Movie Alien: Romulus

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a cut scene, restored in the far, far better Prometheus - Giftbearer fanedit (that you can find if you don an eyepatch and put a parrot on your shoulder) which shows how enthusiastic he is to find life, any life, on an alien planet.

Prometheus was killed in the editing room.
Prometheus was a beautiful movie, from a cinematography point of view.

Ive seen both theatrical and IMAX in 3D. Blew me away each time.

Alien: Romulus​

The sci-fi/horror-thriller takes the phenomenally successful “Alien” franchise back to its roots: While scavenging the deep ends of a derelict space station, a group of young space colonizers come face to face with the most terrifying life form in the universe. The film stars Cailee Spaeny (“Priscilla”), David Jonsson (“Agatha Christie’s Murder is Easy”), Archie Renaux (“Shadow and Bone”), Isabela Merced (“The Last of Us”), Spike Fearn (“Aftersun”), Aileen Wu. Fede Alvarez (“Evil Dead,” “Don’t Breathe”) directs from a screenplay he wrote with frequent collaborator Rodo Sayagues (“Don’t Breathe 2”) based on characters created by Dan O’Bannon and Ronald Shusett. “Alien: Romulus” is produced by Ridley Scott (“Napoleon”), who directed the original “Alien” and produced and directed the series’ entries “Prometheus” and “Alien: Covenant,” Michael Pruss (“Boston Strangler”), and Walter Hill (“Alien”), with Fede Alvarez, Elizabeth Cantillon (“Charlie’s Angels”), Brent O’Connor (“Bullet Train”), and Tom Moran (“Unstoppable”) serving as executive producers.

Director Fede Alvarez
Cast Cailee Spaeny, Isabela Merced, Archie Renaux, David Jonsson, Spike Fearn
Genre Horror, Sci Fi
Release Date 15 August 2024

Been hearing about that fan edit for years, I really should get round to it.
Ive seen the extended version of Alien 3 and ironically I think the edited version is superior, far more simpler and concise.

I only watch the extended version to give me a more complete story.

However for T2, I much prefer the Extended Special Edition than the theatrical release.

---------

The director is so passionate about the IP that he has played all of the Alien games, including Alien: Isolation.

If you have never played Isolation I highly recommend it even if you aren't a gamer. It's terrifying, has a strong story that ties into that original film and even Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) herself as well as the others reprised their roles with cameos. It's better than anything that came after the first 2 films.

---------

The director is so passionate about the IP that he has played all of the Alien games, including Alien: Isolation.

If you have never played Isolation I highly recommend it even if you aren't a gamer. It's terrifying, has a strong story that ties into that original film and even Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) herself as well as the others reprised their roles with cameos. It's better than anything that came after the first 2 films.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsu:

---------

I reckon it’ll be a very competent film fans will enjoy.

What will be interesting will be if he takes risks to add something new or if he plays it safe and gives fans what they want.

Prometheus tried the former and was a mixed bag. Covenant tried to build on it while also going with the latter and it didn’t work.

I reckon it’ll be a very competent film fans will enjoy.

What will be interesting will be if he takes risks to add something new or if he plays it safe and gives fans what they want.

Prometheus tried the former and was a mixed bag. Covenant tried to build on it while also going with the latter and it didn’t work.

IMO Covenant didn't really build on it, rather just swept it to the side.

I would have personally continued with Shaw as the new Ripley but from memory she was shooting another movie and so they just went the direction they did with her. Felt really hollow as her character arc was nowhere near done and the romantic/sexual connection they were hinting at between David and her in the prologue was interesting - the sexual (or lack of?) dynamic of human and robot/android is an interesting theme to think about given the rise of AI and sex dolls. David's realization that he can not satisfy her emotionally or physically would have been a good motivation to have him go crazy.

Last edited:
There's a cut scene, restored in the far, far better Prometheus - Giftbearer fanedit (that you can find if you don an eyepatch and put a parrot on your shoulder) which shows how enthusiastic he is to find life, any life, on an alien planet.

