All over - not worth turning up! (the media)

Remove this Banner Ad

mcglee

All Australian
Apr 9, 2008
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching On the Couch , first five minutes was talking about Geelong or Collingwood playing for a chance to play ..... well St Kilda. Sheahan said it was unfair to Collingwood that they had to play Geelong and should have had the easy game as reward for finishing top. Everyone wants a Cats Pies GF..... not that a St Kilda v Cats or Geelong GF wouldn't be good.

I know we are underdogs but found it insulting we were completely disregarded. Will no doubt be more of the same on OWAT and Classified.

Carlton beat Essendon in 1999 - media shouldn't just completely ignore us.

Watching On the Couch , first five minutes was talking about Geelong or Collingwood playing for a chance to play ..... well St Kilda. Sheahan said it was unfair to Collingwood that they had to play Geelong and should have had the easy game as reward for finishing top. Everyone wants a Cats Pies GF..... not that a St Kilda v Cats or Geelong GF wouldn't be good.

I am sick of the argument that journos put about this.

If Collingwood had lost to the Saints in the first week, then somehow lost to Freo last week - how would that have been fair?

Utter bollocks in my opinion.

Looks a little worse than it is this year for the Pies, purely cos Geelong lost against the Saints, in a game most expected Geelong to win...

The attitude of the media is more understandable given that so many Bulldogs 'supporters' had obviously decided that the 1/4 final was a foregone conclusion. :thumbsdown:

TAB Premiership odds:

Collingwood $2.60
Geelong $2.75
St Kilda $3.25
Footscray $15.00 (We're as far out as $17 with other bookies)

It's amazing that this is the longest we've been for the flag all year.

We're the 4th seed, no doubt about it.

Well, we've given them pretty good reason not to regard us as being a serious threat. All form throughout the home and away series and the finals to this point show that we're a clear fourth in the group.

If any team should feel aggrieved by how they've been treated by the media it should be the Saints. They've managed to get through a significant portion of the season without Roo, and still manage to maintain a top four ladder position knocking off the Cats in the process, only for the media to treat the result as an apparition.

We deserve to be rank outsiders this week and not regarded as a threat.

What reason have we given to the media to believe that we're a chance this Saturday?

- Haven't beaten the other top 4 sides at all this season, including 2 trashings
- Missing Cooney Morris and Higgins
- Last month has been abysmal, minus last week

The other 3 teams have full sides and are pretty much playing their best football of the year, how did you expect us to be rated?

What reason have we given to the media to believe that we're a chance this Saturday?

- Haven't beaten the other top 4 sides at all this season, including 2 trashings
- Missing Cooney Morris and Higgins
- Last month has been abysmal, minus last week

The other 3 teams have full sides and are pretty much playing their best football of the year, how did you expect us to be rated?

I think it is more the fact that we are being COMPLETELY disregarded. The media is talking as though our match has already been played, and the saints have won comfortably.
Obviously they deserve to be favourites, but shit, I think we deserve a little more respect than we are getting.

Oh well, I can only imagine the reaction when we win on Saturday. Lets hope the boys go out and just rip the saints to shreds.

I know we are underdogs but found it insulting we were completely disregarded. Will no doubt be more of the same on OWAT and Classified.

Its unfair?

They have a weeks rest to play the 2nd ranked team, we had the same rest and beat the 2nd ranked team, besides the pies would of had to of beaten Geelong at some stage anyway.

What annoys me the most though, is that we are 3rd favorite for the flag, yet the FAVORITE to make the grand final, so it seems that if we make the GF we will be underdogs no matter what.

St Kilda is a bit short for this game, you guys are definately a good chance to make it.

I think it is more the fact that we are being COMPLETELY disregarded. The media is talking as though our match has already been played, and the saints have won comfortably.
Obviously they deserve to be favourites, but shit, I think we deserve a little more respect than we are getting.

Oh well, I can only imagine the reaction when we win on Saturday. Lets hope the boys go out and just rip the saints to shreds.

That's fair enough.

To be honest I think we play the best when there is no expectation, so who knows what the team can serve up.

I thought prior to the semi final that all 3 teams in this side of the finals are a chance to make the GF because they match up so well against each other, the prelim will be decided by less than 2 goals, and I reckon we're a chance.

