Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

One of Hobbs’ biggest problems is that he compounds being physically slow with being mentally slow. It’s unlikely he will get any faster (nigh impossible), so he needs to make faster decisions. My bugbear is when he gets the ball and instead of moving it quickly he craps himself and turtles the ball, inevitably getting pinned for HTB.
I think we'll find that once he's settled into a role & is more familiar with who he is playing alongside those decisions will quicken up. His ability to draw contact before he releases the ball is a strength of his but the downside is that players like that are more often pinned for HTB.

I still have faith in him but unfortunately his lack of ability to play multiple positions hurts his chances of being a regular seniors player for the time being.

That is really really stupid.

Them being small doesn't mean they have the same issues. Not to mention the fact that he's also the tallest.and heaviest of the group you're mentioning.

Parish's issues are the fact that he isn't overly damaging and is poor defensively on transition and at 27 isn't really a leader nor is he likely to be part of our next premiership side.

Hobbs' issues stem from the fact that he's very slow and therefore not great on the spread and lacks versatility to play multiple positions, so a question mark on where he fits in the side.

Shiel's main issues are the fact that he doesn't have the same speed from stoppage that he used to have and we all know about his kicking issues, and the fact that he too turns 32 next year and unlikely to be in our next premiership side.

Caldwell's main issue is that he's a low production midfielder unlike Shiel and Parish. However he covers the ground better defensively than both, he's more damaging than both and he's also a good leader with captaincy possibilities in the future. Is he worth more than Parish on the trade table? Maybe, but I doubt it. Is he worth more to us over the next 5 years? Absolutely.

Stop looking at their heights and just saying because they're similar that they have the same issues. It's shallow and not as smart as you think it is.

They have the same main/core issue which is as a group they are too weak defensively because it takes them more effort to tackle being small and that issue compounds the more of them play together. They can’t absorb physical pressure as a group.

The height is just shorthand for that. It’s shallow shorthand and it’s true.

Focusing on positive compounding and reducing negative compounding skills is the key to good list building.

All 4 of those mids (5 really) are good or better players in their own right. But if you can’t fit them in the same side it makes sense to sell off the most valuable ones (unless they are Merrett because he’s captain) because it nets you the most positive return

They have the same main/core issue which is as a group they are too weak defensively because it takes them more effort to tackle being small and that issue compounds the more of them play together. They can’t absorb physical pressure as a group.

Focusing on positive compounding and reducing negative compounding skills is the key to good list building.

All 4 of those mids (5 really) are good or better players in their own right. But if you can’t fit them in the same side it makes sense to sell off the most valuable ones (unless they are Merrett because he’s captain) because it nets you the most positive return
It's not true. Caldwell is very good defensively both at a stoppage and on the spread.

If you think that Caldwell is similar to Parish or Shiel then I'm convinced you have no bloody clue what you're talking about.

I honestly don't know how anybody could look at how they play and say that they have the same issues. If we want to trade one in terms of value for money it would be Parish.

Caldwell maybe on the smaller size but its nuts to think he cant absorb or apply physical pressure. Go back and watch the dogs game, Duz got all the acclaim for his job on Bont but Caldwell went head to head with Libba and blunted his impact too.

I agree as a group we have this issue but he is one of the few mids who has improved us in this regards so why would we toss him out to slot proven defensive liabilities parish/shiel back in?
Parish is the guy we shouldve moved on, but the ship has probably sailed as his stocks are very low now. In addition to the shortcomings Eth posted above one thing I noticed going to games live at back end of the year is even when we have ball in hand Parish is rarely gut running to provide the backline an out. he is happy to guard grass and wait for them to fumble their way out of the backline.

Weid delisted.

We can now use all our picks that have points.

Still reckon Davey gets shifted to the rookie list as our last uncontacted player.
Nope. Depending on Menzie (rules aren't exactly clear whether or not this year counted as his third year on the rookie list or not) we're either at 32/3 or 33/2. If it's the former we still need one more list spot open, the latter it's two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hobbs, Tsatas, Roberts, El Hawli are some that spring to mind being ready
Agree with this.

