get to the top of the draft.

I know that, but he played majority of the games.

still a lot of supporters were thinking that by trading leverde and stringer that it would be a reset that would put us in the top few of next years draft.

In my opinion, by just trading out leverde and stringer it wasn’t a big enough move in that direction for us, but retaining them would be no move.

There’s also Shiel and setterfeild, who we will unlikely find homes for who could feature at times in our best 22.

I’m just interested to see where all this ends up, which to me could be a wasted off season.

I want to see a direction from
Essendon either get some guns in and compete or trade those players mentioned, and potentially more too, and get to the top of the draft.
I'm mostly happy with our current list, we just weren't fit enough this year, give em all a huge preseason, get in their heads that they are good enough and we are halfway there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm mostly happy with our current list, we just weren't fit enough this year, give em all a huge preseason, get in their heads that they are good enough and we are halfway there.
I think the fitness was fine, unless you’re talking about health.
We didn’t really get blown out too often, and would usually fight till the final siren.

Our biggest weakness was our ball movement from defence, which could get helped by having Reid and Ridley all season.

Our list isn’t far off being good, but the separation is actually not depth it’s superstars, our best player can’t even feature in the all Australian team.
Superstars are the hardest commodity to find, hence posters wanting us to get towards the top of next years draft.

I'd say we have too many tall forwards. It was the mediom forwards that won Lions the flag.

Caddy, Jones, 2MP, Draper even maybe Cox is 2 too many talls IMO.

We need speed too.
People need to stop looking at Cox as a tall despite his 200cm. Plays more like a mobile medium as far as athletic ability goes.

2024 - 7, 8, Kako

Problem with trading Merrett is it strips the only genuine experienced leader we have out of the side. One reason we suck is we have failed to draft genuine leaders with a bit of edge. You have to take that into consideration. If you do not then you end up with what Melbourne did late 2000's early 2010's when they had a heap of selections inside the top 25 over a 3 or 4 year period and went no where.
The only way Merrett goes is if he want to go. I know he gets the best return but you can not build anything without leaders.

Problem with trading Merrett is it strips the only genuine experienced leader we have out of the side. One reason we suck is we have failed to draft genuine leaders with a bit of edge. You have to take that into consideration. If you do not then you end up with what Melbourne did late 2000's early 2010's when they had a heap of selections inside the top 25 over a 3 or 4 year period and went no where.
The only way Merrett goes is if he want to go. I know he gets the best return but you can not build anything without leaders.
Would you play him across halfback?

Would you play him across halfback?
Yes. If they can set a side to play Martin loose from half back then they can do the same for Merrett.

I do. We don't need any more medium forwards. In fact we should be trying to shed them. Stringer going and replacing him with Membrey doesn't solve anything.
This. Stringer and Membrey are the same age. What's the point of trading Stringer and replacing him with a medium forward that doesn't help us with forward pressure? What could Membrey possibly bring to our side that is ground-breaking enough to remove Stringer and recruit him?

Stringer is perfectly capable of filling that placeholder role. I'm baffled we're even linked to him.

This. Stringer and Membrey are the same age. What's the point of trading Stringer and replacing him with a medium forward that doesn't help us with forward pressure? What could Membrey possibly bring to our side that is ground-breaking enough to remove Stringer and recruit him?

Stringer is perfectly capable of filling that placeholder role. I'm baffled we're even linked to him.
We where only linked "if" Stringer went. If Stringer stays then there is no need. Membrey a much different player. He can actually mark to start with. You can play him as a marking forward. He is just someone who could play a role for a couple of years as a different type. Lets face it our forwards are not the best marks. It is not something that would be a must.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back