State of Origin Ampol State of Origin 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That's tough on Moses. He and Luai were both good, as they were in Game 2. Despite the gaslighting from the commentary, telling us this was the greatest game evah, it was in truth a scrappy and ill-tempered affair, with moments of quality football coming only occasionally. I didn't have a problem with Klein, but then, I seldom do.

I think it's pretty clear that match was lost at selection.

QLD didn't have the middle forwards to match it with the Blues.

Kaufusi started, ran 2 times for 4m. What was the point of him starting exactly?

QLD had only 4 players run for over 100m - 3 of them were in the backline. NSW had 7 run over it with 3 of them being forwards.

The missed tackles were pretty ordinary too. Only 1 QLD player didn't miss a tackle for the game...

DCE and Billy can sit there and blame the refs until the cows come home, they got this terribly wrong themselves.

One of those games that might be great for some committed fans, but wouldn't do much to advance the cause of the sport to a neutral. Compared to plenty of games I've seen lately.

First post on BigFooty 🤯 Made this account since I got sick of the R website but have lurked for years.
Either way, what a cracking game. Insane that NSW were paying $2 given everyone knew they had the better team on paper. Only reason QLD were favourites was for the home field advantage; and they couldn't even score a single try🤣.

Things QLD can improve on:
DCE's kicking game was very ordinary
Some of their backline like Walsh and Hammer did bugger all
QLD forwards were getting outmuscled the whole by the NSW forward pack, better selections could have alleviated this.

NSW should have won the series 3-0 if not for the Sualii dogshot and sendoff in game 1.

I think it's pretty clear that match was lost at selection.

QLD didn't have the middle forwards to match it with the Blues.

Kaufusi started, ran 2 times for 4m. What was the point of him starting exactly?

QLD had only 4 players run for over 100m - 3 of them were in the backline. NSW had 7 run over it with 3 of them being forwards.

The missed tackles were pretty ordinary too. Only 1 QLD player didn't miss a tackle for the game...

DCE and Billy can sit there and blame the refs until the cows come home, they got this terribly wrong themselves.
100% agree with this. Gagai couldnt lay a finger on Best all night. Honestly NSW looked a class above in game 2 and last night they were again, Queensland just cracked in really really hard and forced NSWs class to prosper or fold, they rose to the occasion.

Did DCE and Billy say anything about the reffing? I didnt watch most of the post game stuff, I actually thought Klein was fine. 9 penalties for QLD to 6 for NSW. 5 ruck infringements to QLD to 2 for NSW (both stats align with the yardage and possession).

I THINK (i stand to be corrected) Murray technically should have been sent off for coming into the melee off the bench but that would have been a travesty (honestly i didnt think anyone should have had any time off the ground for that).

Im as Maroon as they come, we got beaten by a better, tougher, harder side last night.
One of those games that might be great for some committed fans, but wouldn't do much to advance the cause of the sport to a neutral. Compared to plenty of games I've seen lately.
Im not sure about that. Ive spoken to some nuetrals today and most seemed absolutely thrilled with the game. The instensity, the crowd and the passion being the things people cited.

Ive watched every game of origin for probably 30 years now, i cant recall many being THAT intense for THAT long.

Seriously though how good is it to watch a physical gladiatorial contest after those putrid AFL tribunal decisions. I don't believe in Code Wars but the AFL is asking for people to change the channel after setting a precedent that tackling gives 3 weeks.

Seriously though how good is it to watch a physical gladiatorial contest after those putrid AFL tribunal decisions. I don't believe in Code Wars but the AFL is asking for people to change the channel after setting a precedent that tackling gives 3 weeks.

Sure, let’s say giving blokes concussions is ok like kicking players in the head…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Maroons for SOO 2025 then.
Munster back would help alot, Dearden was good defensively but didnt give much else.

If we persist with Walsh at fullback then Ponga probably needs to be on a wing (as much as i hate out of position selections).

QLD cant claim injury unavailability hurt us cause it argurably hurt NSW more (Trell and Cleary).

Billy whiffed on selection IMO but you live and die by the sword. If Gagai sticks the Best tackle QLD probably wins the game and hes lauded a genius.

Intersting road ahead for QLD. DCE cant go forever and were very bare at 6 and 7 outside of Munster and him.

100% agree with this. Gagai couldnt lay a finger on Best all night. Honestly NSW looked a class above in game 2 and last night they were again, Queensland just cracked in really really hard and forced NSWs class to prosper or fold, they rose to the occasion.

