Thread hijacked, don’t bother entering unless you want to be bored by repetition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was posting on the dutton demand that dangerous people from gaza should not be given visas to come to australia. I agreed, in part, with him and extended his argument to everyone who is involved in the killing of innocent civilians, especially small children. I thought most aussies would agree with that point of view. They dont want to live next door to people who have killed babies in war.

The substance of my post related to dutton's demand, not to the war itself. I will admit that Dutton referred to palestinians refugees but I took a wider view and suggest that anyone coming from a war zone should be checked out for their support of killing babies.

An interesting outcome from Dutton's call to exclude palestinians from entering australia, is his comparison between hamas and the nazis. His key point was that hamas is worse because the nazis tried to conceal their crimes, and hamas doesnt. One would assume that he would get agreement from israeli and local jewish interests, especially after he has recently been to israel to receive instructions, but evidently he has overstepped the mark.

It will be interesting to see how dutton realigns himself.

Agree with Markfs on this question, though I disagree with many of his posts.

How can you "murder a thread" which explicitly allows "All Politics"" by posting on an issue of such massive contemporary significance as the ongoing genocide in Gaza?

Marksfs sometimes expresses an anti-Semitic attitude. But such posts should be allowed, so that they can be refuted and exposed for what they are.

You can't fight anything by censoring it.

There were several posters on that thread who agreed with the genocide in Gaza, because: a) the Palestinian people voted for Hamas, and therefore deserve to die because they are all terrorists , and b) poor little Israel is "only defending itself".

You never voiced any opposition to the attitude of these pro-genocide posters, who populated the thread as well.
Someone else who fails the comprehension test. Take it to the SRP.

Looks like she wants to stay on the gravy train, despite the wishes of the electorate.

She has another four years before her Senate spot goes before voters but her chances of holding it are thin. It was the ALP brand that won her the seat in 2022, with her personal vote of 1,681, compared with the ALP's 511,000 votes.

She says its not about her, but surely with that amount of votes she understands that the seat belongs to Labor.
Hand it back cow!

Very interesting.
Considering Voldermorts "nazi" comparison I can understand the Israel government wanting a presence in Gaza. After all this is what the Allies did in WW2 when the Nazi's were defeated.
They stayed until it was clear the Nazi threat had dissipated. Just like the Israeli's need to stay until the Hamas threat has dissipated.
Does anyone expect Israel to walk away and let Hamas rebuild without interference?

Looks like she wants to stay on the gravy train, despite the wishes of the electorate.

She says its not about her, but surely with that amount of votes she understands that the seat belongs to Labor.
Hand it back cow!
I'm confused, you've been parroting Dutton recently. I assumed that you wouldn't want Labor to have the seat?

I'm confused, you've been parroting Dutton recently. I assumed that you wouldn't want Labor to have the seat?

it's why you can't thumbs up any post. I think any senator leaving a political party should vacate their senate seat but I dont think that I've ever seen it done.

And I dont think calling the senator a cow is particularly beneficial to the situation, although I acknowledge that many here have had problematical childhoods and ongoing issues with women.

i was just out in the car and was listening to the ABC and it seems that canberra is still going on about those gaza refugees.

It seems to me that it would be simple to provide a list of names to the local jewish associations who could check back home and see if the people were acceptable. I'm sure that the israeli authorities have done a complete analysis of everyone in gaza....after all, if ASIO was asked to do it like dutton wants, they would only go to MOSSAD and get them to vet the list.

And then canberra could move on to other matters.

i was just out in the car and was listening to the ABC and it seems that canberra is still going on about those gaza refugees.

It seems to me that it would be simple to provide a list of names to the local jewish associations who could check back home and see if the people were acceptable. I'm sure that the israeli authorities have done a complete analysis of everyone in gaza....after all, if ASIO was asked to do it like dutton wants, they would only go to MOSSAD and get them to vet the list.

And then canberra could move on to other matters.

ASIS deals with this intelligence Mark.

They are accountable to the Foreign Minister.

I'm sure Penny has it covered.

EDIT: Maybe not 🤷‍♂️

JOURNALIST: Minister, may I ask regarding relatives of Australians in Gaza, is the government looking at fast-tracking visas?

FOREIGN MINISTER: Well, look, you know, we’re really conscious of the concern in the community about these issues. We’re really conscious of what is occurring in Gaza and the consequences for people here, including those who have come to Australia. These are matters that Minister Burke I’m sure will work through in the appropriate time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOURNALIST: Minister, may I ask regarding relatives of Australians in Gaza, is the government looking at fast-tracking visas?

FOREIGN MINISTER: Well, look, you know, we’re really conscious of the concern in the community about these issues. We’re really conscious of what is occurring in Gaza and the consequences for people here, including those who have come to Australia. These are matters that Minister Burke I’m sure will work through in the appropriate time.

It's such a bizarre issue - the borders are closed and Australia is debating the processing of visas.

