Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuse my ignorance but if we were to trade 28 and 31 into next year, and most of our remaining picks are used for Kako points, then who do we draft this year?
We've got 6 or 7 open spots.

The idea is to trade back in at a later point with those picks after the Kako bid is matched.

That way those picks don’t get absorbed with Kako bid and we can bring in 3-4 players.

Then likely add 2 new rookie list players (Naim+ Nguyen)

Excuse my ignorance but if we were to trade 28 and 31 into next year, and most of our remaining picks are used for Kako points, then who do we draft this year?
It would have to be say 28 and 31 for a F2 and a couple of picks further back this year or something along those lines. We can also hold over a couple of spots for SSP and sign a couple of train on guys like we did with Martin.

This is actually the best article I've read for a long time.

I think this would have to be the first time since 2010 where they've actually decided to build something from the ground up.
Seems like finally the delusion has simmered down. Again, probably a year or two too late, but better than never. I wonder if they plan on letting the captain leave to some success next year. Would get nice picks and we effectively are starting another rebuild it seems.
I think it’s better to not publicise it rather than spruik another rebuild, or a finals push that doesn’t exist. Will Brad actually play the kids though?

It is the second part. First part. Wait 2 years. Second part try and fix over 3 years. Third part player development. Final part. Finals or add another plan :thumbsu:
Not trying to be rude, but that is the worst 8 year plan I’ve ever heard. What sort of organisation does nothing for 2 years to start, then try and fix the shit players. As if you can’t try that from the beginning.
How about get some picks in better than tsatas at 6 who can’t kick?
We have no elite talent, and if we get it outside of the top 10, it’ll be fortune rather than talent identification.
We need to bottom out, get top 3 talent. There is no other way. And, if we trade some assets out it’ll happen sooner rather than later.

If we follow that plan we will have yet another middling list, just one that takes longer to assemble. That’s depressing…

Edit: not sure if I’ve misinterpreted what you wrote as the plan, but damn

Not trying to be rude, but that is the worst 8 year plan I’ve ever heard. What sort of organisation does nothing for 2 years to start, then try and fix the shit players. As if you can’t try that from the beginning.
How about get some picks in better than tsatas at 6 who can’t kick?
We have no elite talent, and if we get it outside of the top 10, it’ll be fortune rather than talent identification.
We need to bottom out, get top 3 talent. There is no other way. And, if we trade some assets out it’ll happen sooner rather than later.

If we follow that plan we will have yet another middling list, just one that takes longer to assemble. That’s depressing…

Edit: not sure if I’ve misinterpreted what you wrote as the plan, but damn
Sorry. should have added a few of these :p:p:p:p:p

I know alot of what vozzo and Rosa are saying are just plain facts and I have been saying as much as anyone our list in poor shape/needs a rehaul but I don't blame any fan for wanting to tear their hair out with frustration reading that and I think we deserve all the derision we get from the rest of the Comp, this is basically the third reset since we turfed woosha in 2020. We aren't a serious football club.

These are my main issues:

- if the plan is too bring in a lot of young talent through draft why does our draft hand look so mediocre? I know the answer will be "no one wanted our players" or "any player with high trade currency was contracted and needs to want to leave". Well I think that's a cop out, I've seen numerous examples over the years of stronger clubs basically pushing out guys, with number of years left, out the door, whether through tough exit meetings or shopping them around visibly. It may rub players the wrong way, but who cares this playing group isn't getting us anywhere anyway. It also brings me to my next issue -

- why the actual F werent dodoro and his regime not frog marched out the door when vozzo/Scott came in? It's so Essington to have him moved around the club still having a negative impact and going rogue handing out contracts like Oprah handing out cars. We've wasted three off seasons of the supposed new regime now with one hand not talking to the other because we made tried to tip toe around off field political issues.

I thought Scott and vozzo were meant to be agents of change, and I still hold out hope that long term this will be case. But I need to see more tangible changes to continue to hold faith.

