All Time Great State Cricket Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Under the RL origin rules? Max Walker for sure.

Cox (c)
Hills
Boon
Ponting
Wade
Young
Paine (w)
Butterworth
Saunders (spin options are really bad, even by the standards of the rest of this team)
Walker
Hilfenhaus

12th di Venuto
Squad : Buckingham, Woolley, Campbell, Griffith, Doherty

Doherty played test cricket, and he played a hell of a lot of white ball cricket for Australia. I think he's a bit underrated.

The articles don't seem to actually explain the State of Origin rules... am I assuming that's why we've ruled out Damien Wright?

Greg Campbell I'd nearly have in this team, even ahead of Butterworth, he's another that played for Australia.

Doolan would need to be in the squad ahead of Buckingham I think, and it'd save your food bill too. We're already battling with Boonie, Wade and Shaun Young. I might have Faulkner ahead of Young too - a much better bowler, and not far off as a batter. Fun little bit of trivia that, with respect to both of them, they were both accidental test cricketers - against the same opponent, at the very same ground.

Doherty played test cricket, and he played a hell of a lot of white ball cricket for Australia. I think he's a bit underrated.

The articles don't seem to actually explain the State of Origin rules... am I assuming that's why we've ruled out Damien Wright?

Greg Campbell I'd nearly have in this team, even ahead of Butterworth, he's another that played for Australia.

Doolan would need to be in the squad ahead of Buckingham I think, and it'd save your food bill too. We're already battling with Boonie, Wade and Shaun Young. I might have Faulkner ahead of Young too - a much better bowler, and not far off as a batter. Fun little bit of trivia that, with respect to both of them, they were both accidental test cricketers - against the same opponent, at the very same ground.
Based on rugby league state of origin criteria see below

Just through timing and luck, some who didn't play for Australia were probably better than some who did.

Doolan and Bailey are both reasonable choices for the spot, and Doolan did slip my mind. I still see Buckingham as the more reliable option. His record probably would have been better had he played full time his whole career, and in a team that wasn't getting thumped so regularly. Being 3-for naff-all half his career would not have helped. Or maybe I just remember wrong.

I wasn't really considering white ball, and Saunders was the more attacking option over Doherty. Either is a poor choice, and I'm almost certainly forgetting a few but Tas has relied almost exclusively on imported spinners (or no frontline spinner at all) pretty much exclusively. 50 over, Doherty all the way. I do think in that format he is under-rated by many, solid holding type bowler.

Faulkner had two, or was it three, years of being a good - even very good - First Class bowler, when Bellerive was at its greenest. And then ruined for FC cricket by his over-reliance on the slower ball stemming from success in white ball cricket that he took the FC arena and started using it as almost his only trick in long form where its not so useful.
I rate Young's Shield time considerably higher with both bat and ball. A bit like Wade's second selection, he was picked for Australia at basically the lowest form point of his career. (As you can probably tell from the inclusion of Woolley, Wade is going nowhere near the keeping gloves even if Paine is injured.)

Damien Wright I admit to forgetting about, but would be NSW qualified under any set of origin rules, though I must admit I don't know what the RL rules are. Presumed origin is why I excluded Laurie Nash (probably qualifies as Victorian, certainly does if Australian Football's final SoO rules were used).

Just through timing and luck, some who didn't play for Australia were probably better than some who did.

Doolan and Bailey are both reasonable choices for the spot, and Doolan did slip my mind. I still see Buckingham as the more reliable option. His record probably would have been better had he played full time his whole career, and in a team that wasn't getting thumped so regularly. Being 3-for naff-all half his career would not have helped. Or maybe I just remember wrong.

I wasn't really considering white ball, and Saunders was the more attacking option over Doherty. Either is a poor choice, and I'm almost certainly forgetting a few but Tas has relied almost exclusively on imported spinners (or no frontline spinner at all) pretty much exclusively. 50 over, Doherty all the way. I do think in that format he is under-rated by many, solid holding type bowler.

