AIHL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

cousins32

Senior List
Mar 8, 2009
st.kilda
AFL Club
Richmond
hey guys. here we go again. a new year and a new season to look forward too. i have heard whispers the mustangs have released coach stevenson after last season. then they go and rehire laforette again but as an assistant coach. seems a strange call that one (no doubt about his ability to coach but players not keen). no coach as of yet but they are looking. lets hope all goes well for them.

Re: Aihl 2012

hey guys. here we go again. a new year and a new season to look forward too. i have heard whispers the mustangs have released coach stevenson after last season. then they go and rehire laforette again but as an assistant coach. seems a strange call that one (no doubt about his ability to coach but players not keen). no coach as of yet but they are looking. lets hope all goes well for them.

Rumour has it Lafs will be back coaching after some time off and some stress relief. From what I followed last year, he was the one carrying the Mustangs front office before he lost it. There is no doubt he can coach, and if he is just doing that I am certain he will get this young group back to where they should be.

it is strange that someone who got this team up and running is only taking an assistant role butI assume this is what he and the club are happy with. With him behind the bench last year the team was 8-6 and in 3rd place. Without him 2-12.

As a supporter of the Mustangs I am thrilled to hear Lafs is coming back on whatever scale and only hope he can keep a lid on that very hot temper of his, otherwise it could be his last attempt here in Australia..

Go Stangs!!

Re: Aihl 2012

its good to see lafs back after his layoff. he done an extraordinary amount of work with the stangs and i hope he can suit in well with the assistants role. it does seem strange he will be in that position. i hear there looking to bring an international coach over.lets hope that goes well. they would most surely have to pay for one. time will tell. a big year ahead for the stangs i feel. i am itchin for the local derby to kick off and we will see how the new conference set up goes. four less games this year too. bring it on

Time for the first bold call of this years thread.

Perth Thunder will finish ahead of the Mustangs.

Reading that Thunder might have signed a 6 foot 7 defenceman who has played in the ECHL will go a long way to helping that cause. Perreault was excellent last year for the Ice, big strong build and looked a class above the majority of the time.

I like your style pickman. But i cant see perth doing better than the stangs did last year. I honestly believe there is so much talent on the stangs roster. But stranger things have happened. Good luck buddy

I love it!! They should, the have a whole state to pick from LOL.. I hope they do because that means with MI, Adelaide and Perth being the top three teams in the conference and the potential of the Stangs we are going to see some really good hockey..

Cant wait for the start!!

Go Stangs :)

Word around the traps is Scott 'Corby' Corbett will be leaving the Mustangs and returning home. I have heard a few rumours that he was not happy about the sacking of Lafs last year and was not happy with the way the team went after the sacking. For the record Lafs and Corby palyed together for the Ice in 2007-08 season and was recruited back to Melbourne by Lafs. I hope there is no bad feelings left over from last year and this being the reason why he is leaving!!

Having said that I am personally going to miss Scott as he was my favorite. Good luck to him and his future. So what does this mean for the Mustangs?? It cant be good a veteran of his quality leaving the club. Also found out on the same day Troy Robertson is also hanging up the skates!!

Its going to be an interesting start for the Stangs this year. Hope they find a good coach to get this team going cause after Lafs left it was shit house!!

Go Stangs!!

Bit of luck I can get to a few Knights games this year, and actually adopt an AIHL team, instead of going to games as a neutral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fixture is up here: http://www.theaihl.com/media/leagues/3856/graphics/2012AIHLschedule.pdf

2 conferences are slightly different than had been talked about:

Conference A: North Stars, Bears, Ice Dogs, Knights

Conference B: Blue Tongues, Ice, Mustangs, Adrenaline, Thunder

Wow, After the disappointment of Corbett leaving lokk at that Conference!! I am overly excited about this year!! We are going to be watching the best teams in the league every weekend!!

Go Stangs!!

Each team must have had a request or the league set a goal for the max amount of flights that a team could have. Conference A fares very well in that regard with a max of 3 flights, and Conference B a max of 6 for Blue Tongues and Thunder. I wonder if they weighed up how much cash each team had to throw around - i know they are not for profit, but they must make some sort of money off the gate and merchandise etc. They might have contributed funds to perth like a gws or gold coast as they need them to be successful. And i swear they were reducing the amount of games into the late teens (18 or something) but 24 is a pretty good result down from 28 last season.