Our draft hand currently looks so mediocre for 2 reasons.

1. We traded away some picks from this draft last year so started short

2. because any good picks would be absorbed by a Kako bid. The goal is to pay as little as possible for him and we weren’t high enough to draft before the bid so we had to trade out.

Any pick we’d have bought in even if our players had that value would have needed to be traded out or for next year which would be very unexciting for this year.

- Why weren’t Dodo ect gone as soon as Scott showed up?

Because they were deeply engrained politically within the power structures of the club and it took 2 years/bad seasons in a row to get them removed. The years haven’t been wasted things were just likely far worse in terms of culture than was apparent.

As far as a plan to bring in young talent.
Don’t believe the clubs lies. They are following this path because they don’t have any other sensible options available to them. So they have to just take a volume/attrition approach and hope they get lucky with late picks with running power turning into 100+ game best 18 level players.

The F1 is traded back in later in the first round. Including Kako, we’ve now got 2 picks used. We then either take someone late in the draft or use the rookie draft

Realistically who would have wanted Parish if we put him up for trade?
He’s not leaving Vic (new baby, Melb wife)
Hawks/Cats/Pies - had other targets
Blues - targeting speed by moving up and trading out Kennedy
Saints - targeting Macrae, no room for a second person with no pace
Bulldogs - salary cap issues with Bont/Darcy out of contract soon, midfield pretty stacked
Norf-midfield shaping nicely
Melbs-moving up the draft to get elite kids
Tigers already have Hopper performing a similar role and soon to have some elite kids

Maybe Melbs next year if Petracca leaves but Macrae/Kennedy shows that you will probably get a pick in the 35-50 range at best

Realistically who would have wanted Parish if we put him up for trade?
He’s not leaving Vic (new baby, Melb wife)
Hawks/Cats/Pies - had other targets
Blues - targeting speed by moving up and trading out Kennedy
Saints - targeting Macrae, no room for a second person with no pace
Bulldogs - salary cap issues with Bont/Darcy out of contract soon, midfield pretty stacked
Norf-midfield shaping nicely
Melbs-moving up the draft to get elite kids
Tigers already have Hopper performing a similar role and soon to have some elite kids

Maybe Melbs next year if Petracca leaves but Macrae/Kennedy shows that you will probably get a pick in the 35-50 range at best
Fair point. I’d be putting the acid on him to get his value up and move him on, but is it really worth wasting time to do that? It would probably take him from a second to a late FRP.
I’d like to see Hobbs and tsatas play AFL and parish in the VFL at times. Make him earn it and get the hunger back, and find out about the list.

I reckon Gold Coast will be trading on the night or before. They are right on the borderline of points for Lombard. If a real early pick comes they won't have enough.
Nah once the Ashcroft bid comes in they'll be fine, will give them about 300 more points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caleb Daniel for 25 is mind boggling.

Riolo for 6 and whatever makes you think that any semi component club can build quickly because the rest have no idea.

As for us, on face value, looks like we've done nothing but go backwards. If this is supposed to be a decent draft we needed to nail an extra pick alongside Kako.

There is no point going backwards and still having guys like Setter field and Sheil on the list.

And why is Weideman still on the list.
Putting the fact Weed is now gone.

What will you say if Essendon trade back into the first round and get Kako?

I know he’s been mentioned but could anyone share some info on Charlie Clarke? Liked him in his draft year, worth a look after being delisted?

Nah once the Ashcroft bid comes in they'll be fine, will give them about 300 more points.
Brisbane are facing a massive deficit aren’t they?

Brisbane are facing a massive deficit aren’t they?
Eh, not massive as things stand. I have it around 50-100 without any trades.

Even when factoring in a Marshall bid in the 20s?
I had Ashcroft at 2 and Marshall at 17 in my mock and that yielded a 75.6 point deficit as things stand. A pick 1 bid would change it but a pick 3 bid almost guarantees no deficit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

Back