Debutant
Jul 5, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
bulldogs
Does anyone know the final AGSV ladder. What we know so far is:

1)Assumption - 5th priemership in a row, great effort to win the final, after being beaten by pegs twice during the season. Showed in the final what they can really do when they wax as a team.

2) PEGS - The best team throughout the whole season, but got beat in the final, pretty stiff in my opinion, but just looked tired and like they had

3) Ivanhoe - Great effort from Ivanhoe to finish third, there equal best result in 50 years. For a team that finished last in 04, was an outstanding turn around. With close wins against Trinity (1 point), Peninsula (7 points) Marcilen (3 points), the team showed plenty of heart all year, and a just result in finishing third.

4) Marcillen - Slipped from 2nd last year to 4th this year, had a big chance to get up over ivanhoe in the final, but couldnt finish it off. had a productive year, blooding some good young players for next year, which will be led by Anderson, and had some good year 12 players leaving, such as Coughlan, Carlyle, Montagna, Winstanley ect.

5)Trinity or peninsula

6) Trinity or peninsula

7) Camberwell or Mentone

8) Camberwell or Mentone

League Best and Fairest
Iezze (trinity), Colbert (Ivanhoe), Graham (Assumption)

fair assesment there, i belive trinity and mentone won, however not 100%. Looks like ivanhoe had a lot a extremely close matches, how did they go against the might of assumption, and PEGS? huge effort by them, for a team no1 gave a chance at the start of the season. id have to say trinity would have to be dissapointed with their year, that loss to mentone in the end probably cost them a top 4 position. Pennisula also had a dissapointing season, with the likes of jones and emu in their team.

in reference to the BNF carey form camberwell was great all year form what ive heard.

BNF is a close call, i know jones (peninsula) is a quality player but not sure how he went through the agsv season but was all australian. M.Barlow (assumption) is the pinnicle of consistency averaging 29 touches for the season with 34 in the final. Tanner(PEGS) probably along with silver and hall was the most influencial forward and would have to be a chance. not sure about carey (camberwell) tough to get recognition in a team that had a disappointing season.

Willo06 said:
Looks like ivanhoe had a lot a extremely close matches, how did they go against the might of assumption, and PEGS? huge effort by them, for a team no1 gave a chance at the start of the season.

Ivanhoe lost to PEGS by 12 points...can't remember how much they went down to Assumption but it was a totally even match bar a 5-10 minute burst from ACK

Disco said:
BNF is a close call, i know jones (peninsula) is a quality player but not sure how he went through the agsv season but was all australian. M.Barlow (assumption) is the pinnicle of consistency averaging 29 touches for the season with 34 in the final. Tanner(PEGS) probably along with silver and hall was the most influencial forward and would have to be a chance. not sure about carey (camberwell) tough to get recognition in a team that had a disappointing season.

Jones only played 2 or 3 games for the year i think, and Barlow had a great season and was rewarded with AGSV selection, and from what ive heard he is faviorite to take out Assumptions best and fairest.

Also Ivanhoe went down to Assumption by 14 points, after a score line of 13 to 4 in the first half, due to both backlines dominating. I went along to that game n it was a great clash, Assumption proved to good on the day, with Graham, Coff, and Barlow getting alot of it. Assumptions 2 key forwards were shut down by ivanhoes backman, with Riddle (who would also be up there in the league best and fairest) doing a great job on Silver, and number 9 from ivanhoe, with the long sleeves, keeping Hally to 1 goal. does any1 know who he is, i dont think he played last year?

From what i saw of Carey in last years season he was a gun, and made AGSV, didnt see much of him this year but saw he made the side again. Very versitile, can play wing, onball, forward, would only be about 180 but can take a mark, and has great pace. Another one that springs to mind for the Best and Fairest would be Cerentonio from PEGs...

can confirm that both Trinity and Mentone won their games, both fairly convincingly.
Interesting that Ivanhoe had such a great year after pretty ordinary 2004, but how will they go next year with core group of players leaving this year? Any ideas if they will be a powerhouse again? and predictions for next years ladder?

i remember ivanhoe being belted by every side through the years, and finished last last year! how such a big turn around? does any1 know of them recruiting new players? next year i believe marcellin (andreson) and trinity (mckay) should be strong as they both had small young sides this year, and were competitive. i dont know to much about the regular powerhouses PEGS and assumption but you can assume they will be strong also. ivanhoe i also belive should have a good season, with several yr 11s gaining AGS selection in the side against ballarat, along with riddle against the APS

