After Round 8: How Do The Top 9 Teams Stack Up?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I sound biased but had Lewis, Hogan (both out) and Gawn (who went off 2nd qtr) all been available, I reckon we would have beaten Geelong. Up by 15pts with less than 2 minutes in the 3rd but they overran us in the last.

Losing Spencer in the 2nd quarter against Richmond, already without Gawn and no ruckman for the second half, and had to play Watts in the ruck for the rest of the game and he was clearly cooked early in the 4th, after we were up by 20 at 3qtr, led to Richmond over running us in the 4th qtr.

Freo - No Hogan, Lewis, Gawn, lost by 3 pts

Hawthorn- McEvoy killed us, centre clearances was all Hawthorn's way. Obviously no ruckman didn't help, lost by 3 pts but Hawks played well, they deserved it.

I know I sound like a biased campaigner but I do think we are travelling better than our ladder position suggests.

I know I sound biased but had Lewis, Hogan (both out) and Gawn (who went off 2nd qtr) all been available, I reckon we would have beaten Geelong. Up by 15pts with less than 2 minutes in the 3rd but they overran us in the last.

Losing Spencer in the 2nd quarter against Richmond, already without Gawn and no ruckman for the second half, and had to play Watts in the ruck for the rest of the game and he was clearly cooked early in the 4th, after we were up by 20 at 3qtr, led to Richmond over running us in the 4th qtr.

Freo - No Hogan, Lewis, Gawn, lost by 3 pts

Hawthorn- McEvoy killed us, centre clearances was all Hawthorn's way. Obviously no ruckman didn't help, lost by 3 pts but Hawks played well, they deserved it.

I know I sound like a biased campaigner but I do think we are travelling better than our ladder position suggests.

Our biggest problem is we are capable of playing top 8 footy, hell could even argue we can play top 4 footy within games. 4th most quarters won suggests that
However we are also capable of bringing bottom 4 footy and effort which is why we sit in 10th. I think we are better than that, but Id like to see a supporter who doesnt think their side is capable of producing more

Are you actually denying we'd be 8-0 or 7-1 if not for us again having the most injuries in the top 8? The fact that our biggest loss has been 16 points is a testament to our depth, despite losing 3 players last season who are all arguably best 22 at their new clubs.

The "So Brave" meme died when we won 4 finals in a row due to our unmatched bravery.
Again, injuries, everyone has them. Get over it. If Gawn wasn't injured we would be 6-2.

You could also have dropped games to North, and Richmond. Don't talk about players you don't have. And who are your injured players?

Check the interstate record of your precious Bullies this year, then get back to us with who the real flat trackers are in 2017.

Probably due to injuries though, right? So brave.

I love that some courageous souls here continue with the 'so brave' stuff. It worked so well for you all last season :p

Again, injuries, everyone has them. Get over it. If Gawn wasn't injured we would be 6-2.

You could also have dropped games to North, and Richmond. Don't talk about players you don't have. And who are your injured players?
If their injury list is as bad as claimed surely it's inhuman to continue in the competition and risk their players further.

I love that some courageous souls here continue with the 'so brave' stuff. It worked so well for you all last season :p

Lol it's funny isn't it

We can't mention the players we have out but then some trawl out "if we had Gawn"

Lol I really don't think they have a clue what they talk about

The top 9 is seriously bizarre, on form I'd probably rank them like this - but I don't have any real confidence in any team at the moment.

1. GWS
2. West Coast
3. St Kilda
4. Port Adelaide
5. Adelaide
6. Fremantle
7. Western Bulldogs
8. Richmond
9. Geelong

And even ranking them like that doesn't convince me that any team there has an especially stronger claim on the premiership than another.

You're overrating St Kilda; the only quality team they've beaten is GWS. Of the rest listed, they've pushed West Coast and Geelong (should've won the former), whilst being pushed by lower sides like Carlton. The only saving grace is that every other team seems to be doing the same.

You're overrating St Kilda; the only quality team they've beaten is GWS. Of the rest listed, they've pushed West Coast and Geelong (should've won the former), whilst being pushed by lower sides like Carlton. The only saving grace is that every other team seems to be doing the same.

It's a form ladder. You guys are playing well.

It's a form ladder. You guys are playing well.

After our performance against St Kilda, I'll happily accept that comment as flattering. The real barometer will combine the next two weeks; seeing if we choke against Sydney and/or can match the Bulldogs.

To many variables to try and describe the comp with such a small set of number.
For example: Fremantle were a completely different team weeks 1 & 2 yet those wins to Geelong and Port are worth the same as West Coast's win?
Also after only 8 rounds to divide the ladder in 2 isn't nearly fair as the fixtures haven't had enough time to equalise. I'd have Melbourne above a few of the current top 9 and if by the end of the season Essendon was in the top half I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not ready to jump off the Crows. There is too much quality at either end of the ground though a few in their midfield need to be read the riot act. Still a top four side for mine.

1. GWS

2. Port Adelaide
3. Western Bulldogs

4. Adelaide
5. West Coast

6. St Kilda

7. Fremantle
8. Geelong

9. Richmond

I see Melbourne and Sydney taking the place of Fremantle and Geelong by season's end.

Bizarre season so far, I think Cats are by far the worst team in the 8 and will be lucky to win a game in the next 4 rounds so probably fall out the 8 and miss finals. Would like to see Saints and Melb play finals, both are good teams to watch. West Coast to finish top 4 and make the GF only to be belted off the park by god only knows who.

