Competitions All Time Draft - Vote For The Best Team

Who Has The Best Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 173
Pick 173 - Ron Durham

At the risk of upsetting MR - You gotta love a bloke who, in his first game at Full Back, has a lazy 10 kicked on him!!!

No? What if he knuckles down a bit, doesn't lose his cool and is still good enough to win the best and fairest in that same season!!!!! Oh, and did I mention it was year the Tiges also won the Premiership - it was 1943 - pretty good first season that! He was a great defender

Only got to play 59 games across 5 seasons - injuries crueled him, eventually a serious knee injury got him at aged 27 and he retired.

B: D Astbury F.Swift R.Dean
HB: D.Rowe D.Minogue(c) G.Burgin
C: S.Maxfield M Rioli Snr L.Merrett
HF: N.Roberts P.Guinane E.Zschech
F: R.Bawden R.McLean J.Titus
FOL: M.Green T.Free R.Martin
INT: G.Bayliss R.Durham xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

You are up _RT_

Pick 174
Alexander "Alec" James Edmond
Date of Birth: 1878
Death: 8 January, 1950., aged 72

Honours
1902 Premiership Captain
1905 Premiership Captain
1908 Richmond Life Member
2007 Hall of Fame
RFC Committee 1901-1902, 1912

Biography:
Edmond played 126 games for Richmond in the VFA from 1899 -1907 and kicked 20 goals.
He was a dual Premiership captain, a rare feat equalled by Dan Minogue (1920/21), Percy Bentley (1932/34), Royce Hart (1973/74), and surpassed by Trent Cotchin (2017/19/20)
Edmond led Richmond in 101 games - a club record that lasted for 30 years until Percy Bentley in 1937.

During his captaincy tenure at Tigerland, Richmond finished the Home and Away ladder as followed:
1901 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. No Grand Final was held that year.
1902 Season - 1st player on H+A ladder. Premiers for finishing on top. No Grand Final was held.
1903 Season - 1st place on H+A ladder, but lost Grand Final to North Melbourne.
1904 Season - 1st place on H+A ladder, but forfeited the Grand Final against North Melbourne.
1905 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. Premiers, defeated North Melbourne in Grand Final.
1906 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. Lost in the Semi Final to Footscray.
1907 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. Lost in the Semi Final to West Melbourne.

Three particular seasons are worth noting.
In 1902, Richmond won 15 games and lost only 1.
In 1903, under his captaincy, Richmond won 15 consecutive matches between Rd 3 and Rd 17. It is an achievement not yet surpassed in our seniors history.
In the 1904 season, Richmond forfeited playing the 1904 Grand Final due to the umpire who was appointed to the match.

His brother Bruce played for Richmond in 1904, and another brother Jack played in 1900.
Alec died in 1950, The Age newspaper called him "a star for Richmond."
In 2007 he was posthumously inducted into the Richmond Football Club Hall of Fame.

peterbuch74

Last edited:
Pick 175
With selection # 175, the PB74's select JIMMY SMITH
132 Games, 40 Goals, played between 1917-1926, 2 time premiership player

James was a champion half-back-flanker who was fearless in his desire to win the ball.

He was recruited from the Yarra Park school where he had been a fine all-round athlete. Tough and steady rather than flashy he read the play well.

He originally came to Richmond as a forward, however it didn't take him long to find his feet as a half-back and was one of the star performers during the club's first successful Finals era.

He was a member of the 1920 and 1921 Premiership sides and the 1919 Grand Final side. Playing in 11 Finals games for Richmond he was voted in the best three players - five times.

He was Richmond's best player in the 1924 Final against eventual Premiers Essendon and the 1919 Grand Final.

He spent a total of 10 seasons with Richmond and represented Victoria five times. James was awarded Life Membership in 1926. He also served on the Richmond Committee between 1927 and 1931. Born and bred in Richmond he died in 1974.