Things against us:

* Cooney (our best player) & Higgins will miss.
* Our 3 tall defenders are no where 100% fit (Morris, Lake & Williams) & 2 of our running defenders aren't 100% fit either (Wood & Harbrow)
* Gilbee, Hargrave & Ward aren't in great touch.
* Our best running mid isn't 100% fit (Griffen)
* 3 of our 'oldies' aren't playing anywhere near their best (Johnson, Hahn & Eagleton)
* Our 'X-factor' up forward can't get near it (Grant)

Things for us:

* We are in a PF.

-----

You can see why we aren't being rated and the only way to prove otherwise is to perform well on Saturday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, your avatar had me occupied and I missed the entire point of your thread.. :eek:

Either way, whether its the Saints or Dogs who get through, neither team will be rated.

Hell, the way the media is beating up the situation the AFL might aswell disqualify the saints v dogs prelim and make the pies v cats prelim the GF...

Either way, screw the media... They dont like the fact that their preferred GF showdown isnt going to happen - stiff shite...

Yes it is fair enough we a rank outsiders with the injuries. If we had our best side in injury free I think we would win.

The one guy in the media that really is a tool is David King. Do not know if he missed out on a coaching job with us but for some reason he has been on our case all year.

This started pre season in our first NAB cup game against the hawks who rated way better than the dogs and he said he did not rate the dogs and this has continued all year. Last night on AW he said the dogs only won because the swans were tired from the blues game. No mentioned of injuries or the fact we came from 30 points down.

He went on and said that Eade should seek the bombers job he can take this group no further after three prelim. finals. If you arrived back in the country and you did not know the prelim had not been played it was liked we were already out.

I could not get on slaps and sledges on AW would have given him a big pay.
Gee I hope we win and in Teddy speak we stick up them/him

I read Rohan Connolly's article in The Age yesterday. As far as he's concerned, this week is just about St Kilda tuning up for the GF.

No worse then last year listening to the radio on Thursday night when they were playing a add for the Geelong vs Collingwood prelim and ended it with "find out who will take on St.Kilda in the Grand Final".

Love it - the perfect build up for a side like ours - makes the coach's job easy (to motivate his charges) - and makes the opposition coach's job that little bit harder.

the only problem with this is it will remind St.Kilda of what happened last season so you would think they will be extra focused on killing the game early.

also AA selectors have done us no favors leaving out Lenny Hayes, he will come out like a raging bull to prove them wrong.

I'm happy going into the game like that with the media giving us no chance...I think we play better with our backs against it...nobody gave us a chance last year against them and really we should have won that game. Bit of intestinal fortitude from the boys this week and you never know. I'm sure the Saints players are probably letting the thoughts of what they will be doing grand final week slip into their minds whereas our guys won't be.

INSIGHT, I've noticed that...David King must have been poisoned sitting next to Terry Wallet in the coaches box

So it's official... we play for the bronze?

Though dogs can deffinatly win, always have been my bogey side... ever since '92.
You do realise that in the last 4 games the Dogs have improved against the Saints each time... with the last time being a 'should of won' game.
I'm sure they know how to beat us and how to apply it, just a matter of application.

So it's not a done deal come Saturday night yet I'm not nervous, if we can't account for you guys wounded and all then we'd only get flogged in the GF... something I'd rather not experience.

So it's official... we play for the bronze?

Though dogs can deffinatly win, always have been my bogey side... ever since '92.
You do realise that in the last 4 games the Dogs have improved against the Saints each time... with the last time being a 'should of won' game.
I'm sure they know how to beat us and how to apply it, just a matter of application.

So it's not a done deal come Saturday night yet I'm not nervous, if we can't account for you guys wounded and all then we'd only get flogged in the GF... something I'd rather not experience.

If you don't account for wounded old us, it won't be you getting flogged in the GF, it will be the Dogs.:D

Sorry, your avatar had me occupied and I missed the entire point of your thread.. :eek:

Either way, whether its the Saints or Dogs who get through, neither team will be rated.

Hell, the way the media is beating up the situation the AFL might aswell disqualify the saints v dogs prelim and make the pies v cats prelim the GF...

Either way, screw the media... They dont like the fact that their preferred GF showdown isnt going to happen - stiff shite...

You've nailed it. The media has been denied their wet dream of a Pies v Cats GF, so they've cracked it.

We're in with a shot on Saturday, whether they like it or not. We've waited for 56 years FFS. Stuff 'em.

What's new. Most of the media, the bookmakers and the punters wrote us off against the Swans last week too. We were out to $26 for the flag at one stage.
The most positive comments went along the lines of..."gee if it all goes right for the Dogs and Sydney think that they are playing at Etihad, they may actually beat the Swans". :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

All over - not worth turning up! (the media)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back