State of Origin Ampol State of Origin 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

100% she didn’t even pretend to let it go.
I get it's not the same as a cheap shot to the head or whatever but it's pretty clearly foul play.

Think it'll continue to happen until they start marching them.

It's worth a discuss around the send off. I go for NSW and it's a send off. Have to protect the head.

Using Wednesday nights example. Sua'ali'i is sent from the field and can't return. NSW are down to 12 men for 20 minutes, before a returning to 13. NSW are now down to 3 on the bench.

Walsh is medically removed from the game and the Qld 18th man activated and allow to play. Keeps Qld with 4 on the bench.

Possibly in origin could have two reserve players. 18th and 19th men. 1 Forward, 1 Back. Those guys are already in camp as part of the 20 man squads? Similar to cricket with concussion replacements. Like for like.

You are kidding right? So teams can go and head hunt blokes. You do realise how hard it is to be sent right? Why are QLD disadvantaged for a clear foul play that was completely avoidable and every time he touched the ball was the same.

20 minutes is not long enough that’s that rubbish Union rule and it’s trash. Just no.

If teams are only down to 12 for 20mins if you don’t think a side will say “son he’s their best player take him out don’t care how we have the 18th man to cover”

I'm not arguing your point, just that I don't believe he deliberately targeted the head. No argument with the send off either.

He got the ball 4 times and each time he was whacked late call me cynic but it was a plan, Billy didn’t say it but he knows they did it to him when he was at his best. Sualii was just too silly to go at the head! He deserved the sending off

Why? The send off is intended to be the most extreme consequence as a punishment and deterrent. Don’t target and hit the head and you don’t need to **** around with the rules.

It’s a simple equation.

I reckon you can still disadvantage a team with a send off of the player and down 12 men for 20mins. Along with all the penalty option for the other team and having an appropriate reserve option that can be used in these cases.

Every week players get hit in the head and aren't sent off. Yeo got a Qld player across the face and wasn't sent off.

I'm not disputing the send off or protecting the head. Just thought there are some other options regarding the punishment for the offending team.

He got the ball 4 times and each time he was whacked late call me cynic but it was a plan, Billy didn’t say it but he knows they did it to him when he was at his best. Sualii was just too silly to go at the head! He deserved the sending off
They 10000000% targeted him, anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

In saying that i actually dont have an issue with that, you should pressure and hit the oppos best when you can, even if that borders on illegal (id say most teams would take an early penalty to rattle a Walsh or a Cleary) but what Sualii did goes miiiiiles beyond borderline.

I dont think he went for that hit intending to take Reeces head off but the way he went into the tackle was with the intention to really hit hard and hurt and ultimately he got it wrong.

Its bizarre to me people are suggesting we need to re jig the rules to accommodate something like that.

They 10000000% targeted him, anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

In saying that i actually dont have an issue with that, you should pressure and hit the oppos best when you can, even if that borders on illegal (id say most teams would take an early penalty to rattle a Walsh or a Cleary) but what Sualii did goes miiiiiles beyond borderline.

I dont think he went for that hit intending to take Reeces head off but the way he went into the tackle was with the intention to really hit hard and hurt and ultimately he got it wrong.

Its bizarre to me people are suggesting we need to re jig the rules to accommodate something like that.

Look at the hit Martin did on Hopgood! That’s a good hard tackle and does exactly the same except it doesn’t send the bloke to the concussion. Was it deliberate won’t go there but it was definitely targeted at best

I reckon you can still disadvantage a team with a send off of the player and down 12 men for 20mins. Along with all the penalty option for the other team and having an appropriate reserve option that can be used in these cases.

Every week players get hit in the head and aren't sent off. Yeo got a Qld player across the face and wasn't sent off.

I'm not disputing the send off or protecting the head. Just thought there are some other options regarding the punishment for the offending team.
Yeh but ultimately you are disputing the send off because youre saying it was too harsh and we should re jig the penalty.

I cant recall seeing a blatant shoulder charge/spear like Sualiis in club land for quite some time that wasnt a send off. Not all head hits are the same, a stray arm is not the same as a swinging arm and standing tackle that slips high isnt the same as a shoulder missle.

Its the most extreme punishment for the most extreme act.

Rather than coming up with creative solution to not disadvantage the offending team how about the offending team just not do it?

Look at the hit Martin did on Hopgood! That’s a good hard tackle and does exactly the same except it doesn’t send the bloke to the concussion. Was it deliberate won’t go there but it was definitely targeted at best
Even the first one on Walsh which was a touch late put him down but was fair.

Sualii just got it horribly wrong.

You are kidding right? So teams can go and head hunt blokes. You do realise how hard it is to be sent right? Why are QLD disadvantaged for a clear foul play that was completely avoidable and every time he touched the ball was the same.

20 minutes is not long enough that’s that rubbish Union rule and it’s trash. Just no.

If teams are only down to 12 for 20mins if you don’t think a side will say “son he’s their best player take him out don’t care how we have the 18th man to cover”

Do you honestly reckon the NRL community of players in 2024 go head hunting to deliberately hurt other players?

I'm happy with the send off. Just thought there could be some other options regarding the punishment for NSW and maybe an an idea for replacement players during games.

Do you honestly reckon the NRL community of players in 2024 go head hunting to deliberately hurt other players?