Faulkner had two, or was it three, years of being a good - even very good - First Class bowler, when Bellerive was at its greenest. And then ruined for FC cricket by his over-reliance on the slower ball stemming from success in white ball cricket that he took the FC arena and started using it as almost his only trick in long form where its not so useful.
I rate Young's Shield time considerably higher with both bat and ball. A bit like Wade's second selection, he was picked for Australia at basically the lowest form point of his career. (As you can probably tell from the inclusion of Woolley, Wade is going nowhere near the keeping gloves even if Paine is injured.)

Damien Wright I admit to forgetting about, but would be NSW qualified under any set of origin rules, though I must admit I don't know what the RL rules are. Presumed origin is why I excluded Laurie Nash (probably qualifies as Victorian, certainly does if Australian Football's final SoO rules were used).

And I forgot about Bailey... Or I blocked him out after what happened the one time I played against him as a junior...

We're circling the same conclusion - that if this were a real team that were going to play a full season, you'd doctor one of those proper Bellerive green tops that doesn't flatten out til day 4, that never really brings the spinners into the game, and you'd just play 4 quicks.

I always thought Faulkner could've and should've played more test cricket for Australia, especially in that era when we were turning over every stone looking for an allrounder. But he wasn't a good enough batter to bat 6, the selectors didn't think he was a good enough bowler to be frontline (which I disagreed with), and they weren't prepared to move things around to fit him in at 7.

Again, if you were playing an actual season, there's all sorts of flexibility in that middle order, cos you could bat Paine at 6, Faulkner at 7, and Butterworth at 8. If we're playing all quicks, Faulkner is the best left arm option I can think of, which probably gets him a spot in a "real" team.

Which squeezes out Young, who admittedly I was probably 2-3 years to young to really experience the best of.

So if we're leaving out Wright:

Cox
Hills/Di Venuto
Boon
Ponting
Wade
Paine/Bailey/Young
Paine/Faulkner
Faulkner/Butterworth
Walker
Campbell
Hilfenhaus

You might struggle to get through your overs in time, but they'd be dangerous at Bellerive, and it'd be a fun team to watch.

They'd likely finish bottom against all the other state best ofs, but I don't think they'd get wrecked, and they wouldn't go 0 & 10 for the season.

Tasmania team now

And I forgot about Bailey... Or I blocked him out after what happened the one time I played against him as a junior...

We're circling the same conclusion - that if this were a real team that were going to play a full season, you'd doctor one of those proper Bellerive green tops that doesn't flatten out til day 4, that never really brings the spinners into the game, and you'd just play 4 quicks.

I always thought Faulkner could've and should've played more test cricket for Australia, especially in that era when we were turning over every stone looking for an allrounder. But he wasn't a good enough batter to bat 6, the selectors didn't think he was a good enough bowler to be frontline (which I disagreed with), and they weren't prepared to move things around to fit him in at 7.

Again, if you were playing an actual season, there's all sorts of flexibility in that middle order, cos you could bat Paine at 6, Faulkner at 7, and Butterworth at 8. If we're playing all quicks, Faulkner is the best left arm option I can think of, which probably gets him a spot in a "real" team.

Which squeezes out Young, who admittedly I was probably 2-3 years to young to really experience the best of.

So if we're leaving out Wright:

Cox
Hills/Di Venuto
Boon
Ponting
Wade
Paine/Bailey/Young
Paine/Faulkner
Faulkner/Butterworth
Walker
Campbell
Hilfenhaus

You might struggle to get through your overs in time, but they'd be dangerous at Bellerive, and it'd be a fun team to watch.

They'd likely finish bottom against all the other state best ofs, but I don't think they'd get wrecked, and they wouldn't go 0 & 10 for the season.
Tasmania team

Remove this Banner Ad

All Time Great State Cricket Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back