Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but it doesn’t make sense to me to go for Melbournes offer over Norths just because they threw in some later picks. Could be the difference between a top 3 pick and a pick outside the top 10.

Throw a future second around for points if you’re that worried. Every top team manages to gather a few thirds whenever they need to match a bid.
I don't believe North are going to be that bad next year especially with Parker and possibly Houston if he selects them. Melbourne are a bit shaky because cultural and player issues really makes clubs explode.

But the biggest incentive to trade with Melbourne over North is that they not only give us an F1, but also enough points to cover a Kako bid so we don't go into deficit next year which is essentially like trading 9 for two firsts.

I believe Melbourne are the best option.

Is Kako not top talent?

You also need to develop your high picks and I think our best 23 will still be pretty young/inexperienced to the point where with trying to fit Tsatas and Kako in there isn’t much room for another top rookie.

Having a 20 b and C graders is a problem but having 30-40 is an opportunity as you can start to combine assets and consolidate talent without negatively impacting the sides peformance.

I’d imagine picks 28 and possibly 34 get traded for more points/future assets before trade week is over. Drafts tend to get cheaper to trade back into on draft night. Rosa has said he wants to take 4 picks and I would expect 3 of those in the 30-50 range where teams won’t be overly enthused with too many players and there will be opportunities for a bargain
Maybe talent was the wrong word

Top end players

His talent suggest so, but we know not all work out to be, so more the better

Yeh id hope we atleast bring in an F2 for those picks

Dees have the greatest range, but i cant see them being top 4. North i think are guaranteed bottom 4-5

Darling and Parker are both cooked

Maybe talent was the wrong word

Top end players

His talent suggest so, but we know not all work out to be, so more the better

Yeh id hope we atleast bring in an F2 for those picks

Dees have the greatest range, but i cant see them being top 4. North i think are guaranteed bottom 4-5

Darling and Parker are both cooked
The north pick is obviously has the highest expected upside but if your playing the odds a 9 for f1 vs 9 for f1 + 2 2nds (by not picking Kako) and a 3rd is just a higher floor outcome.

Given the new academy rules and points curve if we go into next season with 3 2nd rd picks (assuming we trade out of ours this season) that’s a chance to get 3 FRPS ours, Melbourne F1 + points trade up.

that’s a likely outcome of 3FRP next season which we can either use to rebalance and add depth or have a real package to chase an elite young player to add to the list in a position of need.

I'd much rather Norfs first rounder to Melbourne's.

If Norfs interest is real and we passed on their F1 for Melbourne's pick next year, that is borderline malpractice - regardless of the extra picks.

Melbourne will be a top 8 team next year, Norf will be lucky to get out of the bottom 4.

This. We’ve fluffed ourselves epically, essentially lost all leverage. If north had genuine interest that would have been huge for us. Now it’ll be a middling pick and some points.
The thing that annoys me the most is we will get points for stringer and Shiel, maybe even others - why not see where that lands before making the decision. Seems incompetent.
We finally get rid of dodoro and we do this. At least wait till trade week is done and let other teams become more desperate.
Also, ppl saying we can just trade back in - all clubs are desperate to get into this draft, why would they trade out? To do us a favour cause we want them to? Go the Essendon bombers facepalms

I'd much rather Norfs first rounder to Melbourne's.

If Norfs interest is real and we passed on their F1 for Melbourne's pick next year, that is borderline malpractice - regardless of the extra picks.

Melbourne will be a top 8 team next year, Norf will be lucky to get out of the bottom 4.

Melbourne top 8 call may age incredibly badly.

I’d grab Konstanty for free for sure.

Surely we are looking to trade our R2 pick out this year given it’ll be absorbed by Kako bid?
It could be very valuable to have 2 F2s given all the FS and academy bids next year.

The north pick is obviously has the highest expected upside but if your playing the odds a 9 for f1 vs 9 for f1 + 2 2nds (by not picking Kako) and a 3rd is just a higher floor outcome.

Given the new academy rules and points curve if we go into next season with 3 2nd rd picks (assuming we trade out of ours this season) that’s a chance to get 3 FRPS ours, Melbourne F1 + points trade up.

that’s a likely outcome of 3FRP next season which we can either use to rebalance and add depth or have a real package to chase an elite young player to add to the list in a position of need.
Yeh i guess it depends what happens from here

Its vital we get some F2s from these picks now

I can't believe people think Melbourne are going to collapse next year. They were 2 wins out of the top 8 this year and now:
1. They are getting a fit Petracca back for more than half a year
2. Have a bottom 6 draw (super easy)
3. Have an offseason to adjust to filling Bradshaw's role (not two weeks)
4. Have two top 10 picks they will add to their team

If they get a half motivated Oliver next year they are a top 6 team. No amount of junket picks this year make up for passing on a probably top 5 Pick next year from Norf if they were serious.

Melbournes offer allows points for this year which may assist with other moves they have planned, we don't know even half the story or their thinking. We also don't know the full details of any potential deal with north.

The assumption that Melbourne are going to rocket back up the ladder because "it's Melbourne" and they may have a softer draw ignores the following -
1. seemingly massive cultural issues, numerous players wanting out.
2. Their best player coming back from a serious life threatening injury who also seemingly wanted out.
3. Their other prime midfielder having serious off field issues
4.their captain and leader being older with huge wear on the tyres.
5. Their two key backs getting up there in age.
6. Still no forward line.

North are due to bounce, some of the more advanced stats last year were starting to show this.
I'd be willing to bet they aren't finishing bottom 4 next year.

It was no guarantee these picks will be that much different.

And after all the positive stuff I've had to read about how this club does things and the defence that has been written here all year about everything it does (not explicitly by you) how about we just continue that form and assume that if the deal was so astronomically imbalanced and as simple as taking a bottom 3 pick vs a top 6 pick that the guy in charge has a good reason for not doing the deal.

I'll admit I know absolutely nothing when it comes to the draft/picks/points/bidding etc. It's always kind of confused me. But for my understanding. If we kept pick 9, and lets say on draft night it gets to our pick and no one has tried to get Kako yet - does that mean we would take him with 9? Does it mean we could take someone else with 9 and still get kako later? If someone else tried to take kako after our pick 9 would we have enough left to outbid them?

I'm assuming if we picked someone else with 9 it would mean we have nothing left to get kako if someone else tries to get him. Otherwise giving up pick 9 to Melbourne doesn't make sense. Giving up 9 sort of "removes the temptation" for us to use it on someone? And then what we get from Melbourne for it means no matter where someone tries to get him, we have enough points to secure him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe people think Melbourne are going to collapse next year. They were 2 wins out of the top 8 this year and now:
1. They are getting a fit Petracca back for more than half a year
2. Have a bottom 6 draw (super easy)
3. Have an offseason to adjust to filling Bradshaw's role (not two weeks)
4. Have two top 10 picks they will add to their team

If they get a half motivated Oliver next year they are a top 6 team. No amount of junket picks this year make up for passing on a probably top 5 Pick next year from Norf if they were serious.
And they still have no forward line. They are a classic of example of a side that could go either way. Two years of straight set losses follow by missing finals. Internal issues. Some board issues. Coach under the pump.

I think lots confuse a super draft with a very even top bunch that nobody can identify the standout 1 2 or 3
Agree and super drafts are never really revealed until after anyway. There have been a couple of super drafts that ended up being just good drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back