Women's Footy AFLW Season 2023 GWS - Congrats Zarlie Goldsworthy: Rising Star winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

* that. Late coming cheatin entitled ingrates.
True indeed! But still it’s a momentous historical moment for them, and happy for their fans who were there to witness it. Same as when our men beat Gold Coast at Manuka in 2012 for our first ever win as a club

I was there and I don't even know what happened. We just turned into a sack of potatoes. Obviously totally bodied in the ruck. And Molloy's ability to find space and snap goals is beyond anyone we have. The Swans' defence also looked good, better than our efforts to clear which were often desperate and unsuccessful.

Was nice seeing a healthy Swans crowd at a beautiful oval enjoying their first win, but jeez having quite a good lead (for AFLW) and losing it like that... was painful.

I was there and I don't even know what happened. We just turned into a sack of potatoes. Obviously totally bodied in the ruck. And Molloy's ability to find space and snap goals is beyond anyone we have. The Swans' defence also looked good, better than our efforts to clear which were often desperate and unsuccessful.

Was nice seeing a healthy Swans crowd at a beautiful oval enjoying their first win, but jeez having quite a good lead (for AFLW) and losing it like that... was painful.
We were there too and I'm still somewhat surprised we lost that with the lead we had.

Crowd was fantastic though. North Sydney Oval is a great spot for Aussie Rules.

We were there too and I'm still somewhat surprised we lost that with the lead we had.

Crowd was fantastic though. North Sydney Oval is a great spot for Aussie Rules.

Agree to all of the above.

Four of us went and was an enjoyable afternoon.

I'm happy to report that I have expanded my AFL/Giants squad by 1 with a newbie experiencing their first AFL game today and loved it. Newbie actually didn't want to go at all and thought it would be too rough similar to NRL/Rugby and weren't interested at all but somehow managed to get them to attend.. perhaps AFLW was the best game to introduce them to AFL.

Newbie can't wait to attend the next game and I couldn't be happier to bring more people into the AFL fold. 😃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S8 Rnd 2
Congratulations to Nicola Barr for reaching the milestone of 50 games of AFL for GWS.

Match Details

GIANTS v Demons
Sunday, September 10 at 5:10pm
Manuka Oval | Ngunnawal Country

Team:

FB: Jodie Hicks, Pepa Randall
HB: Chloe Dalton, Grace Hill, Tarni Evans
C: Nicola Barr, Alyce Parkerr, Alicia Eva
HF: Zarlie Goldsworthy, Haneen Zreika, Jessica Doyle
FF: Georgia Garnett, Brodee Mowbray
RR: Fleur Davies, Annalyse Lister, Ally Dallaway

Interchange: Cambridge McCormick, Katherine Smith, Madison Brazendale, Rebecca Beeson, Tegan Germech

Emergencies: Caitlin Miller, Jasmine Grierson, Tess Cattle

Unfortunately, a match to forget from the Giants. Started well, but quickly fell behind, and were completely overrun in the second half.

GIANTS 2.1 2.1 3.3 3.4 (22)
MELBOURNE 4.1 7.5 8.7 15.9 (99)

GOALS
GIANTS:
Garnett, Doyle, Eva
Melbourne: Hore 5, Bannan 3, Purcell 2, Lampard 2, Zanker, Mackin, Mithen

BEST
GIANTS:
Barr, Eva, Evans, Parker, Beeson
Melbourne: Hore, Lampard, Hanks, Pearce, Purcell

INJURIES
GIANTS:
Nil
Melbourne: Nil

LATE CHANGES
GIANTS:
Annalyse Lister (calf) replaced in selected side by Caitlin Miller
Melbourne: Nil

The Dees reaffirmed their status as the team to beat yet again this season, proving too classy for the GIANTS at Manuka Oval, recording a 15.9 (99) to 3.4 (22) victory.

Melbourne captain Kate Hore put together one of the best first quarters in recent memory, booting three goals and racking up 13 disposals and five marks. The GIANTS defence had no answers for the Dees skipper, who ran rampant all evening and became just the second Demon after former skipper Daisy Pearce to kick five goals in a game.

The GIANTS got off to the perfect start with Georgia Garnett steaming into the open goal after the GIANTS won the centre clearance in textbook fashion, but two Hore goals within a minute gave Melbourne the lead and they never looked back. The Dees booted three unanswered goals in the second term, dominating the contested possession count (135-109) and winning the clearance battle (35-22).