PB74's team
B: L.Cameron D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
HB: C.Newman W.Thursfield M.Gale
C: G.Bond M.Mitchell H.Rowe
HF: J.Northey B.Gale K.Lambert
F: E.Dunne M.Roach D.Butler
FOL: I.Maric B.Wilson D.Weightman
IC: B.Herbert J.Smith xx xx

richard parker back to you matey

With selection # 175, the PB74's select JIMMY SMITH
132 Games, 40 Goals, played between 1917-1926, 2 time premiership player

James was a champion half-back-flanker who was fearless in his desire to win the ball.

He was recruited from the Yarra Park school where he had been a fine all-round athlete. Tough and steady rather than flashy he read the play well.

He originally came to Richmond as a forward, however it didn't take him long to find his feet as a half-back and was one of the star performers during the club's first successful Finals era.

He was a member of the 1920 and 1921 Premiership sides and the 1919 Grand Final side. Playing in 11 Finals games for Richmond he was voted in the best three players - five times.

He was Richmond's best player in the 1924 Final against eventual Premiers Essendon and the 1919 Grand Final.

He spent a total of 10 seasons with Richmond and represented Victoria five times. James was awarded Life Membership in 1926. He also served on the Richmond Committee between 1927 and 1931. Born and bred in Richmond he died in 1974.

PB74's team
B: L.Cameron D.Gaspar N.Vlastuin
HB: C.Newman W.Thursfield M.Gale
C: G.Bond M.Mitchell H.Rowe
HF: J.Northey B.Gale K.Lambert
F: E.Dunne M.Roach D.Butler
FOL: I.Maric B.Wilson D.Weightman
IC: B.Herbert J.Smith xx xx

richard parker back to you matey
Think we all have a good 'un here... :thumbsu: :heart::thumbsu:

Pick 176
Pick 176 - Henry Colden Antill Harrison

1639528633725.png

I stumbled upon this pick during my own thorough research of the history of the game. I am not making this pick to appease any other big footy posters.

Harrison didn't play a lot of games for the Tigers but he was captain for Richmond, Melbourne and Geelong. Things were different back then and the records are sketchy anyway. It's a significant footy story and it is astounding - farcical even - that he is still on the board. Harrison is a member of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame for god's sake!

Like his cousin Tom Wills, Harrison is sometimes credited as being a "founding father" of the sport but there is not much actual evidence of his direct involvement in the creation of the game and it's initial rules in those first few years.

Don't be deceived by the button down fashion, this guy was an athletic beast! He was an exceptional sprinter and hurdler and "at 179cm and 80kg, he possessed a fine physique...superb fitness and was highly durable. His fearless approach to the ball, long kicking, and enthusiasm for running with the ball made him an exceptional player." -SAHOF

He was so fast in fact that - as a member of the bourgeoning rules of the game committee in the 1860s - he had to introduce the running bounce rule just to curtail his own dominance! The definition of sportsmanship and the exact opposite of moves made by Steve Hocking's rules of the game committee.

Harrison received special mention by the visiting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1920 in relation to this matter:

“I was delighted to meet Mr H. C. A. Harrison, who, I believe, is the father of the Australian game”, Sir Arthur concluded, “and I thought it was very sporting of him, as the fastest runner of his day, to introduce the bouncing rule, which robbed him of his advantage."

Not sure how the indigenous boys in my team or the Korin Gamadji Insititute will feel about this inclusion but it is a great opportunity for some meaningful reconciliation. He is described as a "man of his times" so discussions about Australian History would certainly be heated if they ever arose in the dressing room. His writings from the time do mention encounters with local Wurundjeri people and it is quite possible he saw them playing Marn Grook, but no direct credit is given.

Richard Parker's Team
B: Nathan Broad - Scott Turner - Martin Bolger
HB: Basil McCormack - Bill Cosgrove - Liam Baker
C: Henry Colden Harrison - Trent Cotchin - Allan Geddes
HF: Sydney Stack - Michael Pickering - Brett Deledio
F: Billy Brown - Jeff Hogg - Maurie Hunter
Fol: Toby Nankervis - Wayne Campbell - Shane Edwards
IC: N.Crowe - Peter "Whoosa" Welsh - XX - XX

As a non-football aside, this fantastic podcast episode may be interesting to some. It is the story of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's friendship and then feud with the escape artist, illusionist and stunt performer Harry Houdini. They were both greatly interested in "spiritualism" but their relationship with it began to diverge dramatically. Doyle's position is quite surprising considering he is the creator of one of the great rational thinking characters in fiction.