It's such a bizarre issue - the borders are closed and Australia is debating the processing of visas.

I think there is confusion among the decision makers. There are some who have stated the goal of moving palestinians out of gaza, but the people on the ground in this country dont want to take them. They will have to work out what they want so and the australian gov't will just have to await instructions. Dutton has really confused the matter. I sense a frustration with him taking an opportunistic approach for his own purposes. This must be especially true when you consider that he has just returned from his briefing in israel. I think this problem will also be apparent in other countries with signficant jewish populations. It probably indicates that a Congo-like outcome will be pursued, but perhaps in a more sellable location closer to gaza.

Agreed.

But I do think it's a process that needs to be done properly for when the time arises.

Let's make sure we get the process right, quick processing times without demonisation for people who want to leave but proper and safe filtering to ensure national security.

I think it's obvious that there is a lack of trust with the local authorities. I would think that a simpler solution is just to provide israel with a list...and I'm being facetious there because the palestinians in gaza have been effectively in jail for two decades and most jailers know the people in their jails and which ones are being allowed to leave for other countries.

Another possible solution that might allay local jewish concerns is to have palestinian visa holders wear ankle bracelets. Of course that would require a long term commitment from the gov't to maintain these bracelets, even if other parties were doing the monitoring.

Agreed.

But I do think it's a process that needs to be done properly for when the time arises.

Let's make sure we get the process right, quick processing times without demonisation for people who want to leave but proper and safe filtering to ensure national security.

I can sense your frustration that you want to get this process moving. Some locals here might be conflicted between their own short term wants and forget about the long term goal...

the squeeze is on in one way. A month or two back, it looked favourable to extend the war until the US election. Now less so. A solution to what to do with the gazans post war is going to require some concessions from the people that matter in a lot of western countries. As i said, this visa issue is just a litmus test.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, Dutton is a Howard protege. He's going to run a xenophobia campaign and thus regardless of how good the process is it'll be wrong and threatening national security. And the electorate won't know if the process is appropriate or not.

It looks like dutton is going to back-off. Maybe he has been shown other ways to trigger the australian electorate. Maybe someone has taken the time to explain the wider implication of australia not taking in palestinians.

Labor has a clear path. It can cater to labor supporters who would normally support visas in these situations, and can also cater to israeli longterm goals.

Dutton is being squeezed. Many liberal supporters want the palestinians excluded and some local jewish groups feel the same. I'm sure that dutton has heard the other side of the story, having just come from israel.

But if he can win the argument with the wider australian community, dutton might be able to push the squeeze back on Labor. You can see why the two groups see this issue as being so important and why it is dominating parliament.

Can dutton go rogue and make his own play for an electoral win, or is he going to rely on networking to deliver that goal...and who to network with? Maybe Dutton is looking at a short term win but he is forgetting that israel doesnt forget. How is Dutton going to react if Israel starts asking western countries to take more palestinians in 6 months time?

dutton wore his rossi boots to israel when he visited....

The local jewish lobby paid for dutton's trip to go there, but evidently he had a side hussle and wore gina rinehart rossi boots... yes gina has bought the company....oh well, its back to kmart ..

anyway it seems that he is wearing them everywhere....he'll make a good apprentice on trump's next season

dutton wore his rossi boots to israel when he visited....

The local jewish lobby paid for dutton's trip to go there, but evidently he had a side hussle and wore gina rinehart rossi boots... yes gina has bought the company....oh well, its back to kmart ..

anyway it seems that he is wearing them everywhere....he'll make a good apprentice on trump's next season

Not surprised you're the type of guy that looks someone in their feet, not their eyes.

It's only 180k odd Qantas points for business return from Tel Aviv. If you want to go I'll book you flights.

Given the high probability you may need to run for a bomb shelter I probably wouldn't cheap out on footwear though. Lowa and Salomon boots were pretty popular in a former line of work ;)

Members of Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO) have unanimously demanded the resignation of MSO senior management over their recent decision to cancel concerts by renowned pianist Jayson Gillham after his introduction to Witness, a five-minute piece included in his August 11 piano recital.

Gillham explained in his introduction that this piece was dedicated to the journalists who had been murdered by the IDF in Gaza.T he piece was composed by Connor D’Netto, in memory to the more than 100 Palestinian journalists killed by Israel in Gaza since October 7.
Gillham told his audience that Israel’s murder of Palestinian journalists was illegal and had been carried out “to prevent the documentation and broadcasting of war crimes to the world.”

In response, MSO management cancelled Gillham's future performances, because he was expressing "unauthorised political opinions".

Confronted with a storm of opposition on social media, MSO management retreated and lyingly claimed that the cancellation of Gillham's performances had been an "error".

However, the musicians refused to accept this pathetic "excuse", and endorsed a letter demanding the resignation of the MSO managing director and chief operating officer.

^Expecting demands of censorship from Sideswipe.
Clearly the issue of MSO management censoring artistic expression needs to be sent to another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back