Autopsy AFLW 2017 R4 - vs WB - game day #22, 'pies WIN (32 v 25) #91 - WOOHOO WE WON, WE WON, YES WE WON!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Info on Sheahan and a review of the game including comments from Siekman's post game press conference. Have to like this bit and it's such a shame she didn't get a proper run at it on debut.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-02-25/scans-to-confirm-sheahans-knee-injury
Siekman said:
“Kate was so excited when she got the news,” Siekman told the media at his post-match press conference.

“When it was announced she was playing on the bus, she was in tears.

“The whole group of players got around her and nearly jumped on her because they were so excited for her to get the opportunity.”

Good to see she's still positive

Hmm, the word "finish" makes it sound a bit final. :(

Very strange, she's from a tennis background. The move she made that caused her knee to buckle - she must have made that action a bazillion times before on a tennis court.

Very strange, she's from a tennis background. The move she made that caused her knee to buckle - she must have made that action a bazillion times before on a tennis court.

Well be bit of a Miracle IF it's not something Serious and at 35 she be 37 before she could play again

Finish could be taken in the context of the match or the context of her career. As TradeDraft says at her age if it's confirmed as an ACL it will be difficult although not impossible for her to return. I think her reaction last night wasn't so much pain, rather disappointment or a sense of this difficulty.

Your tennis analogy is an interesting point and thinking about the sideways movement it is a very tennis like action. She's had 12 orthopedic surgeries including a clean up of her knee coming into the season, so I wonder what her injury history was.

From what I hear, it's no surprise the Pies have struggled.

Apparently very well known among the other teams that the Pies like to party hard, even before games. It's more surprising among the teams that we actually have won a game.

Hope needs to go. Now that she is playing against athletes she can't get close to them. All those goals last year was against such inferior opposition that she is struggling against women who have good fitness, flexibility etc.

Anyway, I think performance wise our women have been very disappointing. The club has a lot of work to do to turn this around next year.

From what I hear, it's no surprise the Pies have struggled.

Apparently very well known among the other teams that the Pies like to party hard, even before games. It's more surprising among the teams that we actually have won a game.

Hope needs to go. Now that she is playing against athletes she can't get close to them. All those goals last year was against such inferior opposition that she is struggling against women who have good fitness, flexibility etc.

Anyway, I think performance wise our women have been very disappointing. The club has a lot of work to do to turn this around next year.

I can't tell if this is a serious post or a pisstake?

Her old man makes it sound even more final :(, the club is supportive of Sheahan and Pert possibly lends a hint to the club being supportive of her going around again. Well worth reading the whole article from Mike Sheahan as he gives a really great dad/family perspective on how much Kate playing AFL meant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/8a8784684af037ab3d3da8f0bb96d08d
Mike Sheahan said:
Little more than 24 hours later, the tears were flowing again ... tears from shock, pain and confusion as she lay on a rub-down table in the visitors’ rooms at Whitten Oval, her left knee packed in ice, her career over with just one “handball receive’’ to her name from 10 minutes of game time.

Whatever we outsiders might think of Collingwood, I couldn’t be more relieved to know that if my daughter had to fall while representing any club, I was happy it was Collingwood.

It was a sad night, Saturday night, but Kate Sheahan will be able to say she realised her dream; she played at the highest level ... albeit for 10 minutes.

Pert said:
“It will be a tough 12 months, but she will learn from it.”

McGuire said:
“She’s a Collingwood player now; we’ll look after her.”

Her old man makes it sound even more final :(, the club is supportive of Sheahan and Pert possibly lends a hint to the club being supportive of her going around again. Well worth reading the whole article from Mike Sheahan as he gives a really great dad/family perspective on how much Kate playing AFL meant.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/8a8784684af037ab3d3da8f0bb96d08d

The Club Pretty much have to look after them.

She is on the Rookie List so I guess IF she wants to attempt a Comeback she be left on the Rookie List

So sad for Kate Sheahan. Another terrific back story, being a woman who always wanted to play footy, couldn't growing up, and then finally got her chance. But at 35, it will be very difficult for her to get back. Over the next several seasons there will be significant list change and renewal, with the girls in the 14-18 year bracket coming through. Unlike those AFLW players in their late 20s and 30s, the younger group have played footy all the way through. They are the future.

Mike Sheahan's article also interesting in his praise for the club. And I like what Edie had to say. I've been critical of him of late, but the Pres said and did the right thing this time. Sends the right message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Sheahan's article also interesting in his praise for the club. And I like what Edie had to say. I've been critical of him of late, but the Pres said and did the right thing this time. Sends the right message.

That been Rare Recently.

Ed is Good with that Stuff IF he can Think 1st

So sad for Kate Sheahan. Another terrific back story, being a woman who always wanted to play footy, couldn't growing up, and then finally got her chance. But at 35, it will be very difficult for her to get back. Over the next several seasons there will be significant list change and renewal, with the girls in the 14-18 year bracket coming through. Unlike those AFLW players in their late 20s and 30s, the younger group have played footy all the way through. They are the future.

Kate was on SEN this morning and conceded that at her age getting a spot will be difficult. I hope if Sheahan wants to play next year we do the right thing by her.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/02/26/it-felt-like-someone-smashed-me-with-a-cricket-bat-sheahan/
Kate Sheahan said:
“I felt someone had grabbed a cricket bat and smashed the side of my leg…it just snapped, it felt like I had broken my leg.

“At this stage we aren’t entirely sure (what I have done), the doc thinks it’s an ACL, but he’s not prepared to say otherwise until I have the scans today.”

“I would love to go around again, but the reality of the situation is I’m 35, I’m injury prone. Who’s going to take me?

Eva spoke on SEN yesterday and provided some good insights into our win, her and Bonnici shutting Kearney down and the dynamics of the playing group

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/02/26/pies-over-the-moon-with-breakthrough-win/
Eva said:
“We knew, coming into the competition, our group was one of the quieter ones. We have amazing footballers, but in terms of personality, we had a couple of quieter girls, who were just waiting for someone to tap them on the shoulder and say, c’mon, realise your potential.

“Once we had that discussion as a playing group this week, we were really able to identify our individual strengths, and take note of our deficiencies as well. Once we play a team brand of football and once everything clicks, that’s when we play a brand that’s exciting, it’s when we hit the scoreboard and have fun. Steph Chiocci has been great at ascertaining how everyone is feeling, so it was a chat that needed to happen.

“We brought it back to basics this week. If everyone is bringing their strengths, that’s when we play our best footy, and you saw that last night.”

What's the problem? Just stating what I've heard from actual players. Given the way they have performed, it's probably right on the money.

No problem. Just wasn't sure if you were being serious. The tone of the post seemed a bit of a parody, but it's hard to pick tone on the internet.

I must say it sounds like nonsense to me, although not disputing that's what you've heard. I just don't buy it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back