Barunga Bullet is on the clock

Last edited:
Alexander "Alec" James Edmond
Date of Birth: 1878
Death: 8 January, 1950., aged 72

Honours
1902 Premiership Captain
1905 Premiership Captain
1908 Richmond Life Member
2007 Hall of Fame
RFC Committee 1901-1902, 1912

Biography:
Edmond played 126 games for Richmond in the VFA from 1899 -1907 and kicked 20 goals.
He was a dual Premiership captain, a rare feat equalled by Dan Minogue (1920/21), Percy Bentley (1932/34), Royce Hart (1973/74), and surpassed by Trent Cotchin (2017/19/20)
Edmond led Richmond in 101 games - a club record that lasted for 30 years until Percy Bentley in 1937.

During his captaincy tenure at Tigerland, Richmond finished the Home and Away ladder as followed:
1901 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. No Grand Final was held that year.
1902 Season - 1st player on H+A ladder. Premiers for finishing on top. No Grand Final was held.
1903 Season - 1st place on H+A ladder, but lost Grand Final to North Melbourne.
1904 Season - 1st place on H+A ladder, but forfeited the Grand Final against North Melbourne.
1905 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. Premiers, defeated North Melbourne in Grand Final.
1906 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. Lost in the Semi Final to Footscray.
1907 Season - 2nd place on H+A ladder. Lost in the Semi Final to West Melbourne.

Three particular seasons are worth noting.
In 1902, Richmond won 15 games and lost only 1.
In 1903, under his captaincy, Richmond won 15 consecutive matches between Rd 3 and Rd 17. It is an achievement not yet surpassed in our seniors history.
In the 1904 season, Richmond forfeited playing the 1904 Grand Final due to the umpire who was appointed to the match.

His brother Bruce played for Richmond in 1904, and another brother Jack played in 1900.
Alec died in 1950, The Age newspaper called him "a star for Richmond."
In 2007 he was posthumously inducted into the Richmond Football Club Hall of Fame.

peterbuch74
So our hatred of umpires goes back to 1904 .

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 177
Pick 176 - John "Jack" Hutchinson
Games - 70
Goals - 207
Years - 1904 - 1907 (VFA)
Premiership - 1905 (1 more at another club)
VFA Leading Goalkicker - 1906, 1907 (3 more times at other clubs)

He played his first two seasons for the Port Melbourne Football Club then crossed to the Richmond Football Club in 1903 and played there until they left VFA at the end of the 1907 season. He then had two seasons for the Footscray Football Club and ended his career back at Port.

A talented full forward, he was the VFA's leading goalkicker for five out of eight seasons from 1901 to 1908. In 1905 he missed several matches due to injury, however, he still managed to kick 41 goals for the Tigers (only seven short of the season's leader) and play in the Richmond premiership side. He also played in Footscray's 1908 premiership.

Hutchinson's 260 goals kicked over his five seasons at Richmond was the most of any player during the club's time in the VFA. In his last season at Richmond he kicked 67 goals, at the time an individual season record for the Association. He improved on this mark by one goal in the next season, his first at Footscray. By the end of his final season he had become the first player in the VFA to kick over 500 career goals. In 1908, he kicked sixteen goals in a match against North Melbourne, which was at the time a VFA record for a player in a match.[1]

Barunga Bullets Team
B: M. Malthouse -T. Chaplin - K. O'Neill
HB: J. Bowden - J. Jess - K. Morris
C: D. Clay - I. Stewart - G. Tivendale
HF: N. Daffy - M. Richardson - P. Egan
F: J. Hutchinson - T. Lynch - J. O'Rourke
FOL: G. Dear- N. Foley - J. Annear
IC: J. Caddy - B. Holland - xx - xx

Tiger_Of_Old

Last edited:

View attachment 1297747

I stumbled upon this pick during my own thorough research of the history of the game. I am not making this pick to appease any other big footy posters.

