Game Day AFLW R5: Crows vs Blues @ Norwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Van haagen needs a stern talking to. So frustrating. Finds the ball really well but always goes the round the body kick to nobody!! And that kick backwards to a crow girl surrounded by 3 Carlton birds geeeeeeeez!!! Every week she gives me the willies

Perkins is definitely in a slump, (though I thought she played well against Bulldogs,) but I'm not prepared to call her permanently finished in a season that is shorter than Rory Sloane's form slump last year.

I think a big component of her poor form is that one of her best qualities was forward pressure, and that is less of a thing with the changed out-of-bounds rule.

The other thing I would like to see more of is for the girls to do more handballs. Sometimes they'd mark the ball, and there is another player a few metres up ahead. They could and should easily do a quick handpass to the free player who could run into space, but instead, I see it far too often they'd walk back on the mark and then take their time in kicking the ball. It's a double lose situation:
1. Quick handpass up forward creates a quicker passage of play and opposition has less time to structure up their defense.
2. By going back on our marks, opposition has time to create more defensive congestion, and with most our players who are average kicks anyway, it then becomes a 50-50 contest after the kick!

Isn't there only a top 2? So we need to pass 3 teams. Can't see that happening.
we need 2nd - 4th to lose once

Brisbane play 8th and 4th
Melbourne play 7th and 1st
Gws play 1st and 2nd

Or we’d need 1st to lose twice
Bulldogs play 8th, 3rd and 4th

If we win out, 3rd is worst case scenario imo

Bulldogs def Melbourne
Bulldogs def gws
Gws def Brisbane

All very plausible
And would result with us in the gf.

But at the end of the day. Well probably see a bulldogs- Brisbane gf

Almost certainly bulldogs hosting no matter what. However, if they implode and finish below Brisbane. I think we could jump them and get another shot at Brisbane up there.

Glad I'm not the only one who notices this.

Ahh man makes me want to flip my lid Every time. Sometimes she will take a Mark, walk back the kick it around her body! I saw Phillips having a word to her at 3qtr time, hopefully reminding her How to kick the footy straight.

The other thing I would like to see more of is for the girls to do more handballs. Sometimes they'd mark the ball, and there is another player a few metres up ahead. They could and should easily do a quick handpass to the free player who could run into space, but instead, I see it far too often they'd walk back on the mark and then take their time in kicking the ball. It's a double lose situation:
1. Quick handpass up forward creates a quicker passage of play and opposition has less time to structure up their defense.
2. By going back on our marks, opposition has time to create more defensive congestion, and with most our players who are average kicks anyway, it then becomes a 50-50 contest after the kick!
I reckon the lack of handball is due to confidence in skills.

We still have girls catching handballs like chest marks which nullifys the point of the handball to a degree.

Went to the game last night, my first time watching the girls live. Firstly, I really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere at the game, the crowd were really into the game and passionately cheered on the girls.

My second observation is the women's game is much better to watch in person than on TV. On tv the game can look pretty congested at times, but at the ground you can see the teams are making a big effort to maintain some structure and work into space.

Umpires need a lot of work. At time they just didn't call stoppages quickly enough, which doesn't help congestion.

Went to the game last night, my first time watching the girls live. Firstly, I really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere at the game, the crowd were really into the game and passionately cheered on the girls.

My second observation is the women's game is much better to watch in person than on TV. On tv the game can look pretty congested at times, but at the ground you can see the teams are making a big effort to maintain some structure and work into space.

Umpires need a lot of work. At time they just didn't call stoppages quickly enough, which doesn't help congestion.

You actually went to one of the better umpired games last night! They still missed quite a bit with Hocking (no 10 for Carlton) a little fond of just slightly dropping her knees to get a free. The number 5 umpire was the best at calling for a ball up quickly. That was the one female umpire who was making better decisions while the male umpires were indecisive ;)

It's definitely way better at the games - haven't actually seen the Crows women play live yet (not even last season) but been to a few of the Whitten Oval and Princes Park games and the atmospheres are carnival like - the crowd appreciate the efforts and I enjoy seeing the crowd full of people who dont look like they normally go to footy matches

On Perkins. Watching the replay (up to half time) and Perkins has been OK. Not dominant but neither has she gone missing. Sarah is in the area and dishing out a handball or kick.

I think there are 2 things to think about. Because she was so dominant last year we expect her to continue. Yet it's the 2nd that is at the heart of her issues imo. No confidence, either marking or positioning.

I think Sarah will be ok

It's definitely way better at the games - haven't actually seen the Crows women play live yet (not even last season) but been to a few of the Whitten Oval and Princes Park games and the atmospheres are carnival like - the crowd appreciate the efforts and I enjoy seeing the crowd full of people who dont look like they normally go to footy matches
The general standard of the AFLW competition has increased 30 % in year 2 .......skills are better, game style / strategy is better ....more goals ....the improvement in marking skills amazing

How good will year 3 be !!!

The general standard of the AFLW competition has increased 30 % in year 2 .......skills are better, game style / strategy is better ....more goals ....the improvement in marking skills amazing

How good will year 3 be !!!
Caught the end of the womens footy show on 9 and they talked about the paths. There are a group of girls playing that never stopped , where most of the current players had to stop and this is seen in the skills . It gets better each year as the oldies finish up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally we're seeing the forwards clicking and growing in confidence. McCormick, Wallace and Jones looking like a nice trio to aim for.
Gotta say I was critical of Jenna but last few games she seems to have come good. Looks like more of the lynch type forward and it's working well. I can't remember if it was Nikki or Jenny I questioned their call I her, well I concede. If Jenna continues like this she can become a very handy player.

Gotta say I was critical of Jenna but last few games she seems to have come good. Looks like more of the lynch type forward and it's working well. I can't remember if it was Nikki or Jenny I questioned their call I her, well I concede. If Jenna continues like this she can become a very handy player.
It was Nikki. He's highlighted the fact that she's one of the most defensive players we have in the forward line. I'm seeing the improvement in her marking also. Seen her do so many full speed running chest marks, it's almost like her signature move now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back