Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously anything could still happen but this is shaping up to be our quietest trade period that I can recall, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing tbh.
Seems it will be a trade period where draft picks will be king, plenty of clubs will be trying to trade their 2025 picks.

2024 picks are all the rage, and 2025 picks will never be cheaper, we could seriously turn 8 and 31 into 3 picks inside 25 next year and points for Kako.

Kako and then a monster 2025 draft hand sounds ok to me.

Seems it will be a trade period where draft picks will be king, plenty of clubs will be trying to trade their 2025 picks.

2024 picks are all the rage, and 2025 picks will never be cheaper, we could seriously turn 8 and 31 into 3 picks inside 25 next year and points for Kako.

Kako and then a monster 2025 draft hand sounds ok to me.
I can understand the logic behind this, however what's the point of loading up on next years draft if it's shallow? Not all draft years are equal (you only need to look at 2016 draft vs the 2018 draft to see this).

If anything I think we should be looking to do everything to ensure we get an additional top10 selection this year AND Kako and we need to try and have something left over at the end to grab another player who has slid (like we did with Roberts last year).

If we offered up 9 AND our F1 how far up the order could we jump?

I can understand the logic behind this, however what's the point of loading up on next years draft if it's shallow? Not all draft years are equal (you only need to look at 2016 draft vs the 2018 draft to see this).

If anything I think we should be looking to do everything to ensure we get an additional top10 selection this year AND Kako and we need to try and have something left over at the end to grab another player who has slid (like we did with Roberts last year).

I don't know how good next years draft will be, I don't think anyone does. No one was trying to push picks back last year into this draft because they knew this draft would be strong.

Anyway just a little thought I had.

Tbh, i think next season is a real wait and see on a lot of our players, no longer are they kids, most have had 2-3 preseasons now and should be making improvements:

Cox, Reid, Davey Jnr, Hobbs, Tsatas, Perkins, Bryan, Hayes and Jones I think really need to show progress next season. (Lots of talls in that group, and for that reason I’d be reluctant to draft any more talls until we know what we are dealing with)

Obviously anything could still happen but this is shaping up to be our quietest trade period that I can recall, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing tbh.
It is for the trade period nuffs who dream of us being involved in every continental tyres megatrade(tm)

Recruiters aren’t always 100% right and this draft while deep isn’t considered to have many notable star players.

trading into next year (while still getting this years best SF for peanuts) and having the pick capital to chase a star like Reid or Callaghan if you don’t like the players availiable is a pretty good position to be in.

its not just the $$ amount but the length of contract. Redman has been tied down to a contract akin to an AA and perennially top3 - 5 best & fairest performer. He hasn't since and from memory had maybe 1 top 5 finish prior to signing the contract extension.

I think we can all agree from the outside that if Rosa does move on a Shiel or Laverde let alone a Hobbs or Tsatas then he means business. We need points for a Kako bid, is Rosa game enough to pull the trigger?
All im saying is decent management of the cap has left Rosa in a workable starting position. The length of the contracts are mitigated by the fact there are no pay increases built in, the money is not outrageous to begin with, and we have frontloaded a lot (which rebuilding teams should be doing). If a team was actually interested in McGrath, Parish or Redman this year we could move them easily and get a reasonable pick in return. They are not actually on superstar money. All in the 600 to 800 range with no pay increases in sight as the cap rises each year. The issue with moving the players is there needs to be combination of a team being interested, the coach not wanting them and them wanting to move. Thats what we dont have.

Probably sounds like im defending Dodoro which im not. His list build philosophy (combined with the coaches he worked with) was shown to have a ceiling of mid table, which is not good enough. One thing that looks to have been done right is leave Rosa a starting platform of a young midtable list, with contracts that are moveable if he chose to, and a salary cap that is not blown out.

I guess i originally replied to you because of the legacy comment implying Rosa's hands were tied by the previous regime, which i dont think they are.