Harrison didn't play a lot of games for the Tigers but he was captain for Richmond, Melbourne and Geelong. Things were different back then and the records are sketchy anyway. It's a significant footy story and it is astounding - farcical even - that he is still on the board. Harrison is a member of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame for god's sake!

Like his cousin Tom Wills, Harrison is sometimes credited as being a "founding father" of the sport but there is not much actual evidence of his direct involvement in the creation of the game and it's initial rules in those first few years.

Don't be deceived by the button down fashion, this guy was an athletic beast! He was an exceptional sprinter and hurdler and "at 179cm and 80kg, he possessed a fine physique...superb fitness and was highly durable. His fearless approach to the ball, long kicking, and enthusiasm for running with the ball made him an exceptional player." -SAHOF

He was so fast in fact that - as a member of the bourgeoning rules of the game committee in the 1860s - he had to introduce the running bounce rule just to curtail his own dominance! The definition of sportsmanship and the exact opposite of moves made by Steve Hocking's rules of the game committee.

Harrison received special mention by the visiting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1921 in relation to this matter:

“I was delighted to meet Mr H. C. A. Harrison, who, I believe, is the father of the Australian game”, Sir Arthur concluded, “and I thought it was very sporting of him, as the fastest runner of his day, to introduce the bouncing rule, which robbed him of his advantage."

Not sure how the indigenous boys in my team or the Korin Gamadji Insititute will feel about this inclusion but it is a great opportunity for some meaningful reconciliation. He is described as a "man of his times" so discussions about Australian History would certainly be heated if they ever arose in the dressing room. His writings from the time do mention encounters with local Wurundjeri people and it is quite possible he saw them playing Marn Grook, but no direct credit is given.

Richard Parker's Team
B: Nathan Broad | Scott Turner | Martin Bolger
HB: Basil McCormack | Bill Cosgrove | Liam Baker
C: Henry Colden Harrison | Trent Cotchin | Allan Geddes
HF: Sydney Stack | Michael Pickering | Brett Deledio
F: Billy Brown | Jeff Hogg | Maurie Hunter
Fol: Toby Nankervis | Wayne Campbell | Shane Edwards
IC: N.Crowe | Peter Walsh | XX | XX

As a non-football aside, this fantastic podcast episode may be interesting to some. It is the story of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's friendship and then feud with the escape artist, illusionist and stunt performer Harry Houdini. They were both greatly interested in "spiritualism" but their relationship with it began to diverge dramatically. Doyle's position is quite surprising considering he is the creator of one of the great rational thinking characters in fiction.

Oh, man! You stole my guy! I thought I had him hidden away perfectly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1297747

Harrison received special mention by the visiting Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1921 in relation to this matter:

Richard Parker's Team
B: Nathan Broad - Scott Turner - Martin Bolger
HB: Basil McCormack - Bill Cosgrove - Liam Baker
C: Henry Colden Harrison - Trent Cotchin - Allan Geddes
HF: Sydney Stack - Michael Pickering - Brett Deledio
F: Billy Brown - Jeff Hogg - Maurie Hunter
Fol: Toby Nankervis - Wayne Campbell - Shane Edwards
IC: N.Crowe - Peter "Whoosa" Welsh - XX - XX

Your post did him justice Richard, well done. 😁

How on earth this legend slipped to you at pick 176 is beyond my comprehension. It would probably be like picking John, Luke, Matthew and all the other other disciples amongst about 150 every day followers and a dozen or so assorted heathens ahead of Jesus in the all time great Christians line-up.