The GIANTS got the first goal of the second half through Alicia Eva but they were unable to convert their solid play into scoreboard reward. Melbourne flexed their muscle in the final quarter, booting seven unanswered goals to run over the top of the GIANTS.

Nicola Barr - in her 50th game - had a team-high 24 touches while Rebecca Beeson, Alyce Parker and Tarni Evans continued their strong starts to the season.

Congratulations to young gun Zarlie Goldsworthy on earning a Rising Star nomination this week.

ZG RS.png

Emerging GIANT Zarlie Goldsworthy has received a 2023 AFLW Rising Star nomination after a standout performance against the Demons in Canberra on Sunday night.

Playing in just her 10th AFLW game, Goldsworthy finished with 18 disposals (nine contested), four marks, six tackles, three inside-50s and three clearances to be named one of the GIANTS’ best in the loss to the Demons. Goldsworthy is averaging 14 disposals, five clearances and four tackles across the first two rounds of the season to quickly establish herself as one of the competition’s most promising young stars.

THERE is something Isabel Huntington has forgotten. "I can't remember my pre-match routine," she tells AFL.com.au. "I should have written it down. Actually, I don't know whether it worked anyway."

She'll need to remember it pretty quickly, though. Because, after 616 long and gruelling days filled with emotions ranging from doubt, to excitement, to acceptance, and just about everything in between, Huntington will be back playing in the AFLW this weekend.

more in the story

S8 Rnd 3

Saturday, September 16

Greater Western Sydney v Richmond at Blacktown ISP, 1.05pm AEST

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
E.Pease, I.Huntington, A.Lister
Out: C.Miller (omitted), C.McCormick (omitted), M.Brazendale (ankle)

RICHMOND

In:
C.Wicksteed, M.Eastman
Out: P.Kelly (omitted), S.Reid (omitted)

Debut: Charlie Wicksteed

Two GIANTS will make their long-awaited return to the game this weekend, with Isabel Huntington and Emily Pease set to return following respective ACL injuries.

Pease – a season seven Rising Star Nominee – missed the final three rounds of last season with an ACL injury which has seen her sidelined for the past 340 days. The former Belconnen Magpie made her AFLW debut in round two of season six, earning the club’s Rising Star award at the end of her nine-game season. Impressing with her endurance, ability to defend and willingness to take on the opposition, the 21-year-old will be a handy addition to the GIANTS’ midfield this weekend.

Meanwhile, former number one draft pick Isabel Huntington is set to return from her third ACL injury. Saturday’s game against the Tigers will mark the 23-year-old's first AFLW game in 616 days and her first game in the orange and charcoal. The key forward joined the GIANTS ahead of last season, following five seasons and 20 games with the Western Bulldogs.

GIANTS coach Cam Bernasconi said he was excited by this week’s inclusions. “It’s fantastic to welcome back Peasey [Emily Pease] and Izzy,” he said. Veteran Annalyse Lister also returns to the side after being a last-minute withdrawal for last week’s clash with the Demons with calf soreness. Cambridge McCormick, Caitlin Miller (omitted) and Madison Brazendale (ankle) make way for the incoming trio. Brazendale will be sidelined for an extended period of time, with scans this week confirming she will require surgery for the ankle injury sustained in last week’s loss to the Demons.

Match Details

GIANTS v Tigers
Sunday, September 16 at 1:05pm
Blacktown International Sportspark | Darug Country

Team:

FB: Jodie Hicks, Pepa Randall
HB: Chloe Dalton, Grace Hill, Tarni Evans
C: Emily Pease, Alyce Parker, Alicia Eva
HF: Zarlie Goldsworthy, Haneen Zreika, Isabel Huntington
FF: Georgia Garnett, Brodee Mowbray
RR: Fleur Davies, Annalyse Lister, Nicola Barr

Interchange: Katherine Smith, Teagan Germech, Ally Dallaway, Jessica Doyle, Rebecca Beeson

Emergencies: Cambridge McCormick, Jasmine Grierson, Caitlin Miller

was just coming on to comment.

ground announcement - due to on field issues, game will now start at 1.15

auskick kids forming the guard of honour moved into the shade, moved back out, moved back in.

sitting here thinking WTF is going on

check twitter - there's a f#&%ing snake on the field.

I have now officially seen everything.🤣🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Season 2023 GWS - Congrats Zarlie Goldsworthy: Rising Star winner!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back