I'm happy with the send off. Just thought there could be some other options regarding the punishment for NSW and maybe an an idea for replacement players during games.
Head hunting, no. Targeting, absolutely.

To be clear i think Sualii launched intending to hit Reece in the chest, Reece lowered and slipped a bit and Jo got him high.

He went in with nasty intentions but no he didnt mean to hit the head, ultimately it doesnt matter whether he intended to hit his head or not, he did and his tackling action was dangerous. The margins are small but thats sport at the highest level.

You keep saying youre happy with the send off but youre proposing to change it, so it doesnt seem like youre happy with it all as you clearly think its too harsh a penalty, ultimately thats the crux of your argument.

I disagree.

Yeh but ultimately you are disputing the send off because youre saying it was too harsh and we should re jig the penalty.

I cant recall seeing a blatant shoulder charge/spear like Sualiis in club land for quite some time that wasnt a send off. Not all head hits are the same, a stray arm is not the same as a swinging arm and standing tackle that slips high isnt the same as a shoulder missle.

Its the most extreme punishment for the most extreme act.

Rather than coming up with creative solution to not disadvantage the offending team how about the offending team just not do it?
Yeh Sua'ali'i shouldn't have done it. He didn't even shut down the play. Cost his team for sure.

I can't recall what happens In club land last weekend. Yet remembering any send offs this year.

It's all part of another disappointing origin game for NSW.

Yeh Sua'ali'i shouldn't have done it. He didn't even shut down the play. Cost his team for sure.

I can't recall what happens In club land last weekend. Yet remembering any send offs this year.

It's all part of another disappointing origin game for NSW.
Fair, i mean i cant recall as bad a tackle as Jos for some time, it was just horrible technique and dangerous and ultimately it went wrong.

Hell have the distinction of playing 7 minutes total in a blues jersey, its a shame to as his first hit on Dearden scared the shit out of me

Fair, i mean i cant recall as bad a tackle as Jos for some time, it was just horrible technique and dangerous and ultimately it went wrong.

Hell have the distinction of playing 7 minutes total in a blues jersey, its a shame to as his first hit on Dearden scared the shit out of me

Yeh agreed. He will get a long suspension. I dislike Qld and the Broncos, but love watching Walsh play.

I want us the beat them with him playing 80 mins. Which we are yet to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t say he targeted the head. He targeted Walsh and he hit the head. If you’re gonna do that sort of tackle you run the risk.

We’ve had 6 send offs in history and two of them were last year when Luai and Walsh both got it in the last 5 minutes so it didn’t matter.

There’s no need to re jig the rules because Sualii ****ed up, it worked exactly as it was meant to.
You literally said he targeted the head: Don’t target and hit the head.

And I already said I have no argument with the send off. Have you mixed me up with someone else?

I don't disagree they were aiming for him, just that they weren't aiming for his head. And I don't disagree with the send off.

You literally said he targeted the head: Don’t target and hit the head.

And I already said I have no argument with the send off. Have you mixed me up with someone else?
Don’t target and hit the head is not literally saying don’t target the head.

I’ll do it another another way.

Don’t target a player and then hit them in the head.

He targeted Walsh to hit him, he didn’t intend to hit him in the head but he did.

Last edited:

In Origin yes. The rugby union rule is completely farcical why should NSAw get the advantage when they did the illegal action. 20 minutes is nowhere near enough. Make it 40 at the least and even that isn’t enough. Don’t go cannon balling into blokes heads

NSW game 2 squad mostly makes sense.

Edwards for Teddy
Trell for Sualii
Moses for Hynes
Murray for McInnes

It’s probably a touch harsh on Hynes but origin is a tough stage and he didn’t play well.

McInnes getting dumped seems harsh to me, I thought he was quite good. Murray is fantastic but he’s one game back?

NSW game 2 squad mostly makes sense.

Edwards for Teddy
Trell for Sualii
Moses for Hynes
Murray for McInnes

It’s probably a touch harsh on Hynes but origin is a tough stage and he didn’t play well.

McInnes getting dumped seems harsh to me, I thought he was quite good. Murray is fantastic but he’s one game back?

What did McInnes do other than tackle? We picking a tackling bag? Murray does that and creates points easy selection. Still feel NSW needed to pick Barnett over one of the second rowers. Least Hudson Yiubg won’t add to his average Origins

What did McInnes do other than tackle? We picking a tackling bag? Murray does that and creates points easy selection. Still feel NSW needed to pick Barnett over one of the second rowers. Least Hudson Yiubg won’t add to his average Origins
I mean they had 12 on the field on night, defending was kind of important.

I said Murray is great but noted he’s played one game back from injury and the McInnes was good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean they had 12 on the field on night, defending was kind of important.

I said Murray is great but noted he’s played one game back from injury and the McInnes was good.

Honestly thought he was average did his sort of job which was tackle, but don’t see any point. That was half the issue with NSW in origin 1 and yes I know they were down to 12, They had zero creativity and having a lock that ball plays a bit is so much better than a 13 that just tackles. Murray is quite a bit better than McIness. The only slight issue personally would be Barnett (or another prop) on the bench for Yeo as personally with Watson you have cover for 13 anyway.

This looks a mile better side least Hynes isn’t there be tougher for QLD at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

State of Origin Ampol State of Origin 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back