AFLW Player Ally Anderson (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Humble Lion reflects on 'uncomfortable' title ahead of unmatched milestone

ALMOST a year after being crowned the League's best and fairest player, the accolade still does not sit comfortably with Ally Anderson.

The Brisbane midfielder shocked the AFLW world when she stormed to victory to win the season seven gong ahead of star duo Mon Conti and Ebony Marinoff.

Now, as an even better player in season eight, the 29-year-old still winces when the achievement is mentioned.

"I definitely don't feel that way," Anderson said on Wednesday when asked if she views herself as one of the competition's best players.

"It does make me feel a bit uncomfortable, the title, but I've also got to embrace it and really ride the wave and enjoy every moment.

"It's definitely an honour and a privilege to be named that, but at the end of the day it's not why I play footy.

"I play for my teammates, and I play because I enjoy it too."

Anderson will become the League's first player to reach the 75-game mark on Saturday when the Lions play St Kilda, with Marinoff and former midfield mate Emily Bates to join her later in the round.

In reaching the milestone, Anderson will become the second Brisbane woman to be named a life member, behind 2021 premiership captain Emma Zielke.

For context, the mark for men to gain life membership is 150 games, but with AFLW's shorter seasons, the Lions have settled on 75.

Anderson said she had come a long way from the person who told coach Craig Starcevich not to draft her because she'd be out of shape after a 2017 overseas holiday that took up much of the Lions' first ever pre-season.

"Thinking back seven years ago I never would have thought I'd get to this position," she said.

"I've come a long way. It's so exciting that I get the honour of getting the life membership.

"I'm an extremely competitive person and always wanting to get the best out of myself. I feel being in this program has helped me develop that."

After averaging just seven disposals a game in season one, Anderson has improved as both an athlete and footballer each year.

Her award-winning 2022 came on the back of averaging 21.4 disposals a game, which has skyrocketed to 27.8 a game this season.

She said her own improvement throughout the season was being mirrored by her teammates, who are fresh off defeating previously unbeaten Adelaide at the weekend.

"It was really good for our self-belief as a group and very exciting to get the win," she said.

"Every team, every week is constantly trying to find things to improve on … you're never a perfect team.

"We have heaps to work on, but we are hitting some nice form."

Four Lions Named in AFLW All-Australian Squad

Vice-captain Nat Grider, Ally Anderson, Sophie Conway and Dakota Davidson are the quartet rewarded for their strong seasons.
Teammates Anderson and Conway were also selected for the third time in her career after a strong campaign in 2023.

Anderson, the reigning AFLW Best and Fairest winner, will be hoping for some personal redemption and named in the All-Australian team for the second time after missing last year.
“Ally set herself up with a great pre-season and after winning the W medal last year has improved on those consistent high levels of performance as part of a strong midfield group.

Anderson: Our Season Has Made Us More Adaptable and Versatile

Now that Brisbane has reached the Grand Final, Ally Anderson is confident the Lions can win a second flag, but the star midfielder didn't always have that belief through a rocky 2023.

Unlike the previous three campaigns when Brisbane has sailed through the home and away season relatively unscathed, this year has presented plenty more challenges.

It started during the off-season when it lost All-Australians Emily Bates, Greta Bodey and Jesse Wardlaw to rival clubs, while 2021 Grand Final hero Kate Lutkins would sit the year out to have her first child.

With some new faces to integrate and their 'star power' down, the Lions hit some speed bumps, starting with a round one loss to Richmond.

Another defeat at home in round six against Collingwood – their third loss in four matches at Springfield that started with the season seven decider against Melbourne – and things looked uncertain.

Then there was the horror round nine showing against Wardlaw's Saints that resulted in the team's worst loss since 2020.

When asked whether her confidence in the team wavered throughout the year, Anderson was succinct.

"I'd be lying if I said it didn't," the season seven W Award winner said.

"There were a few games there where I was questioning how far we could go. Then we'd have good wins and it'd be like, 'We are good, we can do this'.

"It's been up and down, but we've learned from it."

Anderson said the rollercoaster had made the Lions more "adaptable and versatile".

"It's been a really good thing this year having those downs because it's made us much stronger in the mind and determined.