Willo06 said:
i remember ivanhoe being belted by every side through the years, and finished last last year! how such a big turn around? does any1 know of them recruiting new players? next year i believe marcellin (andreson) and trinity (mckay) should be strong as they both had small young sides this year, and were competitive. i dont know to much about the regular powerhouses PEGS and assumption but you can assume they will be strong also. ivanhoe i also belive should have a good season, with several yr 11s gaining AGS selection in the side against ballarat, along with riddle against the APS

I have a few mates from Ivanhoes side of 04, which came last, and they where telling me a few things about this years side compared to last years.
I don't think Ivanhoe had any new recruits, They just played alot of year 11's and 10's last year, and in doing so matured these kids. They had a solid pre-season this year, and so where able to run all there games out, and come from behind. They had a strong leadership group, led by Captain Gianfagna (AGSV), and Vice Captains - Colbert (AGSV) Vella (AGSV) Gieschen, and Pantano. I believe last year some of the yr 12's didnt take it as serious, but this year was a much more dedicated group. Also the likes of Josh Riddle helped, who is just a gun full stop.
Also last year ivanhoe where missing Gianfagna the whole season, Riddle only played half the games, and Mckinley was forced to play midfield due to the lack of depth in the ivanhoe side.

Nathan Brown #7 said:
I have a few mates from Ivanhoes side of 04, which came last, and they where telling me a few things about this years side compared to last years.
I don't think Ivanhoe had any new recruits, They just played alot of year 11's and 10's last year, and in doing so matured these kids. They had a solid pre-season this year, and so where able to run all there games out, and come from behind. They had a strong leadership group, led by Captain Gianfagna (AGSV), and Vice Captains - Colbert (AGSV) Vella (AGSV) Gieschen, and Pantano. I believe last year some of the yr 12's didnt take it as serious, but this year was a much more dedicated group. Also the likes of Josh Riddle helped, who is just a gun full stop.
Also last year ivanhoe where missing Gianfagna the whole season, Riddle only played half the games, and Mckinley was forced to play midfield due to the lack of depth in the ivanhoe side.

This any relation of the Gieschen currently controlling the umpires...and I think I heard about a Nick Gieschen playing for Port Melbourne last year. Know anything about it?

Nathan Brown #7 said:
Jones only played 2 or 3 games for the year i think, and Barlow had a great season and was rewarded with AGSV selection, and from what ive heard he is faviorite to take out Assumptions best and fairest.

Also Ivanhoe went down to Assumption by 14 points, after a score line of 13 to 4 in the first half, due to both backlines dominating. I went along to that game n it was a great clash, Assumption proved to good on the day, with Graham, Coff, and Barlow getting alot of it. Assumptions 2 key forwards were shut down by ivanhoes backman, with Riddle (who would also be up there in the league best and fairest) doing a great job on Silver, and number 9 from ivanhoe, with the long sleeves, keeping Hally to 1 goal. does any1 know who he is, i dont think he played last year?

From what i saw of Carey in last years season he was a gun, and made AGSV, didnt see much of him this year but saw he made the side again. Very versitile, can play wing, onball, forward, would only be about 180 but can take a mark, and has great pace. Another one that springs to mind for the Best and Fairest would be Cerentonio from PEGs...
Cerentonio was ok but didnt have b/f form just a good contributor in a good side, think he along with all the pegs boys will be deeply dissapointed with their season, but have some bright prospects in the likes of joyce and maric. Probably not what u would call a smokey but M.Webb (ACK) would be a big chance, consistent and courageous, recently made agsv captain with Cerentonio as his deputy.

Disco said:
Cerentonio was ok but didnt have b/f form just a good contributor in a good side, think he along with all the pegs boys will be deeply dissapointed with their season, but have some bright prospects in the likes of joyce and maric. Probably not what u would call a smokey but M.Webb (ACK) would be a big chance, consistent and courageous, recently made agsv captain with Cerentonio as his deputy.
get your hand off it, who is this bloke?

Who won the AGSV vs APS game?

Did a bloke called Gianfagna play? he was good for the Preston Knights in the finals and I heard he went to Ivanhoe. I remember seeing him break a record for the 100m in athletics so he could be a draft smokey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AGSV season wrap up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back