Opinion All time favourite players not in the regular 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heath Scotland count?

He was always just on the outer back in the early 2000s.

A smooth mover, but just found it hard to break into the GF squad.

Moved to Carlton and had a great career.

Yes he definitely counts. Ironically he was pretty much a regular when he decided he wanted to change clubs and go to Port, but he’d made his mind up by then. Of course he never made it to Port because they wanted Didak Prestigiacomo and Bucks firstborn for Nick Stevens, who ended up playing with him at Carlton. Bullets dodged all round although it would have been good to retain Scotland…. He wanted to get away from Malthouse. More irony there too😀

We all have those players that we love that just can’t make it into the main side on a regular basis or had a very short career for unknown reasons.

The top of my list is Rupert Betheras (spelling???) Loved watching him play but just couldn’t keep the good play going long enough to be a regular.
In this same timeframe was Ryan Lonie. Was definitely in and out of favour even had scapegoat status at one point.

Not on my list but I’m guessing more recently people will say Sier. I don’t see it but that’s what great about these players what others don’t see others absolutely love.

I’ve got a number that come to mind straight away from the not so distant past but I’ll let you have a go….

I met Rupe a few times. He was a nice guy.

I'm well known as a Broomhead fan from recent years -- reckon in 2020 he should have been given a chance on the ball, where he was suited. He was racking up the possessions in the 2nds.

Heath Scotland was another who wasn't given the opportunity that he deserved -- I had a massive soft spot for him too.

Kyle Martin came to my mind as well.

Patrick Karnezis I thought had huge potential, was just never developed.

Jack “sarge” Anthony was a head case. But he looms large in my mind in this conversation.
80 goals in 43 games including the sealer against Adelaide in the 2009 prelim.
How he didn’t play a significant role in 2010 is amazing.

Jack Anthony -- good call!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy is not a Pie…. However, if you look at David Schwarz highlights BEFORE he did his first knee, he was a freak. He was right up there with Carey. Schwarz had to go and change his game and he stacked on heaps of muscle and weight. Schwarz came back half the player he originally was.
Even moreso Alistair Lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back