Did DCE and Billy say anything about the reffing? I didnt watch most of the post game stuff, I actually thought Klein was fine. 9 penalties for QLD to 6 for NSW. 5 ruck infringements to QLD to 2 for NSW (both stats align with the yardage and possession).

I THINK (i stand to be corrected) Murray technically should have been sent off for coming into the melee off the bench but that would have been a travesty (honestly i didnt think anyone should have had any time off the ground for that).

Im as Maroon as they come, we got beaten by a better, tougher, harder side last night.

Im not sure about that. Ive spoken to some nuetrals today and most seemed absolutely thrilled with the game. The instensity, the crowd and the passion being the things people cited.

Ive watched every game of origin for probably 30 years now, i cant recall many being THAT intense for THAT long.
I'm honestly staggered they picked Gagai, I don't even want him playing for Newcastle.

Yeah both had a crack at him in the post game presser. I get it, it's easy to look outwards. I don't really think the officials determined the outcome though. Murray possibly sent off, Walsh should've gone for kicking Crichton in the head. Think there's some that could've gone either way but ultimately I think the best team won.

Munster back would help alot, Dearden was good defensively but didnt give much else.

If we persist with Walsh at fullback then Ponga probably needs to be on a wing (as much as i hate out of position selections).

QLD cant claim injury unavailability hurt us cause it argurably hurt NSW more (Trell and Cleary).

Billy whiffed on selection IMO but you live and die by the sword. If Gagai sticks the Best tackle QLD probably wins the game and hes lauded a genius.

Intersting road ahead for QLD. DCE cant go forever and were very bare at 6 and 7 outside of Munster and him.
Munster is definitely a better player but I though Dearden was fantastic last night.

DCE is the big worry. I think he was close to worst on the ground last night. Very few kicks hit the ground, just poor in general.

As you say, he's getting older every year. Dearden/Munster wouldn't work - not sure who else comes in at the 7. Walker perhaps?

I'm honestly staggered they picked Gagai, I don't even want him playing for Newcastle.

Yeah both had a crack at him in the post game presser. I get it, it's easy to look outwards. I don't really think the officials determined the outcome though. Murray possibly sent off, Walsh should've gone for kicking Lomax in the head. Think there's some that could've gone either way but ultimately I think the best team won.
100%. I really cant think of any glaring reffing decisions. The penalty try review late was terrible but they ultimately got it right. I dont think any of the things you mentioned really warranted any action (i actually think the 2 sin bins werent needed either).

Beaten by a very good side in the end. Was only a matter of time when NSW actually didn't have a space cadet in Fittler picking Cook in the centres and Hynes near the side they would do well.

As for QLD, we did fairly well to keep it close, ultra annoying that it was Nanai and Gagai missing an easy 1 on 1 that ultimately broke the game open.

Feel that's DCE's last Origin, been such a servant and I'd have liked him to go out with a win, but it's now time for Munster and Sam Walker to be the halves please

Some fit middle forwards wouldn't go astray either.

The positives, best game Fotuaika has played for QLD. Cotter was brilliant and Carrigan what more can be said.

NSW deserve the win. Congratulattions, hard to feel angry about a side with Jake as captain anyway least it's not Galllen lol

Sure, let’s say giving blokes concussions is ok like kicking players in the head…
Not a single player last night failed HIA which was honestly surprising given the physicality of the game. Then again I would argue AFL is worse for concussions especially at amateur level where people got knocked out every game when I played.

Munster is definitely a better player but I though Dearden was fantastic last night.

DCE is the big worry. I think he was close to worst on the ground last night. Very few kicks hit the ground, just poor in general.

As you say, he's getting older every year. Dearden/Munster wouldn't work - not sure who else comes in at the 7. Walker perhaps?

Walker at 7, and Munster at 6 please. They are the best two halves going forward, do it now plus Walker can kick meaning we can ship Holmes off because on form Holmes is the worst of the lot, Cobbo to centres.

Was nothing in Reece's love tap, penalty sure and he's as dumb as a plank (we all know this lol) but was just a little silly that's all.

Penalty try call was bizarre.

Call wasn't a penalty try, was called no try on field. They always check it and it was ugly so to speak all they were checking was whether Luai held the chaser back took 3 seconds, could be worse we could have the AFL and the goal technology lol

I think our list for the halves is

Walker, Maam, Munster, Milford, Brimson, Gamble, Dearden, Gray, Hunt.

DCE and Munster has worked well with a kicker and a runner. Im a big rap on Maam but he needs to be paired with a good kicker.

Munster and Walker i suppose.

Remove this Banner Ad

State of Origin Ampol State of Origin 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back