Disappointed that the Ice won't be playing the North Stars as much, but i guess it will be good to see that conference rivalry build up.

(can't tell that i've been looking forward to the season can you)

They're feral and proud at the Knights, I'm sure you'll fit in well :thumbsu:

So I've heard. Be just like Iserlohn. :thumbsu:

Strange they have the BT's in the same group as Adelaide, Perth & the two Melbourne sides.

Can't see how that reduces their travel burden.

Assuming any Melbourne trips are double-headers (game v Ice, and game v Stangs) would reduce the travel slightly, not sure its enough to be worthwhile though.

Word around the traps is Scott 'Corby' Corbett will be leaving the Mustangs and returning home. I have heard a few rumours that he was not happy about the sacking of Lafs last year and was not happy with the way the team went after the sacking. For the record Lafs and Corby palyed together for the Ice in 2007-08 season and was recruited back to Melbourne by Lafs. I hope there is no bad feelings left over from last year and this being the reason why he is leaving!!

Having said that I am personally going to miss Scott as he was my favorite. Good luck to him and his future. So what does this mean for the Mustangs?? It cant be good a veteran of his quality leaving the club. Also found out on the same day Troy Robertson is also hanging up the skates!!

Its going to be an interesting start for the Stangs this year. Hope they find a good coach to get this team going cause after Lafs left it was shit house!!

Go Stangs!!

wish scott all the best back home in canada, sad to have him leave melbourne. but troy hangin up his skates? is that just from the stangs or both prem A and AIHLA?

Looks like there is plenty of movement with net-minders in the AIHL. Matt Ezzy is leaving Newcastle & the AIHL to get a real job and Olivier Martin is leaving Adelaide to look for jobs elsewhere but will hopefully suit up for another team in the league.

Two big losses for their respective sides.

Can't say that I have heard anything Cousins. Ive been overseas last few weeks and just got back.. If they do get an import coach I cant see them doing much without Lafs at the helm. It didnt work with Stevenson!! I think these guys play harder for Lafs. I hope thats not the case and these boys play for the new coach.

This team has a lot to prove to me on and off the ice. I dont know how an import coach is going to be a step in the right direction. They should spend the money on good imports!!

Go Stangs Go

Can't say that I have heard anything Cousins. Ive been overseas last few weeks and just got back.. If they do get an import coach I cant see them doing much without Lafs at the helm. It didnt work with Stevenson!! I think these guys play harder for Lafs. I hope thats not the case and these boys play for the new coach.

This team has a lot to prove to me on and off the ice. I dont know how an import coach is going to be a step in the right direction. They should spend the money on good imports!!

Go Stangs Go

thanks vicdad for reply. ihave heard a small whisper that the stangs are talking to an overseas coach. lets hope all works out.

I went to an EIHL game last weekend here in Britain and the standard is ok. I haven't seen the AIHL for a while, is the standard good? Has anyone seen both leagues and can compare them?

I must say the goalies in the EIHL are generally pretty poor. I'm talking Luongo away playoff games poor. Their positioning is woeful, they don't challenge shooters well and they give up more rebounds than a midget basketball team.

Went and saw the Ice/Mustangs game and it was pretty damn good for being the kids and a few imports!! Also a very clean spirited game, fast tempo and some big hits!! The Ref was terrible again and was picking on Hughes all night.. That was funny. Lafs was back behind the bench and was extremely quiet and seemed to be concentrating on the game alot more!! I think the players responded very well.. No real big import news. Mustangs have #77 the canadian seemed slow but sick hands.. I really didnt notice anyone from the Ice

Well done to organizers from both clubs, on a fantastic start to the season..

Oh ya, Mustangs won 5-2!!!

Go Stangs Go!!

Really need to try and get down to a Perth Thunder game this season. Been enjoying some of the NHL on TV this year.

Ah, refereeing, unfortunately no such thing as star imports for referees - strength in match officials is always a good way to gauge the strength of a national setup!

Remove this Banner Ad

AIHL Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back