Good OP
It's really anyone's season
And honestly - whilst I really miss our flat-track 50+ point home win days , there's nothing flat-track about us anymore . As pointed out above , our overall interstate record is good and our non-MCG record is very good relative to other teams . Our record against other top 8 teams also compares favourably to other teams.

Yes , we play poorly at the MCG (especially against Hawthorn and Collingwood) , but since those teams are unlikely to make the finals it might not even matter, especially whilst the other 3 teams in the top 4 are also non-Vic teams.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good OP
It's really anyone's season
And honestly - whilst I really miss our flat-track 50+ point home win days , there's nothing flat-track about us anymore . As pointed out above , our overall interstate record is good and our non-MCG record is very good relative to other teams . Our record against other top 8 teams also compares favourably to to other teams.

Yes , we play poorly at the MCG (especially against Hawthorn and Collingwood) , but since those teams are unlikely to make the finals it might not even matter, especially whilst the other 3 teams in the top 4 are also non-Vic teams.
It's hard enough to get there surely. Plenty of time to work out hoodoos and suchlike then. Most clubs will fall before then.

It's hard enough to get there surely. Plenty of time to work out hoodoos and suchlike then. Most clubs will fall before then.
Do you mean that it's hard enough to get to the GF (agreed , but I wasn't referring to that ) or to make the finals in the first place (not so much ) ?
Thankfully our records at Adelaide Oval and Spotless Stadium (where we're more likely to play) are even better than our home record (our record at Skilled is atrocious/even worse than our MCG record though!)

Do you mean that it's hard enough to get to the GF (agreed , but I wasn't referring to that ) or to make the finals in the first place (not so much ) ?
Thankfully our records at Adelaide Oval and Spotless Stadium (where we're more likely to play) are even better than our home record (our record at Skilled is atrocious/even worse than our MCG record though!)
I was referring to the GF. My thoughts were purely about the MCG. I'm well aware.of your games at AO last year and watched every painful minute at Spotless. I cant see you missing finals, we will play them.as well. I dont where against who or how many though. Just seemed to me a bit early.to worry about the MCG.
If I misread your post I apologise.

I was referring to the GF. My thoughts were purely about the MCG. I'm well aware.of your games at AO last year and watched every painful minute at Spotless. I cant see you missing finals, we will play them.as well. I dont where against who or how many though. Just seemed to me a bit early.to worry about the MCG..
In which case , I agree with your post as most of the top sides this year are non-Vic sides . It would be a different story if Hawthorn/Collingwood (especially) were expected to make the finals . Apart from Richmond , the Vic sides in the 8 (Bulldogs/Geelong) may end up playing my team at other grounds eg Etihad/Skilled respectively anyway .

Geelong has had the easiest draw so far ( No games at home)with only 2 of their 8 matches vs top 9 teams. Adelaide and St Kilda have also had it a bit easier, with 3 of their 8 against Top 9. On the other hand, Fremantle and West Coast have had it a little harder than average, ( Dockers play their 6th home game this week, Eagles have played four) playing 5 of their 9 matches so far against Top 9 teams.

I'm always bemused by this Geelong have had it easy business, they have played NO home games so far this season compared to 9 between Eagles and Dockers!
Wait a minute. You guys haven't had a game at Skilled/Geelong yet this season?

It could have something to do with injuries. West Coast at full strength besides Natinui last week and dogs missing Wallis, Morris, Murphy, Dickson, Cloke, Stringer, Roughead from best 22. Come up with a decent post mate.
We were missing Nic nat, Lycett, Cripps, Nelson, from our 22, with those 2 ruckmen representing the biggest advantage we have as team. Also arguable that Watson or Rioli would be in the 22 had they not been injured. Not even sure if cloke would have been in your 22 had he not been injured with Redpath healthy, and roughead, dickson and stringer in the team.

Definitely not as much difference in the amount of quality in the players missing from either teams 22, as you suggest.

I'm not ready to jump off the Crows. There is too much quality at either end of the ground though a few in their midfield need to be read the riot act. Still a top four side for mine.

1. GWS

2. Port Adelaide
3. Western Bulldogs

4. Adelaide
5. West Coast

6. St Kilda

7. Fremantle
8. Geelong

9. Richmond

I see Melbourne and Sydney taking the place of Fremantle and Geelong by season's end.
Port nowhere near a top 2 side, will consider themselves lucky to make top 4. Couldn't beat us with a completely healthy list at home, while we were missing 5-6 from our best 22, and supposedly can't travel either.

Port nowhere near a top 2 side, will consider themselves lucky to make top 4. Couldn't beat us with a completely healthy list at home, while we were missing 5-6 from our best 22, and supposedly can't travel either.

Port have been out coached in the exact same way against West Coast in the past 3 years at AO with virtually the exact same result. Hinckley doesn't seem to learn.

I don't think everything hinges on one result. They are leading the league in a lot of key indicators and there are signs they are close to recapturing their best form which makes them a top four side. But with the wild unpredictability of the season who knows.

First game at home this coming Friday...we only get 7 for the year, we should have a minimum 9, preferably 11 each year, but the AFL have other ideas.
Wasn't it due to finishing off the redevelopment this year though??

No one is near being a top 2 side yet.

GWS and the Dogs are vulnerable with a few more injuries potentially ruining their seasons, Crows never seem to stand up in finals and the last two weeks have showed that their midfield is useless without Sloane, we shit the bed whenever we play a top 4-6 side and your mob can't win at the MCG, which is only the ground you play on to win a flag. I still back Geelong to be in this conversation only because their top talent can get them through a lot of games.

Whoever wins the flag this year will lay claim to winning probably the most open race in history.

Remove this Banner Ad

After Round 8: How Do The Top 9 Teams Stack Up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back