"We've earned the right to be there now and we're just going to use those lessons through the year to take into the weekend."

The round 10 win over Melbourne to lock up a top-four spot was full of character and class, as were ensuing finals victories over Adelaide and Geelong.

About to contest her fifth Grand Final in eight seasons, Anderson said this one felt a little different to 12 months ago when the Demons sprung an upset.

This time last year the Lions were euphoric their new home base had been given the green light to host the final game of the season, while Anderson's W Award added another layer of complexity that won't be there this time around.

"There was so much going on then, and we're in a different position now, going down to Melbourne, so we use it (the loss) for fire," she said.

"We did have a lot going the weeks before, where are we going to play the Grand Final if we get in, even winning the W Award was a bit of a distraction as well.

"We're so focused this week and so excited to go down there."

Brisbane will have an open training session on Thursday afternoon at Springfield, where Dakota Davidson will be put through her paces in an effort to prove her fitness from a knee injury, before flying to Melbourne on Friday.

Lions Trio Rewarded with All-Australian Honours

MicrosoftTeams-image-3-.png

Brisbane Lions trio Ally Anderson, Sophie Conway and Dakota Davidson have capped off stellar seasons by being named in the 2023 AFLW All-Australian team at Monday night’s W Awards.

The three Lions accepted their All-Australian honours at the AFLW’s night of nights from a satellite event in Brisbane due to preparations for Sunday’s AFLW Grand Final against North Melbourne.
Anderson, the reigning AFLW medal winner, has put together another strong season following on from her career year in 2022.

Averaging 24.7 disposal, Anderson’s impressive ability to win her own footy was on display with the talented midfielder averaging 11.4 contested possessions per game.

Making her game even more outstanding is the fact she has gone at 60% disposal efficiency to once again be a key cog in leading the Lions midfield in 2023.

Lion Queen: Anderson Claims Third Lions Crown

Ally_Anderson_B-F_Winner_Article_Header.jpg

Ally Anderson has capped off her stellar 2023 season by being crowned the Brisbane Lions Best and Fairest following a brilliant year in which the Club won the NAB AFLW Premiership.

The star midfielder took the lead at the end of round four and never looked back, polling an impressive 205 votes to finish 10 votes ahead of fellow midfielder Belle Dawes (195 votes).

Anderson now adds to her impressive resume as a three-time Lions Best and Fairest winner, along with being named in the 2023 All-Australian team and the AFLW Best and Fairest award in 2022.

“I am extremely honoured and grateful to receive this award, especially for a third time, and humbled to be listed alongside so many great Lions players,” Anderson said.

“A lot of the credit needs to go to my teammates, because I am very fortunate to be part of such an incredible team who make me a better player.

“If it wasn’t for the players I have around me and our amazing coaches and support staff then I wouldn’t be in this position, so a big thank you to every one of them.

“As much this award means a lot to me, what is even more special is that I got to win a premiership with my best friends for this great club last week and I couldn’t be happier.”

Anderson averaged 24.3 disposals a game along with 6.5 tackles and 4.5 clearances, Anderson stood tall in a Lions midfield which looked vastly different to years gone by.

The 29-year-old produced an impressive finals series, having an impact without the ball by laying an average of 9.3 tackles in the three finals including a career-best 12 in the Grand Final win.

Sign of a champion: The special moment that capped Ally's perfect day

WGFNMBr23DB4380.jpg

IT WAS the heart-warming moment that captured the hearts of all footy fans as the Brisbane Lions basked in premiership glory.

As the winner side went up onto the premiership dais one-by-one to accept their premiership medallions, there were wholesome interactions galore.

But it was the moment between a young hearing-impaired NAB AFL Auskicker and Lions champion Ally Anderson that may just have topped them all.

Anderson knelt down onto the stage to accept the medal and signed 'thankyou' in Auslan as she placed a cap on the youngster's head.

"It was a really nice moment between us," said Anderson, who first learned Auslan at high school.

"I grew up in high school with a lot of hearing-impaired kids, so it's something I've learned a little bit before."

Anderson was lost for words after the match after securing her second AFLW premiership with the Lions.

