Opinion All time favourite players not in the regular 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of mine have already been listed.

I had a soft spot for Josh Smith. Not so much based on ability but his story and personality.

Child care worker from Queensland, picked as a mature ager and seemed like such a nice, unaffected kid.

Had a career high 35 possessions one day.

Went to the Eagles and played a couple of games and from what I can see he's still in Perth, playing the odd game for PFC. I hope life is treating him well.

Brett “Beefy” James.
He played in the midfield for the reserves and then in the forward pocket when played seniors.
Never got a real go at Collingwood.
He went to the Crows and played in 2 Premierships.
Great call, loved him from the start.
I vaguely remember his first preseason he was moved to the midfield in a practice game in the last qtr.
It was a match winning move.

Great thread
For me, its Rupe and Brad Dick
But I also remember linking Troy Lehmann and Kent Butcher at the time

Hard to play 1's for the Pies when you stay at Norwood for the first year
Scotty Burns did too. Those two played in a SANFL grand final whilst on the Pies list. It used to be quite common. Players didn't have to nominate, so sometimes they were drafted without any intention of playing AFL for a while. Plus draft age was 17, so they were often still at school. Interstate kids would often finish school before moving.

Last edited:
Not a favourite so to speak but always rated Lachie keefe should of been retained..

Big unit and solid full back.

After keeping him after drug suspension not much patience was shown

Go's to the mentality of the club at the time, they kept his "partner in crime"

because it was midfielders, midfielders, midfielders not kp's players

Scotty Burns did too. Those two played in a SANFL grand final whilst on the Pies list. It used to be quite common. Players didn't have to nominate, so sometimes they were drafted without any intention of playing AFL for a while. Plus draft age was 17, so they were often still at school. Interstate kids would often finish school before moving.

Really good point, stark reminder how hard is what for interstate draftees and recruits back then as well.

For those that can go back that far, Stephen Clifford was one of my early favourites. He debuted with us as a 16 year old, won the Gardiner Medal as B&F in the reserves in his second year, but could never claim a permanent spot in the seniors. After 5 seasons with us, he moved to Port Adelaide -where he played in 3 Premiership sides and won their B&F 3 times.

For those that can go back that far, Stephen Clifford was one of my early favourites. He debuted with us as a 16 year old, won the Gardiner Medal as B&F in the reserves in his second year, but could never claim a permanent spot in the seniors. After 5 seasons with us, he moved to Port Adelaide -where he played in 3 Premiership sides and won their B&F 3 times.

Clifford took a sensational mark in the seconds one day out at Viccy Park. It was as close as I've seen to that classic "Ron Todd" hanger on the footy cards. Down in the Victoria Falls end (right forward pocket). He went back and kicked the goal as well and I thought to myself "we've got one here" but sadly he never really got a go. With the Richardsons, Price, Greening, Tully and Britt ahead of him...I spose it was a bit of an ask.

I second athos, can't remember why he didn't make it but he sure made it in Metro footy, kicking lots of goals for a team in the northern suburbs

Hrysoulakis would have made a great 70s footballer. The commitment required to be a full-time professional athlete was too much for him.

Went back to taking speckies and enjoying weekend drinks in the northern suburbs league. :)

Last edited:
I was young and stupid but always thought Brad Plain was the next Daicos.

I liked Plain... we got him from Essendon if I remember. Skilled player.

Had a low centre of gravity like Daics, but that's about where the similarities end unfrtunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Russell Johnson was a skinny giant of a man (his old fella had its own heart and lungs according to Ronnie Wearmouth) but couldn’t push Peter Moore out of the seniors obviously. Like Steven Clifford enjoyed a stellar career at Port Adelaide.

Lee Walker
Tom Davidson
Kyle Martin
Caolan Mooney
Craig Jacotine
James Wasley

Mark McGough I'll never forget his ANZAC game in the pouring rain for an 18 year old to put out that performance and then for it all to just turn to dust was puzzling.

Does it make you even more puzzled to know that he was only 17...

He was delisted when he had just turned 20... and had polled 12 Brownlow votes in his first three seasons. Struggled at Stkilda but that's no surprise, they had Harvey, Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Thompson, Powell, Goddard ahead of him as midfielders...

For all the talk about how good a coach Malthouse was its clear he was drinking his own bathwater long before he got to Carlton...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back