Yep. I'd encourage any Alien fans that haven't seen Giftbearer to do so, its substantially superior telling of the story. I love Scott but he shit the bed putting that movie together which is a pity as all the pieces were there.

Yep. I'd encourage any Alien fans that haven't seen Giftbearer to do so, its substantially superior telling of the story. I love Scott but he shit the bed putting that movie together which is a pity as all the pieces were there.
Opening with a young Weyland giving that speech was brilliant. Guy Pearce should feel a bit short-changed by Ridley because it was a great monologue that needed to be seen on the big screen.

Last edited:
IMO Covenant didn't really build on it, rather just swept it to the side.

I would have personally continued with Shaw as the new Ripley but from memory she was shooting another movie and so they just went the direction they did with her. Felt really hollow as her character arc was nowhere near done and the romantic/sexual connection they were hinting at between David and her in the prologue was interesting - the sexual (or lack of?) dynamic of human and robot/android is an interesting theme to think about given the rise of AI and sex dolls. David's realization that he can not satisfy her emotionally or physically would have been a good motivation to have him go crazy.
The Ellen Ripley/Newt story (and her actual child living and dying while she was in stasis) was one of frustrated motherhood and Alien 4 gave that a tweak with Ripley and the alien child. David's arc was clearly going to be one of frustrated fatherhood.

Opening with a young Weyland giving that speech was brilliant. Guy Pearce should feel a bit short-changed by Ridley because it was a great monologue that needed to be seen on the big screen.

& it help set the movie up perfectly imho. I really don't know what they were thinking leaving that scene out.

& it help set the movie up perfectly imho. I really don't know what they were thinking leaving that scene out.
In terms of pacing, I understand why they dont have the scene, but its a crucial scene that should definitely be part of any blu ray release in an extended version of the movie. As an Alien fan I would want it in, but I think if I wasnt, I can see it unnecessarily making the movie too long.

The scene is 5mins long and it would somewhat lengthen the time for the audience from the discovery to being on the ship and ultimately delay the arrival on the planet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of pacing, I understand why they dont have the scene, but its a crucial scene that should definitely be part of any blu ray release in an extended version of the movie. As an Alien fan I would want it in, but I think if I wasnt, I can see it unnecessarily making the movie too long.

The scene is 5mins long and it would somewhat lengthen the time for the audience from the discovery to being on the ship and ultimately delay the arrival on the planet.

I hear you but it's 5mins. I suspect Scott was eventually forced into cutting the running time as I could never really wrap my head around him being so, careless isn't the right word but it's in the ballpark. Be interested to know if he has ever commented on such things, probably no as wouldn't want to upset the money.

Cheers for this, went full pirate and tracked a copy down. :) 🏴‍☠️

FWIW I enjoyed Prometheus and have never really understood the hate.

Its all good

alien GIF

I hear you but it's 5mins. I suspect Scott was eventually forced into cutting the running time as I could never really wrap my head around him being so, careless isn't the right word but it's in the ballpark. Be interested to know if he has ever commented on such things, probably no as wouldn't want to upset the money.
I wanted to add, that Im not disagreeing with you about the scene being in and in fact if I watched it, I would prefer and want it in, but for the larger audience that are not die hard Alien fans, I could see why they didnt include it in the movie.

I definitely agree cutting the scene from the movie entirely was a mistake.

Im a bit confused about this link, explaining a deleted scene, but I think its relation to the casting of Guy Pearce instead of an older actor.

"[W]e didn’t end up shooting it," Pearce said. "We got close to shooting it, and as we got closer, Ridley just started to see it as something that would just be a little distracting, almost. And funnily enough, there was this sort of marketing idea from the outset that we would do Peter Weyland giving this TED lecture, and it was kind of funny that that ended up taking precedence over what was in the movie. So, yeah, I guess in the end, they could have cast an older actor."

------

Interesting going back and seeing the actors poor reactions to Alien 3 but they sum it up pretty well.

Somewhat biased opinions here, one wasnt in it, one was killed off in literally the opening scene.

My take is that the movie was a point of difference in the franchise. As stand alone movie, it wasnt great, but does IMO add depth overall to the Alien universe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back