All star game

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendlebury is correct in ruling out SOO because essentially it's a game designed for the Vics to take pride in their jumper, yet anyone wearing the All-stars jumper is only there to let the Vics play together.

Going forward, I don't see much passion inspired by all the other states fighting with Victoria. Also, I'm not too keen on building a Vic vs The Rest mentallity in the AFL.

Let it die.

This is a brilliant idea.

More people should take notice because it solves every problem :thumbsu:

The players give 100% because they are competitive beasts who want to be respected by their peers. Don't need a Vic guernsey to inspire passion. Would love to see Cotchin, Martin, Pendlebury, Selwood, etc teaming up to take on Carlton, Essendon, etc and their best players.

There is greater pride in your own team's contribution each year. When a young gun emerges for a club in your group, you can take a little more pleasure watching him knowing he'll help you in the teamed club rivalry match.

As for interstate clubs, the interest is massive with Freo vs WC, Adel vs Port, etc all in the one match.

I like it.

What?

Sandgropers and Croweaters had just as much, if not more pride in their state team than the Vics.

Also WA vs VIC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the derby.

If this concept was to come about, I'd love to see some fan involvement with the selection of the team.

A voting system like the NBA run would be good.
Obviously some restriction would need to be put in place.

Maybe only have certain members from each team eligible, and/or limit the amount of players selected by the fans on each team.

Let's be honest, we don't want the whole Collingwood team lining up

Would be good if you just grouped half of the AFL teams on one side and the other half on the other side say...

West Coast
Crows
Brisbane
Sydney
Carlton
Essendon
Bulldogs
St. Kilda
Melbourne

VS.

Freo
Port
Gold Coast
GWS
Collingwood
Tigers
North
Hawthorn
Geelong

In some way so that a lot of the traditional rivalry's can still be upheld (Port vs Crows, West Coast vs Freo, Collingwood vs Carlton ect) and the cross city rivalrys can still be there as well. This way you could also support the same team every year.

How much do you think the old rivalries actually mean to the players? I really don't see a few players from Port, say, getting competitive just because there are a few Crows playing for the opposition.

Also, why are the Dogs grouped with North? We should be with Essendon or possibly St Kilda.

Pendlebury is correct in ruling out SOO because essentially it's a game designed for the Vics to take pride in their jumper, yet anyone wearing the All-stars jumper is only there to let the Vics play together.

Going forward, I don't see much passion inspired by all the other states fighting with Victoria. Also, I'm not too keen on building a Vic vs The Rest mentallity in the AFL.

Let it die.

What are you talking about? Why wouldn't South Australia, Western Australia, New South Wales, Queensland and Tassie take just as much pride in their jumper? These teams could be super competitive too.

This is a brilliant idea.

More people should take notice because it solves every problem :thumbsu:

The players give 100% because they are competitive beasts who want to be respected by their peers. Don't need a Vic guernsey to inspire passion. Would love to see Cotchin, Martin, Pendlebury, Selwood, etc teaming up to take on Carlton, Essendon, etc and their best players.

There is greater pride in your own team's contribution each year. When a young gun emerges for a club in your group, you can take a little more pleasure watching him knowing he'll help you in the teamed club rivalry match.

As for interstate clubs, the interest is massive with Freo vs WC, Adel vs Port, etc all in the one match.

I like it.

How can you possibly think the interest for this would exceed the interest for SoO? Any Carlton vs Collingwood rivalry between maybe 3 PLAYERS would be extinguished by the fact they're also playing WITH Essendon players, Richmond players or any other supposed rivalry that exists. This is a terrible idea.

I love the whole idea of SOO. However, it is not going to work in this current environment.
There are just too many states to represent and so little time.

I for one, do not mind the idea that has been put forward.

What I do not like is the idea of how teams would be picked.

As mentioned in previous posts, I would be for having the two teams picked from All the Vic clubs Vs All others.

Plus getting fans involved in the selection of the teams

Pendles has an NBA obsession. Premiership rings and now an all-star weekend. No doubt he's got his eye on free agency as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

All star game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back