Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

All 6 games so far have been won by the team trailing at 3 quarter time.

edit: no they haven’t, GC after the siren. Oh well

Last Sunday in the AFL, the GWS Giants trailed Hawthorn at 3/4 time 5.11 (41) v 10.9 (69) and won by 2 points.

On the very same day in the VFL, the GWS Giants trailed the Box Hill Hawks at 3/4 time 5.11 (41) v 10.9 (69) and had a huge comeback in the final quarter, but in this game, the Hawks held on by 1 point.
Wow, had it been a two point win, that would have been an amazing coincidence.

Leap Year
Election Year
Celtics win NBA Championship
Spain win Euros
Spaniard wins Wimbledon
Australian win pole vault gold
Summer Olympic Games, in Beijing
Bulldog wins Brownlow
Stock market crashed
Hawthorn win AFL grand final

Leap Year
Election Year
Celtics win NBA Championship
Spain win Euros
Spaniard wins Wimbledon
Australian wins Pole Vault Gold
Summer Olympic Games, in Paris
Stock Market crashed
Bulldog win Brownlow?
Hawthorn win the AFL Grand final?
Are you able to able to report threads?

This is just crap

Wasnt sure where to post but today was the SUNS 17th game at the MCG. 17 games in 14 seasons.
Pendlebury played this many at MCG every season just about
yeah it's garbage really.

EVERY team should play min.3 at the MCG... you know.... the home of the GRAND FINAL

V.F.L

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Marlion Pickett's first game was a flag and his last game was a spoon

This is only possibly one.

It’s kind of based on my own memories and web searches didn’t help me with confirmation or denial of this phenomenon.

The 2024 wooden spooners Richmond beat the season’s minor premiers Sydney.

The last time this happened, that I know of, was in the 1991 season in which last placed finishers Fitzroy beat that year’s top of the ladder side West Coast.

Thus meaning it has (possibly) only happened in the AFL era when a Melbourne based large feline team has done it against a non-Victorian avian side.

///

I did discover that Fitzroy as wooden spooners were also able to beat the premiers in 1963 and 1980 but in those respective seasons Geelong and Richmond didn’t finish on top of the ladder. Also the 1992 spooner Swans beat premiers WCE who weren’t the minor premiers. So in those cases it was only ever cat-on-cat or bird-on-bird.
The Bears won the spoon in 91

Which sadly rules that out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cyril Rioli ended Freo's season in 2015
Willie Rioli ended Freo's season in 2024

Every time Hawthorn & Western Bulldogs have met in a final series, at least one of them has gone on to make the Grand Final

1961 (Hawks beat Dogs in GF)
1985 (Hawks lose GF to Bombers)
2008 (Hawks win flag)
2016 (Dogs win flag)
2024???
Ok, as fun as this is, this really needs to be cleared up.

A coincidence is a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

So a team making GF’s after winning a final is none of those things.
Show that there’s no causal connection (linking finals to a grand final is not)
Show that its unique and not common (just off the top of my head, Port Adelaide and Brisbane also share this stat)
Maybe you might get somewhere.

The Bears won the spoon in 91

Which sadly rules that out

Going into the last round, last-placed Fitzroy hosted first-placed West Coast at Princes Park. Fitzroy won the game by 10 points, which lifted them above Brisbane Bears while West Coast finished as minor premiers.

1976 was the last time before this year where the wooden spooner defeated the minor premier, with Collingwood beating Carlton by 26 points in Round 12. Carlton did not go on to win the premiership in 1976. In fact they didn't even make the Grand Final, losing both finals matches.

Take 3 free kick parameters for the last 8 years.

Average free kicks for.

Average free kicks against.

Average free kick differential.

So 8 years x 3 categories = 24 rankings.

17 AFL clubs shared the worst available outcome in any of those rankings 11 times between them.

Remarkable.

All but 3, yes 3, premiership winners in the 21st century have either been birds or felines. Given they're 8 of 16/18 teams, 21 of 24 is way above expected percentage.

Bad luck to the Power, Giants, Dogs and Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back