I’m happy we’re regenerating younger but not necessarily worried we’ll go back wards…
  • Kelly, Hepp & Hind out with Roberts & El Hawli covering 2 of them might be an improvement
  • Reid (or if injured Hayes) in for Lav (goes to vfl) … hopefully break even or better
  • Gresh goes closer to goal with Perkins playing HHF with Stringer out … maybe Hobbs or Tsatas getting a few of Stringer’s centre square starts

Nope. Depending on Menzie (rules aren't exactly clear whether or not this year counted as his third year on the rookie list or not) we're either at 32/3 or 33/2. If it's the former we still need one more list spot open, the latter it's two.

My feeling is that the AFL won't count the half season in the three years.

Either way we will be able to use all our picks and move him to the main list of we take Davey off it.

Caldwell maybe on the smaller size but its nuts to think he cant absorb or apply physical pressure. Go back and watch the dogs game, Duz got all the acclaim for his job on Bont but Caldwell went head to head with Libba and blunted his impact too.

I agree as a group we have this issue but he is one of the few mids who has improved us in this regards so why would we toss him out to slot proven defensive liabilities parish/shiel back in?
Parish is the guy we shouldve moved on, but the ship has probably sailed as his stocks are very low now. In addition to the shortcomings Eth posted above one thing I noticed going to games live at back end of the year is even when we have ball in hand Parish is rarely gut running to provide the backline an out. he is happy to guard grass and wait for them to fumble their way out of the backline.

You do realise libba is small right. He’s a nugget who goes hard but he’s not someone with overwhelming physicality.

According to google most of our players are in the low 80s while equivalent players at other clubs are high 80s/low 90s

In boxing that’s literally a different weight class. (Light heavyweight vs Cruiser weight)

Could 1 very skilled light heavyweight defeat a cruiser Wright fighter at different fighting weights? Maybe

Could 3 skilled light heavyweights survive sustained pressure against equivalently skilled cruiserweight opponents with a reach advantage….

Because that’s what Essendon is asking their mids to do right now and We’ve seen what’s happened vs clubs with stronger mid groups like Geelong.

Gotta trade the guys with the most value of you want to improve at the highest rate.

My feeling is that the AFL won't count the half season in the three years.

Either way we will be able to use all our picks and move him to the main list of we take Davey off it.
It's murky because they previously have counted it but the new rookie list laws have indicated they might not.

Damo not happy that we didn’t provide enough content (aka Dodo leaks) for trade radio this year??
“Ring it and tell it” Damo write good!!
View attachment 2146667
I read this and had NFI what he was on about. We likely turned pick 9 into 3 first round draft picks (I expect 28 and 31 to become an F1). Lost no one of consequence. That’s a great trade week imo

That is one of the dumbest statements of the year. He's more valuable on the trade table because he's better than them.

Not to speak for him, but I think all he means is that if you wanted to rebalance what is a midfield full of similar types, he (Caldwell) would get you far more in return than the other guys, because he’s a fair bit better. If it were out of the players quoted, Caldwell is probably getting you a pick 20 spots higher than any of Parish, Hobbs or Shiel.

We’re on a Trade forum on the internet that’s supposed to be for a bit of shits and giggles. You can disagree with him without calling him dumb, it’s just an opinion/idea.

Not to speak for him, but I think all he means is that if you wanted to rebalance what is a midfield full of similar types, he (Caldwell) would get you far more in return than the other guys, because he’s a fair bit better. If it were out of the players quoted, Caldwell is probably getting you a pick 20 spots higher than any of Parish, Hobbs or Shiel.

We’re on a Trade forum on the internet that’s supposed to be for a bit of shits and giggles. You can disagree with him without calling him dumb, it’s just an opinion/idea.
I call a spade a spade. In this case, calling a dumb idea a dumb idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back