Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this isn't the 2024 list. But it seems all of their VFLW coaches could still be 100% women?

Yeah like I said, the philosophy at HFC seems to be: when the stakes are low enough, it's ok to hire women. That and "it's bad if other clubs hire a male AFLW senior coach, but it's ok when we do it."

4 years into their quest of supposedly developing more female coaches, but apparently none are ready to be an AFLW senior coach yet.

Webster has been coaching since 2015. Probably has better experience and ideas than those women developing at the Hawks at this time. Not like he's new to aflw either. Not really a thing where you go you have done x years so you’re getting the job anyway. Many people miss out at all levels. Who knows how many felt they were ready and even applied from that group? You could go looking for malice anywhere when we aren’t involved in the discussions.

I look forward to seeing how it goes for the Hawks.

Webster has been coaching since 2015. Probably has better experience and ideas than those women developing at the Hawks at this time. Not like he's new to aflw either. Not really a thing where you go you have done x years so you’re getting the job anyway. Many people miss out at all levels. Who knows how many felt they were ready and even applied from that group? You could go looking for malice anywhere when we aren’t involved in the discussions.

I look forward to seeing how it goes for the Hawks.
Yes you can consider all the nuances of the issue.

Or you can just do what a bunch of Hawthorn officials publicly did 2 years ago: blindly criticise other clubs for their decisions, demand those clubs hand back their licences, and hysterically lament how "AFLW is a women's competition run by men".

Yes you can consider all the nuances of the issue.

Or you can just do what a bunch of Hawthorn officials publicly did 2 years ago: blindly criticise other clubs for their decisions, demand those clubs hand back their licences, and hysterically lament how "AFLW is a women's competition run by men".
Where did they demand other clubs hand back their licenses? 'Hysterical' is a classically sexist way to criticise women that I wouldn't expect from an AFLW supporter like you... Is this just an anti-Hawks thing?

Where did they demand other clubs hand back their licenses? 'Hysterical' is a classically sexist way to criticise women that I wouldn't expect from an AFLW supporter like you... Is this just an anti-Hawks thing?
On Twitter.

Considering I've criticised Jeff Kennett on here for hysterically claiming Hawthorn were being discriminated against, it seems like the second-most fitting criticism of their women's football program to date (only behind hypocritical).

This was Bec Goddard in 2020 - note that she was signed as Hawthorns VFLW coach in Dec 2019

The fact Laidley made it to the final two was a joke and, imo a disgrace. If she still identified as a man the women's comp, the players and aflw fans would never have allowed it to get this far.

Last edited:
The article talks about Collingwood considering to align their VFLW program with Williamstown late last year (which they ended up not doing). It then says players weren't happy about this and nearly all of them have since left.

It also points out some of the exited players have accepted paid offers at other clubs. It doesn't mention, however, the discontent among players with regards to not getting a chance at AFLW level via Collingwood.

What punishment are we expecting for Lexi Hamilton and Paige Sheppard for the illicit drugs?
Well, we dont expect anything, as we know what will happen, as it comes under the AFLs first strike recreational drug policy, and not under the performance enhancing drug policy, as its out of competition.

First amongst that lot, is that they aren't to be named.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What punishment are we expecting for Lexi Hamilton and Paige Sheppard for the illicit drugs?
It's a pity they didn't just do it in Lexi's home city, it's not even a criminal offence here, unlike in less sensible parts of the country. Would've just been a small fine like a parking ticket, and likely not recorded in public unlike under the NSW court system.

I didn't know they'd named them. Glad it's out all the same.
They got named because they were caught by the police, not the AFL. If it was AFL internal testing, they wouldn't have been named. They wouldn't have even said that players failed a drug test.

That it was done through the police meant it was always going to be public.

Just a general comment, not directly AFLW related, but indirectly.

Have watched a chunk of the WAFLW grand final, and some of the QLD Vic Country U18 game.

What stands out to me is the improvement in the worst players on the team. What I mean by that is, in years past, they would have very good players in games like these, then a bunch of players that were athletic/fast/hard at it, but not necessarily too skilled or footy savvy, and the last few players were a bit of the pace in terms of footy ability. They tended to have big flaws in their games, fumbly, poor kicks, poor marking etc.

These games still have their stars, like Fish in the WAFLW, and Centra in the U18s, but what is noticeable that all the girls on the park seem to be capable of taking contested overhead marks, working through traffic, finding options, in ways that only some used to be able to not that long ago.

A clear sign to me that the pathways are starting to even out the talent distribution. The best players aren't necessarily better than they were 5 years ago, but I think the bottom half of the list is clearly better than it was.

This, with the national draft coming, opens up options for clubs come draft time.

Anyone have an idea on the value of a list position a club has in a monetary sense?
Ideally a new recruit becomes a ten year player who gives the club a great return on their investment or can potentially be used as a trade etc.
But what is that investment or in a financial sense what is that list spot worth to a Club?
Sport is a business and Clubs must have some sortve expectation on what a list position is worth to them.

There’s a new AFLW discussion show called Talking W on 7mate. It’s on at the obnoxious time of 430pm on Mondays, I only know about it because I just saw a tweet a minute ago about it. It does get repeated on 7plus from 7pm. If they could repeat on 7 at about 10 or 11 pm that would be great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back