"The feeling's unbelievable, I can't even explain how wild this is, I'm kind of struggling to find words for it right now, I can't wait to celebrate with the girls," she said.

The season seven AFLW Best and Fairest shadowed gut-running Irishwoman Orla O'Dwyer in the pre-season as she looked to take her game to another level.

Anderson claims O'Dwyer is the "best trainer" at the club and says the winger pushed her outside of her comfort zone.

"I basically just tried to chase her around all pre-season," she laughed.

The Lions were one of the sides most heavily hit by expansion but Anderson says the whole club trusted the process and vision of head coach Craig Starcevich.

"We obviously knew it was going to be hard and different, but it allowed for our younger players to come through and for our new recruits to have an impact," she said.

"I just wanted to get as fit as I could over pre-season, the likes of Belle [Dawes] and Cathy [Svarc] both stepped up as well.

"It's different not playing with Emily, but it's a new group now.

"We really trust our culture and the way we play footy; it all came together by the end today."

She said the turning point of the Lions' season came after their round nine loss to the Saints.

"There's always up and down moments throughout the season but it was after the St Kilda game where we then came out firing against Melbourne that we knew we could go all the way," Anderson said.

The Lions dismantled reigning premier Melbourne in the final match of the home and away season before edging out Adelaide and Geelong in the first two finals on their way to their second ever AFLW premiership.

"It's absolutely amazing, you don't really realise how much of an impact you have until you have moments like this where you really take it in," Anderson said.

"We really do have a big influence on the next generation, whatever we can do to be those role models, I'm just really happy and proud."

With a mindset and culture like this one, it doesn't seem like the Lions will be stopping any time soon.

The Brisbane Lions quest for further Club success has received a double boost with Keidean Coleman and Ally Anderson both signing a three-year contract extension.

The talented duo will remain at the Lions’ den at Brighton Homes Arena for an extended period, with Anderson locked away until at least 2026 and Coleman until the end of 2027.

Anderson and Coleman are not only extending their contracts at the same time, but the pair also share many similarities.

Both arrived at the Club via the AFL Queensland talent pathway or Brisbane Lions Academy, both are proud Indigenous athletes, and both are coming off stellar 2023 seasons.

Brisbane Lions CEO, Greg Swann said securing the pair for another three years each was a significant moment for the Club’s future.

“What better way to kick off a new season then to announce a double contract extension with two of the Club’s most exciting talents in Ally Anderson and Keidean Coleman,” Swann said.

“Both players were instrumental in the Brisbane Lions making both the AFL and AFLW Grand Finals last year and now they will help drive the Club forward for at least another three years.

“We are in an extremely exciting time for the Club across both the AFL and AFLW programs and this announcement should have all Brisbane Lions supporters delighted.”

Anderson has put pen to paper fresh from being crowned the Lions AFLW Best and Fairest last season while helping her team win the Premiership.

It was the third time Anderson has won the award and the second time the 29-year-old has done so in a Premiership year after doing the same in 2021.

Despite her playing resume already being one most players would dream of, Anderson admits she still has plenty of hunger for more success.

“I’m so excited to be signing on for another three years, there’s nowhere I’d rather be than at this Club,” Anderson said.

“I love this team and everything we have built here and I’m excited for what is to come.

“We’ve had a great 2023 for both our AFLW and AFL teams and I can’t wait to see where the next three years will take us as a group and as a Club.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'There's no ceiling': Red-hot Lion to lead charge against Magpies

BRISBANE coach Craig Starcevich won't put any expectations on star midfielder Ally Anderson to set more records in the huge round three clash with Collingwood.

But by the same token, Starcevich wouldn't be at all surprised if his outstanding ball-winner does find another level in Friday night's contest at Brighton Homes Arena.

"Ally continues to get better physically, technically and tactically," Starcevich said.

"She's adding layers to her game that haven't been there in the past and there's no ceiling to what she can achieve.

"She's right in the prime of her footy life right now and last week was pretty phenomenal."

Anderson set a competition record for most disposals in a match (43) in the Lions' hard-fought win over Melbourne in round two.

It helped put Brisbane's (1-1) premiership defence back on track ahead of an important home date with the winless Magpies (0-2).

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Player Ally Anderson (2016-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back