Movie Alien: Romulus - No Spoilers!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I really enjoyed it. Rain and Andy were a solid main pairing, there were some creative set pieces and it moved at an appropriate pace. Visually stunning (for the most part). Probably the best sequel since the original two films.

If I had one criticism, it would be...

Enough of the black goo. I've read some of the comics/graphic novels where it is central to the plot, and it just detracts too much from the Xenomorphs themselves. Whenever I see it on screen I'm just reminded too much of the previous disappointing films.
Disagree. Exploring the greater universe is the only way a franchise will stay interesting. Otherwise it's just cut and paste action/horror flicks which becomes tiresome.

Disagree. Exploring the greater universe is the only way a franchise will stay interesting. Otherwise it's just cut and paste action/horror flicks which becomes tiresome.
Fair enough, each to their own. I disagree though. I compare it to the Halloween franchise. When they tried to explore a wider concept there with the Cult of Thorn? Gross.

Michael Myers is scary because he's a relentless killer. Don't need much in the way of fleshing out or backstory. I feel the same about the Xenomorphs. I watch those original movies because of the creatures, tense scenarios and enjoyable characters, not some weird philosophical subplot about the creation of life.

I thought the first half of this movie was a strong reversion to what made the originals great until it fumbled the ball late.

The final 30 minutes are some of the most intense scenes I've seen in a movie in ages. Genuine edge of your seat stuff.
I did like the end and wont ruin it with a spoiler.

I watched it in a Hoyts Cinema with DBox Motion Recliner, after a heavy leg day at the gym it made it worth the price of the ticket the chair really massaged my legs. phantom13 :$

:D

All I will say about the end, was that I was shocked that it wasnt CGI. :oops:

Im looking forward to a rewatch when its released online.

I watched it in a Hoyts Cinema with DBox Motion Recliner, after a heavy leg day at the gym it made it worth the price of the ticket the chair really massaged my legs. phantom13 :$

Well earned king x

Fair enough, each to their own. I disagree though. I compare it to the Halloween franchise. When they tried to explore a wider concept there with the Cult of Thorn? Gross.

Michael Myers is scary because he's a relentless killer. Don't need much in the way of fleshing out or backstory. I feel the same about the Xenomorphs. I watch those original movies because of the creatures, tense scenarios and enjoyable characters, not some weird philosophical subplot about the creation of life.

I thought the first half of this movie was a strong reversion to what made the originals great until it fumbled the ball late.
I don't think you can compare a sci-fi world with a basic slasher. Already in Alien there is enough there to form a grander world, Weiland Yutani, androids, etc. Aliens already went some way to expanding the universe and each movie since has done it in it's own way. Obviously in a grander scale with Prometheus and Covenant. If Alien just went slasher horror on repeat it would be a massive shame IMO.

Really good practical effects in this movie.

I don't think you can compare a sci-fi world with a basic slasher. Already in Alien there is enough there to form a grander world, Weiland Yutani, androids, etc. Aliens already went some way to expanding the universe and each movie since has done it in it's own way. Obviously in a grander scale with Prometheus and Covenant. If Alien just went slasher horror on repeat it would be a massive shame IMO.
Ive read a stack of theories its all the same universe as Blade Runner too.

100%, the director is a great horror director and till we got to the Rook character it looked like we were in for a really tight nasty horror film like the OG Alien film with some of his own creative touches (eg having it be a group of dumb teens instead of marines being in the situation and the continuous countdown over the PA system etc), which is what I personally wanted.
Im still undecided by the end of the third act (or as the director has said in interviews the fourth act) should watch it again as it was pretty original and he makes a good argument for why he put it in but I think after all the call backs in 2nd half of film I wasn't as invested by then.

Really did like the main android character though, really well acted and good story arc.

I miss the before Marvel time where you didnt have to do homework on the canon before seeing a film. Not every aspect in previous films needs to be explored in future films.
Alien is one best early examples of a slasher flick...that happened to be set in space, it contributed to establishing the genre as one of the most popular genres of the 80s, so there are as many fans of the franchise who are here for the jump scares/creative kills as there are sci-fi/comic book fans who want the world building.

I miss the before Marvel time where you didnt have to do homework on the canon before seeing a film. Not every aspect in previous films needs to be explored in future films.
Alien is one best early examples of a slasher flick...that happened to be set in space, it contributed to establishing the genre as one of the most popular genres of the 80s, so there are as many fans of the franchise who are here for the jump scares/creative kills as there are sci-fi/comic book fans who want the world building.
To be fair i havent seen Romulus but i dont think you HAVE to do that for Alien.

Certainly Covenant and Prometheus had connective elements that assisted in enjoying the lore if you watched them all but mostly they could stand alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had the potential to be great. It's second half let it down for all the reasons already mentioned here.

Loved the set and sound design in general also. If there is a reason surround sound exists, it's for movies like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie Alien: Romulus - No Spoilers!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back