An Upgrade to Blunstone Arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

Church street would need to be removed/modified. But the next thing that would (should) be on the agenda is parking. There is no parking at all besides street parking, and with a capacity of 19,000, that isnt good enough at all. They will have to buy a block of houses and develop them into car park.
Park at South St and walk the 3 blocks.

That's everything finished for now. I don't reckon we will see anything else big happen for another 10 years or so (like when they get serious about a local AFL side). I would expect the single stand that's standing by itself next to the hill will be the next to go, somehow being intergrated with the current members and function stands. It's clear that the long term future was never considered when the last major re-development happened back in 2002 as while the new stand is so much better, it doesn't fit in with the two stands they built back then. We were sitting at the back of bay one on the bottom level of the new stand to get out of the rain and wind on Saturday and you wouldn't be able to see the goal posts or much more of the forward 50 when watching a football game due to the design of the members stand. And at the other end, next to the new western stand, it's easy to see the old southern stand for the piece of **** that it is. I agree, the red green and gold seats do look out of place now. It would look a lot better if the seats were replaced to match the seats in the western stand.

Yep, I think the only thing that might cause a change would be having a Tassie AFL club. I think both Aurora & Bellerive would look to have a capacity towards the 25k thats been mentioned.
The problem with Bellerive is that people dont like the battle to get in & out of the area. That was said years ago but the powers never listened. So we're stuck with it now.
What the answer is, I'm not sure. But it will cost.

19,000 people can't do that.
19000 won't drive.

There is always plenty of parking left over there. People want to bitch about parking how about they demonstrate this by filling whats already available.

19000 won't drive.

There is always plenty of parking left over there. People want to bitch about parking how about they demonstrate this by filling whats already available.

Because the problem is that when people go over their they try & park somewhere they can get out & away without getting stuck in traffic after games. People here arent use to waiting.

I would say that anything like a 19k crowd would choke the whole area. It will be interesting to see how things go this season. I'm sure this has exercised the minds of the Council, Police & the TCA management.

Again IMO its an excellent facility but was built in a bloody stupid place. People here dont need an excuse to not go to things. We hate lining up or waiting for anything!! So the need to get in & out is important to ensure maximum crowds. I hope they get it right.

But see that's the thing. I've never had that issue of getting away.

Then again I used to go right and head back down towards the highway and go around Bellerive (sp I know) and Rosny rather then go through.

Went there for the Australia v Scotland game.

It's a lovely ground but it needs to be more enclosed if it is going to have a permanent AFL team (although I may be saying this because I am a Queenslander and I found it freezing when I was there, in March can't imagine what it would be like in July, never been so cold at the cricket haha)

Went there for the Australia v Scotland game.

It's a lovely ground but it needs to be more enclosed if it is going to have a permanent AFL team (although I may be saying this because I am a Queenslander and I found it freezing when I was there, in March can't imagine what it would be like in July, never been so cold at the cricket haha)

You're obviously very soft:rolleyes: (Ha!)

But see that's the thing. I've never had that issue of getting away.

Then again I used to go right and head back down towards the highway and go around Bellerive (sp I know) and Rosny rather then go through.

Correct move. Go via Howrah and you'll be relatively fine.

Same applies if you're coming from the North. Take the Richmond Road turn-off shortly after Oatlands instead of the Bass Highway and then take the Howrah/Rokeby exit to get to Bellerive. It's shorter in distance and will save you fighting everyone else coming from the Western Shore.

The other thing to do on the way there if you have no option but come in via Rosny to get to the South Street Reserve (Free parking) to park is take the left turn onto Ormond Street as soon as you hit Cambridge Road and go over hill instead of taking the main road around.

Bottom line, don't be a lemming.

Went to the North vs. Richmond game yesterday and had great seats on the second level of the new Ricky Ponting stand.
It's a really great view of the action from there.
I also noticed queues for food/drink and bathroom are much quicker now.

I have lived in Tasmania for 27 years and have never been backed up on the Tasman bridge for more than half an hour, and that is only when a boat is going underneath.
I have been to every NM game they have played and have had no trouble getting to the ground and getting a park within 10minutes walk. I don't believe you were caught on the bridge at all.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...a-for-footy-fans/story-fnj4f7h7-1227380913692 has definitely happened before

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they need another grandstand on the other side of the oval to fix the wind problem...

I doubt they will ever get rid of the hill though as it's kind of iconic to the stadium.
The wind can be a lot of fun sometimes and you get crazy games like we had against the Demons & Eagles last year.

blundstonearena.jpg

Could an Upgrade work for Blunstone Arena??
Yeh that might be able to fit more crowds

That tiny little stand, I think it's the Northeast stand is seriously cute. Hope it never goes. I think it might be some sort if ground members area?

I noticed that the playing area today is slightly narrower, possibly because of the incident at Kardinia Park earlier this year with the LED fencing

I was at the game last Sunday and if Tasmania wants an AFL team they need to upgrade that sh*t hole. besides the Ricky Pointing stand it is pretty hard to see the ground. they need to upgrade the North east Stand or knock it down and rebuild it. Maybe knock down the David Boon Stand and rebuild it. Keep the grass banks and make a bigger roof to block out the rain.

I posted this on the Footy Industry section. But it also seems relevant in the Stadium section of BigFooty.

Whilst a new Macquarie Point Stadium has the greatest vision, it seems the like cost is off-pointing.

So if we run with Bellerive Oval as being the venue for Hobarts oval sports, how can it be improved.

It seems like the two main gripes are:
1. the limited capacity due to the road and house constraints to the north;
2. transport access to the venue from around Hobart.

On point two, at Optus Stadium the event buses are also highly used. There is a dedicated event bus station that has 22 bus stands. That is used as a car park on non-event days. It can be broken down into the northern (150m) and southern (140m) sections.

8047f2efc78857abc21673ccfb4580ac.jpg

74bdbdfd5c9882702143ee0f5fbe95d6.jpg

In regards to Bellerive Oval, they could purchase all the properties north of the oval up to Clarence Street. Make this into a large forecourt entrance to the stadium. There are 25 properties and the average price from recent sales seems to be about $800,000.

d74bcbbad4898bfb1ef4100c4b663230.jpg

In this forecourt area build an event bus station split into a western and eastern section, each being about the lengths of one of the northern or southern sections of the Optus Stadium bus station. The western one would replace the intersection with Derwent Street, and the eastern one replacing the intersection at Beach Street.

Without a rail network, the bus network would have to be relied on more than on Perth, so despite being a smaller stadium, would need a similar sized bus station as Optus Stadium.

And then a new northern stand could be constructed with 10,000 seats, expanding the stadium capacity to about 27,000. Also resolving issue 1.

44ac0d46f4a453a958475d681bda0e37.jpg

e0e29af072ff388655b579e9663371b9.jpg

And then from the new bus stations, run event buses to all corners of Hobart, and even some coaches that go to northern Tasmanian towns.

90mins before events, run a bus on each route every 10mins for a big convenience.

Maybe even at the end of events, close Clarence Street to traffic to give the buses a free escape, so people find them to be really convenient, resolving issue 2.

c1b0c1e4d7feecf7ca1475375cf07d67.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

An Upgrade to Blunstone Arena.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back