Autopsy AFLW Round 3, 2022 (S7): St.Kilda v Melbourne

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Demons

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping that we'd bring a little physicality and mongrel to make it a scrap. But we can't compete with the bodies, toughness and class or the Demons, and we went into our shells early. They're too good.
Outmuscled.
Seen the last 2 weeks we have some talent, but that talent is struggling against those hardened Melbourne players.

Dees have played on from the mark a couple of times but the umps too slow to call it. At one point Xenos tackled them and the ump didn't know what to do, just let the Dee take her kick.

would we say this is their defence shutting down our forward structure or their midfield beating us so badly we can't score at all
Beating us everywhere.
Stronger, faster, cleaner disposal.

Actually surviving well since quarter time.

Edit: bit of stage fright first quarter like freo last night.

Dee's showing what playing finals football does as they are harder at the ball and hate to use a Richo they are stronger at the contest.

We are matching their intensity in 2nd and third qtrs....different game....but the horse has bolted.

Lessons will be learnt good back to earth moment for the team use this game on which to form a base level and build from here

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dee's showing what playing finals football goes harder at the ball and hate to use a Richo they are stronger at the contest.

We are matching their intensity in 2nd and third qtrs....different game....but the horse has bolted.

Lessons will be learnt good back to earth moment for the team us this game on which to form a base level and build from here

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
4th quarter I doubt we have the capability to kick 5 to nothing but I hope we can somewhat even it up and finish "honourably"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did well the last 3 quarters.
Special comments called it, no forward pressure, as obviously we heard from the first huddle they called on the half forwards to move up the ground and assist the midfield which was just soundly beaten in the first quarter.

Talent was enough last week but outsized outmuscled today by one of the leagues best.

Clearly we were strong armed by a superior side further along the development trail, but to keep them goalless for 3Qs was HUGE especially after that disaster start. Up until we kicked our Q3 goal, time in defensive half was 97% - immense effort to absorb that pressure. And to go again in Q4, super impressive.

The improvements this season are clear :thumbsu:

I'll take that result after quarter time. I think we'd ultimately say that we cocked up the first quarter but are not that far off one of the best teams in the comp. Hopefully they learn form our loose and uncompetitive first quarter but also learn from our very competitive last three quarters as well.

Starting to see a splitting of divisions within the league.

Brisbane
Melbourne
North
Adelaide
----
Collingwood* (H) (down with the pack without Davey & Bonnicci)
Richmond
Bulldogs* (H)
Essendon
Geelong* (A)
GWS
Carlton* (H)
Fremantle
--------
Hawthorn
Port* (H)
West Coast
GCS* (A)
Sydney

*still to play

I would say 3-3 is the minimum pass mark.
We are very capable of 4-2, 2-4 would be disappointing.
Main thing is we should feel confident entering every game to come - we're not without a chance against all these fixtures.

Last edited:

Well done to Dal and the girls to fight back so well after quarter time. Sure they stuffed up the first quarter but what a great fight back. Kept them goalless after then.

Some great coaching to steady the ship and great effort after quarter time, you could clearly notice the difference in intensity. Will give them confidence.

This was prior to the Melbourne game, but for anyone who still would like to listen;

Back