Doorstop with rosa

-stringer, some outside interest but contacted and playing good footy with us.
-laverde, ditto.
-shiel, frustrated with body early but playing good footy, no interest , expects to stay
-stone, have interest, but prefer to keep our draft hand and go young
-maguinness, fits out profile with running ability, don't expect it to happen as contracted
- setters, keeping list flexibility

He pretty much said nothing about anything'. Dodo school.

Unless your ditching prime players (we won't) now is not the time to try and buy your way into a strong draft. You are buying at all time high prices and you aren't getting value. The time to get picks was last year.

So the move is either stocking up on next year or sticking fat with our hand that we find ourselves with. Hopefully maybe a lesson not to leave ourselves with barely any capital when you are a mediocre team.

I don't know how good next years draft will be, I don't think anyone does. No one was trying to push picks back last year into this draft because they knew this draft would be strong.

Anyway just a little thought I had.
I am not 100% sure on next year either but the apparent scramble to get in this year would suggest clubs rate this year as better right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt, clubs are super keen for this draft. Might mean it's possible to get someone to severely overpay for our picks.
Just have to be a bit careful I think the rule is still you have to have 3 picks so if this is the case there would be two very back end picks this year after Kako chews up the points.

Below is from the draft guide posted on the AFL site 4 hours ago.

How are clubs allocated their draft selections?​

• Draft selections are the reverse order of the finishing ladder from that season. In 2024, Richmond finished 18th, therefore its first draft pick is No.1. North Melbourne finished 17th, so its pick is No.2. Brisbane won the premiership, so its pick is No.18.
  • This repeats a minimum of three times (each club must select three players at the draft) but can go beyond that depending on the number of list spots each club has to fill.
  • With clubs able to trade a year in advance, the selections aren't always a perfect reverse order. For example, in 2023, Collingwood traded its future first-round pick to Fremantle as part of the Lachie Schultz trade. It means the Dockers have pick No.11 - which is essentially the Magpies' pick for finishing ninth - in the draft this year.

Doorstop with rosa

-stringer, some outside interest but contacted and playing good footy with us.
-laverde, ditto.
-shiel, frustrated with body early but playing good footy, no interest , expects to stay
-stone, have interest, but prefer to keep our draft hand and go young
-maguinness, fits out profile with running ability, don't expect it to happen as contracted
- setters, keeping list flexibility

He pretty much said nothing about anything'. Dodo school.
I appreciate that approach, don’t look too desperate to shop blokes around or clubs will try to negotiate a bargain

Just have to be a bit careful I think the rule is still you have to have 3 picks so if this is the case there would be two very back end picks this year after Kako chews up the points.

Below is from the draft guide posted on the AFL site 4 hours ago.

How are clubs allocated their draft selections?​

• Draft selections are the reverse order of the finishing ladder from that season. In 2024, Richmond finished 18th, therefore its first draft pick is No.1. North Melbourne finished 17th, so its pick is No.2. Brisbane won the premiership, so its pick is No.18.
  • This repeats a minimum of three times (each club must select three players at the draft) but can go beyond that depending on the number of list spots each club has to fill.
  • With clubs able to trade a year in advance, the selections aren't always a perfect reverse order. For example, in 2023, Collingwood traded its future first-round pick to Fremantle as part of the Lachie Schultz trade. It means the Dockers have pick No.11 - which is essentially the Magpies' pick for finishing ninth - in the draft this year.

I am fairly certain rookie upgrades count as a pick though so you would assume we are already using one of the three picks on Menzie.

We currently have 1-3 senior spots and 2-4 rookie spots open on the list. If we cut to 33 we can pick 3-5 players in the draft but we must have 36 minimum.

We’re not in a good spot. We have an average list (just finished 11th), have no draft picks outside the bare minimum and we seem to have no appetite to trade away valuable players to improve our hand. Stringer, Shiel or Laverde aren’t going to land much if anything.

It’d be a shock if we did anything interesting, we’re not really in a place to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back