Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I remembered that West Coast did something similar in 2022. They traded pick 2 to North (and Rioli to Port) for pick 8, 12, Port's 2023 2nd and 3rd in that JHF mega deal.

North selected Harry Sheezel with pick 2. West Coast selected Reuben Ginbey, Elijah Hewett, Clay Hall and Harvey Johnstone.

Harry Sheezel looks to be worth more in the long run. He's definitely the better player now, but I guess it hinges on how well Hewett can come back from injury. The other two are speculative at best.

To do it once is ok, but twice in 3 years as a bottom side?

Imagine they had Sheezel, Reid and Lalor?
Agree. They’ve had a few opportunities to get top end elite talent and chose middling talent outside of Reid.
Maybe due to retention, but thinking it’s not a huge downgrade is optimistic at best.

I think the tall forwards seem pretty locked in

With Draper Caddy langers and jones in off the wing.

I think we’re keeping Wright as injury cover and potential Draper leaving cover, but would be suprised if he played more AFL then VFL next season.

Pressure Forward positions should be a hotly contested spot. Gresham will likely be locked in but there’s 3 spots and a lot of players wanting them (Kako, Daveys, Menzie, Saad, Guelf, Perk, Dursma, mids like Hobbs/Sheil/Caldwell/Parish)

We probably draft a HHF at some point as well.
2mp plays before Bryan to start the season I think.

For every good game Stringer played in 2023 and 2024 he played 3 bad ones. Was a liability whenever he was given midfield minutes, which was unfortunately too often. Provided some great highlights, but also a lot of "WTF are you doing?" moments. Wasn't going to be there for our next flag tilt, whenever that is.

Kelly, Heppell and Stringer all gone is a great off-season for us so far. Opens up three best 23 spots for players who may actually have a future with us. Let's see what we do at the draft.

Last edited:

I hope this is some precursor to a Harley Reid trade, west coast preoccupied trying to get Chad Warner where we poach Harley from under their nose. 3 way trade Chad to west coast Harley to Essendon, and picks to Sydney.

At least with dodo, he was trying to get better each season, even though it culminated in a lot of b/c grade recruits.

We aren’t rebuilding or recruiting.

God we are gonna need some break out seasons next year.
Not sure we get many to be honest. Just dont see it

B/C grade results... sure, but he gave up D grade capital for them. Im also confident Mckay will be seen as an A grade type at some point

Albeit everyones definitions are far different

I wouldve liked to have run with Dodoro focusing on Trades, Rosa focusing on contracts and draft

Anyway hopefully a top end develops next year and we no doubt have a top 5 pick

Not sure we get many to be honest. Just dont see it

B/C grade results... sure, but he gave up D grade capital for them. Im also confident Mckay will be seen as an A grade type at some point

Albeit everyones definitions are far different

I wouldve liked to have run with Dodoro focusing on Trades, Rosa focusing on contracts and draft

Anyway hopefully a top end develops next year and we no doubt have a top 5 pick
Nah I am happy we moved Dodoro on.

Cal said a bid was coming for pick 9 for Kako. I think what we did was better than over paying to move higher in the draft say give next years F1 to move up a few picks.

We got a bunch of picks. From by the time all the acadamy bids come in the 40+ picks move up a fair bit. And we have until Nov 8th to trade picks too. Think Rosa has done we. There was no market for Stringer. Everyone he went to said no. Even GWS hesitated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I am happy we moved Dodoro on.

Cal said a bid was coming for pick 9 for Kako. I think what we did was better than over paying to move higher in the draft say give next years F1 to move up a few picks.

We got a bunch of picks. From by the time all the acadamy bids come in the 40+ picks move up a fair bit. And we have until Nov 8th to trade picks too. Think Rosa has done we. There was no market for Stringer. Everyone he went to said no. Even GWS hesitated.

Keep 9, keep stringer was the way to go

There was no definite bid for Kako. Im not sure Cal said exactly that, but if he did i think it was based on the fact we did the trade

Rosa said he had no idea of when a bid would come

Dodoro had zero forward planning and simply chased shiny toys.

This trade period has been everything Dodoro wouldn’t have done. That didn’t result in a Premiership so maybe this will.

Kako was in a really awkward position for us, too early to guarantee our first would get in before the bed, and high enough that it will likely eat up a couple of 2nds so we couldn’t just trade back and take a few guys there either.

We’ve moved capital in to next year and still have a few 2nds this year if the Kako bid comes a bit later and doesn’t eat up as much as it could.

It’s unexciting, but also haven’t done anything stupid.

I like this reasonably quiet, calm, trade period. Most thought the most important thing was off loading a few and we've done that. Feels like there's a bit of direction/plan, not just chase a big fish to win trade week.

Yeah but We have also offloaded multiple starting best 22 players, and frankly there is sweet **** all to replace them. Our playing list is in all sorts…

I reckon we are going to take a huge backwards step next year unless some major breakouts occur across the list. Wether that backwards step is the right thing to do to develop the kids is the question.

We are entering 3rd year of Scott’s 4 year deal. He and barnham would starting to get very nervous for next season I think. If it’s a shit show, they are dead man walking.

I am not confident we are doing the right thing, but I’m always happy to be proven wrong….

Hawks overpaid for Barass.

Bloke is 30 next year.

He is good but similar to Jack Darling and Kennedy he has always been Robin to McGovern's Batman.

We must nail a big free agent next year

And will Scott be allowed to miss finals 4 years straight in his 4th year? Or will improvement from 14-15th position in 2025 be enough
I disagree, we should be praying that Draper is poached and we receive Band 1 compo imo.

I disagreed with trading 9 out for Melbournes F1, but here we are.

Both Melbourne and Essendon could be bottom four sides next year, if Draper leaves we could have 3 top 5 picks next year.

I think Brad has time on his side as long as the messaging moving forwards is youth and system driven. This needs to be shown at the selection table.

We finish bottom 4 but get 15-20 games into Hayes, Reid, Caddy, Kako, Bryan and Brad will be alright.

I disagree, we should be praying that Draper is poached and we receive Band 1 compo imo.

I disagreed with trading 9 out for Melbournes F1, but here we are.

Both Melbourne and Essendon could be bottom four sides next year, if Draper leaves we could have 3 top 5 picks next year.

I think Brad has time on his side as long as the messaging moving forwards is youth and system driven. This needs to be shown at the selection table.

We finish bottom 4 but get 15-20 games into Hayes, Reid, Caddy, Kako, Bryan and Brad will be alright.
Not sure what you disagree with

Im talking about Brad in his 4th year, if that year is his 4th consecutive finals miss, does he get a renewed contract?

I hope so, i think hes the right man, but hasnt been the essendon way after those results, and many before him have been giving leas time with those results

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back