I didn’t want to make a mountain out of an Antill 😎 but something had to be said to shake this thread out of its lethargy. 😂

Last edited:
Your post did him justice Richard, well done. 😁

How on earth this legend slipped to you at pick 176 is beyond my comprehension. It would probably be like picking John, Luke, Matthew and all the other other disciples amongst about 150 every day followers and a dozen or so assorted heathens ahead of Jesus in the all time great Christians line-up.

I didn’t want to make a mountain out of an Antill 😎 but something had to be said to shake this thread out of its lethargy. 😂

I'd reckon it was due to the fact that most of us we're only considering players who'd played for Richmond in the VFL/AFL era.

Also, considering Henry Colden Antill Harrison didn't play in the "Yellow & Black" as spelt out in the OP, I reckon he may not even qualify for this haha
Richmond wore Blue & Yellow up until 1886!

I'd reckon it was due to the fact that most of us we're only considering players who'd played for Richmond in the VFL/AFL era.

Also, considering Henry Colden Antill Harrison didn't play in the "Yellow & Black" as spelt out in the OP, I reckon he may not even qualify for this haha
Richmond wore Blue & Yellow up until 1886!

You have picked up on his one weakness as a draft prospect pb, that he didn’t actually play for the current Richmond FC. However he Captained the only Richmond FC available for him to play with at the time, so that is good enough for me.

It is amazing how he left an indelible mark in his own image on the Richmond FC as we know it, fast, tough, skilful, smart, noble, honourable, fair and thoroughly decent in every respect. Yet when he tried to spread the gospel to Melbourne FC and Geelong FC the same thing did not occur….😁

Oh, man! You stole my guy! I thought I had him hidden away perfectly!
Interesting though picking a guy who retired in 1872 for a club that was founded in 1885.
Was going to pick him, missed out, states it’s interesting picking a guy that retired before formation of club. You only had 20 chances to nab him too 🤣🥴

Round 1
1. Wacky Tiger - Dustin Martin
2. richoatthedisco - Royce Hart
3. Tiger_Of_Old - Kevin Bartlett
4. Barunga Bullet - Matthew Richardson
5. richard parker - Trent Cotchin
6. peterbuch74 - Dale Weightman
7. _RT_ - Jack Dyer
8. Phar Ace - Jack Titus
9. tiger_tough - Jack Riewoldt

Round 2

10. tiger_tough - Alex Rance
11. Phar Ace - Maurice Rioli
12. _RT_ - Francis Bourke
13. peterbuch74 - Michael Roach
14. richard parker - Shane Edwards
15. Barunga Bullet - Ian Stewart
16. Tiger_Of_Old - Nathan Brown
17. richoatthedisco - Bill Barrot
18. Wacky Tiger - Dylan Grimes

Round 3
19. Wacky Tiger - Roy Wright
20. richoatthedisco - Vic Thorp
21. Tiger Of Old - Matthew Knights
22. Barunga Bullet - Dick Clay
23. Richard Parker - Wayne Campbell
24. Peter Buch 74 - Darren Gaspar
25. RT - Dick Harris
26. Phar Ace - Michael Green
27. Tiger Tough - Geoff Raines

Round 4
28. Tiger Tough - Kevin Sheedy
29. Phar Ace - Roger Dean
30. RT - Ron Branton
31. Peter Buch 74 - Nick Vlastuin
32. Richard Parker - Brett Deledio
33. Barunga Bullet - Jim Jess
34. Tiger Of Old - Mark Lee
35. richoatthedisco - Bryan Wood
36. Wacky Tiger - Neil Balme

Round 5
37. Wacky Tiger - Barry Richardson
38. richoatthedisco - Robert Wiley
39. Tiger Of Old - Noah Balta
40. Barunga Bullet - Joel Bowden
41. Richard Parker - Jeff Hogg
42. Peter Buch 74 - Chris Newman
43. RT - Mervyn Keane
44. Phar Ace - Fred Swift
45. Tiger Tough - David Cloke

Round 6
46. Tiger Tough - Barry Rowlings
47. Phar Ace - Tony Free
48. RT - Bill Morris
49. Peter Buch 74 - Brendon Gale
50. Richard Parker - Scott Turner
51. Barunga Bullet - Tom Lynch
52. Tiger Of Old - Paul Broderick
53. richoatthedisco - Bachar Houli
54. Wacky Tiger - Gordon Strang

