Biology Ancient Australia (Extinct Megafauna, Dinosaurs etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ars has an article that updates the considerable progress made in sequencing Thylacine DNA. Not content with simply sequencing, they are adding a few tweaks such as resistance to bufotoxin, the cane toad toxin. I have no idea if this will work but may clever folks think it will. Is it a good idea?
Interesting study

As a flip would they then be introduced as the CTs predator?

Interesting study

would be cool to see happen. I believe the swamp rat has learnt how to kill the toads and bypass the toxins.

Interesting study

It would be a bloody miracle if they did. Mind you the whole cane toad disaster is a warning about bioengineering. Young folks may not know, the toads didn't even eat the cane beetles they were introduce to control. How stuffed is that?
would be cool to see happen. I believe the swamp rat has learnt how to kill the toads and bypass the toxins.
No surprise it's a rat, they have an extraordinary ability to breed resistance to toxins.

It would be a bloody miracle if they did. Mind you the whole cane toad disaster is a warning about bioengineering. Young folks may not know, the toads didn't even eat the cane beetles they were introduce to control. How stuffed is that?

No surprise it's a rat, they have an extraordinary ability to breed resistance to toxins.
One of the biggest biological control failures ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Biology Ancient Australia (Extinct Megafauna, Dinosaurs etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back