Toast All hail the Chief. New AFL legend inductee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge congratulations to Jason Dunstall on being elevated to Legend status in the AFL hall of fame, a tad overdue but so well deserved.

A true 🏆🏆🏆🏆 time Hawk Premiership legend and now officially an AFL legend.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an all time great player, club CEO when we needed a steady hand and a very good media performer I can't think of anyone else with that kind of resume.

Still have fond memories of going to training at Glenferrie watching him practise kicking goals into that big net whilst the other players did laps.
Absolutely, I was going to Swinburne at the time and regularly parked behind the grandstand.

The other was George Stone stab kicking balls from about 15 metres and the one grab marks in front of his face, time after time. No limit on the minutes then by the strength and conditioning coach!

Thank heavens that copper in Miami listened to Yabby in 1985 on the end of season footy exhibition, "whatever you do, don't shoot the fat one!"

Greatly deserved for JD.

Can't think of anyone more deserving. Absolutely epitomises what our club is about whether on field or in the boardroom. We are so fortunate to have him.

I've only ever owned one cutout of a sportsperson, and it was the Bung.

Hands like a vice, tougher than steel, and never complained or lost his cool.

Except for the pinchy pinchy Kelly game.

Was not gifted the obvious attributes of his great peers. Was better than all of them for much of his career.

Can't think of anyone more worthy of Legend status.

Was not gifted the obvious attributes of his great peers. Was better than all of them for much of his career.

Dunstall always struck me as somewhat of a Football samurai.

He had his craft, lead mark forward, and he honed his craft until he was flawless at it.

I think his biggest attribute was his ability to focus, like you say he never, ever lost his cool.

Was also scrupulously fair player, he copped so many whacks on the back of big old head from thuggish full backs yet always maintained his cool.

Probably what made him an excellent CEO as well, he didn't let emotion get in the way of his decision to choos Clarko as coach.

You the bloke who used to bring the Dunstall cutout to games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will leave this here. The late great Allan Jeans famous quote about piggy

It's folklore that when legendary Hawks coach Allan Jeans was called down to a police station after some of his players had been 'taken in' during an end-of-season night on the town, he told one of the officers that he could shoot "him, him and him, but not the fat one", referring to his prized Queensland recruit.

One of the all-time great footballers and rightly gets elevated to Legend status because to put it bluntly he is a legend of the game.
Most humble man who always pays credit to the players up field for his legendary football career but there were not many in the game with vice like grip of the ball than Dunstall. In fact, I would go as far as to say he was the best player on the lead I have ever seen. If he got in front of you and the ball was delivered, you were ****ed as a defender. Because not only would he take the mark but would go back and kick the goal. Years of diligence and practice after hours made him the player he was. Someone who you can legitimately look up to as footballer and human being and hero. Thanks so much for the wonderful years of football and well done piggy so richly deserved.

Something I think a out when I think of Dunstall is how reliable he was at kicking goals from outside 50m (as where Ablett, Lockett, Rocca, Modra, etc).

You don't see that many goals kicked from the 50m arc these days, its somewhat of a lost art.

Seems to me though being able to kick goals from outside 50m would help break the congestion inside forward 50s, a bit like how Steph Curry changed the NBA with his extra long range three point shots.

a656c370ab0121980d79623a44b6d685

rocked the helmet too :)

Well deserved….

A class player and great servant of our club…

We were truly blessed growing up in the 80s, watching the likes of Platten, Pritchard and later, Condon, Anderson and Jarman delivering the ball lace out to a leading Dunstall…

To think Jeans had him playing on the wing and defence in his first few games before being switched to full forward…

All Hail Jason Dunstall

Absolute Superstar of AFL, blessed to have seen him play on so many occasions and tear the opposition apart. He was part of what I believe was the greatest side of all time and has gone on to become a highly respected presenter and personality.

Well deserved Chief. You are not only a Hawthorn Legend but an AFL Legend.

My fav player growing up .
My Dad encouraged me to write him a letter ......got a response 3 months later.
Answered all my silly questions and gave me tips on goal kicking on how you need to practice and work hard to improve no matter what sport you play or what you do in life.

Still think his goal v the Doggies at the western oval is on of the sneaky great goals of all time .

And one of the great media performers and one worth listening too .

Legend of the club and of the game

Funny to think that The Chief has given so much joy to football lovers (not just Hawks supporters but the broader AFL) whilst simultaneously being someone who openly admits his dislike of people in general!

Although maybe having to play next to Dermott for 10 years would drive most people to that condition 😅

My Nana had Jason in her living room for 10 years too. Some great early memories of him was when I missed a footy clinic as a kid cause I broke my arm after the first day (so exited was kicking the ball at home kicked the ball on the roof and fell down) I went to the day with my cast on and had Jason sign it and a chat. A week later they changed my cast to a smaller one and so my dad took me to a breakfast function Jason was at and he rembered me and signed the 2nd cast. Kept those arm casts far too long after that eventually got rid of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back