Round 7
55. Wacky Tiger - Doug Strang
56. richoatthedisco - Dion Prestia
57. Tiger Of Old - Michael Perry
58. Barunga Bullet - Michael Malthouse
59. Richard Parker - Toby Nankervis
60. Peter Buch 74 - Ivan Maric
61. RT - Brad Ottens
62. Phar Ace - David Astbury
63. Tiger Tough - Shane Tuck

Round 8
64. Tiger Tough - Andrew Kellaway
65. Phar Ace - Paddy Guinane
66. RT - Brian Taylor
67. Peter Buch 74 - Kane Lambert
68. Richard Parker - Neville Crowe
69. Barunga Bullet - Nathan Foley
70. Tiger Of Old - Shai Bolton
71. richoatthedisco - Ray Poulter
72. Wacky Tiger - Kane Johnson

Round 9
73. Wacky Tiger - Craig Lambert
74. richoatthedisco - Perce Bentley
75. Tiger Of Old - Ben Cousins
76. Barunga Bullet - Ben Holland
77. Richard Parker - Basil McCormack
78. Peter Buch 74 - Michael Mitchell
79. RT - Mark Coughlan
80. Phar Ace - Des Rowe
81. Tiger Tough - Bruce Monteath

Round 10
82. Tiger Tough - Mike Patterson
83. Phar Ace - Stuey Maxfield
84. RT - Robbie 'Bones' McGhie
85. Peter Buch 74 - John Northey
86. Richard Parker - Michael Pickering
87. Barunga Bullet - Nick Daffy
88. Tiger Of Old - Greg Strachan
89. richoatthedisco - Stan Judkins
90. Wacky Tiger - Jayden Short

Round 11
91. Wacky Tiger - Rex Hunt
92. richoatthedisco - Mopsy Fraser Jr
93. Tiger Of Old - Max Oppy
94. Barunga Bullet - Kevin Morris
95. Richard Parker - Billy Brown
96. Peter Buch 74 - Leon Cameron
97. RT - Mark Chaffey
98. Phar Ace - Ricky McLean
99. Tiger Tough - Wayne Walsh

Round 12
100. Tiger Tough - Andrew Krakouer
101. Phar Ace - Leo Merrett
102. RT - Chris Naish
103. Peter Buch 74 - Michael Gale
104. Richard Parker - Sydney Stack
105. Barunga Bullet - Jack O'Rourke
106. Tiger Of Old - Brian Roberts
107. richoatthedisco - Paul Sproule
108. Wacky Tiger - Brandon Ellis

Round 13
109. Wacky Tiger - Jack Graham
110. richoatthedisco - Jack Baggott
111. Tiger Of Old - Kamdyn McIntosh
112. Barunga Bullet - Phil Egan
113. Richard Parker - Alan Geddes
114. Peter Buch 74 - Bill Wilson
115. RT - Arthur 'Joe' Murdoch
116. Phar Ace - Graham Burgin
117. Tiger Tough - Duncan Kellaway

Round 14
118. Tiger Tough - Daniel Jackson
119. Phar Ace - Dan Minogue
120. RT - Maurie Sheahan
121. Peter Buch 74 - Havel Rowe
122. Richard Parker - Nathan Broad
123. Barunga Bullet - Kevin O'Neill
124. Tiger Of Old - Chris Bond
125. richoatthedisco - Mark Merenda
126. Wacky Tiger - Shaun Grigg

Round 15
127. Wacky Tiger - Matty Rogers
128. richoatthedisco - Trevor Poole
129. Tiger Of Old - Terry Smith
130. Barunga Bullet - Greg Tivendale
131. Richard Parker - Martin Bolger
132. Peter Buch 74 - Graeme Bond
133. RT - Hughie James
134. Phar Ace - Eric Zschech
135. Tiger Tough - Donald Don

Round 16
136. Tiger Tough - Daniel Rioli
137. Phar Ace - John 'Ray' Martin
138. RT - Clarrie Hall
139. Peter Buch 74 - Emmett Dunne
140. Richard Parker - Liam Baker
141. Barunga Bullet - John Annear
142. Tiger Of Old - Laurie Fowler
143. richoatthedisco - George Smeaton
144. Wacky Tiger - Jamie Tape

Round 17
145. Wacky Tiger - Ted Langridge
146. richoatthedisco - Greg Stafford
147. Tiger Of Old - John Ronaldson
148. Barunga Bullet - Troy Chaplin
149. Richard Parker - Bill Cosgrove
150. Peter Buch 74 - Will Thursfield
151. RT - Alan 'BULL' Richardson
152. Phar Ace - Neville Roberts
153. Tiger Tough - Jake King

Round 18
154. Tiger Tough - Jason Torney
155. Phar Ace - Bob Bawden
156. RT - Andrew 'Max' Hislop
157. Peter Buch 74 - Daniel Butler
158. Richard Parker - Peter Welsh
159. Barunga Bullet - Josh Caddy
160. Tiger Of Old - Marlion Pickett
161. richoatthedisco - Robert Lamb
162. Wacky Tiger - Tom Hafey

Round 19
163. Wacky Tiger - Jason Castagna
164. richoatthedisco - Geoff Strang
165. Tiger Of Old - Tyrone Vickery
166. Barunga Bullet - Greg Dear
167. Richard Parker - Maurie Hunter
168. Peter Buch 74 - Barney Herbert
169. RT - Charles Backhouse
170. Phar Ace - George Bayliss
171. Tiger Tough - Frank 'Checker' Hughes

Round 20
172. Tiger Tough - Thomas O'Halloran
173. Phar Ace - Ron Durham
174. RT - Alec Edmond
175. Peter Buch 74 - Jimmy Smith
176. Richard Parker - Henry Colden Antill Harrison
177. Barunga Bullet - John 'Jack' Hutchinson
178. Tiger Of Old - Bruce Tempany
179. richoatthedisco - Fred Burge
180. Wacky Tiger

Round 21
181. Wacky Tiger
182. richoatthedisco
183. Tiger Of Old
184. Barunga Bullet
185. Richard Parker
186. Peter Buch 74
187. RT
188. Phar Ace
189. Tiger Tough

Round 22
190. Tiger Tough
191. Phar Ace
192. RT
193. Peter Buch 74
194. Richard Parker
195. Barunga Bullet
196. Tiger Of Old
197. richoatthedisco -
198. Wacky Tiger

Last edited:
Pick 178
Bruce Tempany.
1639635642516.png

Date of Birth:
22/12/1956
Height: 189 cm ( 6-2 1/2 )
Weight: 85 kg ( 13-5 )
Guernsey: 14
Debut: 27/08/1977, Round 22, St Kilda
Last Game: 27/08/1983, Round 22, Fitzroy

RICHMOND SENIORS
Seasons:
1977-83
Total Games: 87
Total Goals: 33

Honours: Victorian Representative Team 1980 Games 1 Goals 0.

Bruce was a lightly-built utility player with outstanding natural talent. He worked his way up through Essex Heights Juniors to Richmond Thirds in 1975. He was a member of the Thirds Premiership side in 1975. Injury then hindered his progress, and became the bane of his VFL career. He missed playing in the 1977 Reserves Premiership side after injuring his collarbone and in 1980 he missed the Seniors Premiership side through an achilles injury suffered in the second semi-final. In 1982 he was injured during the Grand Final after being crashed into by a Carlton opponent. Bruce also had to content with asthma during his career. Bruce had a good football brain, moved well and was a magnificent long kick. He could play almost anywhere and proved to be a most versatile and adaptable player. He represented Victoria once in 1980. His highest individual goal tally was 5 against Footscray in Round 8 of 1979. In 1986 he moved to Doncaster as playing-coach. Whilst there he won the League's Goal kicking award once, as well as coaching the Eastern Districts League combined side. In local football he played at either full-forward or full-back. Bruce now works in the banking industry and lives in Box Hill. His father Graham, played with Richmond Reserves and VFA side Camberwell during the 1950's.

richoatthedisco

Pick 179
Fred Burge

1639638201501.png

Fred Burge was a nippy and skilful rover who was particularly dangerous near goal. He joined Richmond from Castlemaine and gave the Tigers good service in 118 VFL games between 1942 and 1950. During that time he kicked 105 goals, with 55 of them - enough to top the club's list - coming in the 1945 season. Burge was a member of Richmond's losing Grand Final team against Fitzroy in 1944.

In his first 15 games for Richmond, Burge played in 5 finals matches, including 2 losing grand finals (1942 and 1944). Living up in Castlemaine, he never trained with Richmond until the 1946 and 1950 season, only coming to Melbourne on match day and returning home that night.

He originally trained with Footscray at the start of 1942 as an 18 yr old, even playing in a practice match opposite Ambrose Palmer and Norm Ware. Footscray suggested he return home, but to sign a Form Four before he left. Burge refused.

In 1942, Castlemaine had disbanded due to the war and Burge was without a team. During the middle of that season, Richmond had coaxed Ray Alexander and Bert Harper both from Castlemaine to train/play with Richmond Seconds. Those two suggested to Maurie Fleming that Burge should get a trial with the Reserves. The club did so and he ended playing up to 8 Reserve games that year including kicking 5 goals in Rd 11, and playing in the first final.
He made his senior debut that same season as 19th man against Footscray, and he impressed in his second game of League football against Collingwood.
Hi 5th and 6th career games were the Semi Final and Grand Finals of 1942, meaning he played in both the final series for the Seniors and Reserves in his debut season.

Burge was working as an apprentice fitter and turner at the time, working 12 hour shifts, and had to work night shift on Fridays from 6pm til 2am on Saturday morning, then ride his bike to his aunt's house to sleep. On Saturday morning he would ride his bike to Castlemaine station, catch the 7.40am train and arrive in Melbourne around 10am at Spencer Street where Maurice Fleming would collect him in his coupe-Ford. After the game he would be driven back off to the station and he'd return home to Castlemaine on the 6pm train. The club gave him 12/6 for expenses and increased it to 15/0 after Ray Bower asked for more to cover dinner expenses.

In the 1942 losing Grand Final, Burge suffered a torn hip muscle in the first 10 minutes of the game, received a shot from Dr. Grogan that failed to dull the pain, and left the field in the first quarter.

His 1943 season was interrupted by tonsillitis and chicken pox and he only played the first three games of the season.

In 1944 he returned to Castlemaine and played a handful of games before returning to Richmond.

By 1945, the Sporting Globe praised his roving combination with ruckman Bill Morris, and his goal-sense and courage. That same year he participated in the North of the Yarra vs South of the Yarra charity match at Punt Road for the Royal Institute of the Blind. His opponents that day were Richards, Pannam, Findlay and Ruthven, and he was praised as one of the best rover-forwards in the game.

Burge was a consistent player and dangerous near goal, who began his career as a ruck rover, until Max Oppy was moved into that role and Burge moved to back pocket for the last 5 years of his career.

He was voted Richmond’s best player in 1944 semi-final loss to Fitzroy. He won the club Goalkicking award in 1945 as well as finishing third in the Best and Fairest award where he received a toaster. For his performance in the 1947 semi final he jointly won a bag of sugar (there was a sugar ration at the time in Victoria), and a 3/3 trophy. In the 1948 Best and Fairest he finished 4th. His highest individual goal tally was 7 against St.Kilda in Round 8 of 1945 and he kicked 5 goals or more on six occasions.

In 1951 he did his knee in a practice march in April, and in 1952, with his pace diminished, he only played Reserve games. He was awarded Life Membership in 1951.

1639638376250.png

Wacky Tiger

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions All Time Draft - Vote For The Best Team

Back