Universal Love Andrew Ireland on Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Best thing about Ireland was when Matthews "Shirtfronted" him on centre wing now that was good I liked that.He was also Brisbane,s CEO when they got all their extra benefits and now he is at the Swans so he knows plenty about having the rules bent for his club,both Ireland and Swann are cut from the same cloth not even worthy of a thread on our board.

Amazing how quickly things can change.

2 years ago, Port were the laughing stock of the AFL, along with the Dees, with more than a few people suggesting that they should even be removed from the competition. Their drafting and development proves to be excellent, they get Koch in to run the joint and get a quality coach in. Suddenly here they are at the pointy end of the ladder, playing entertaining footy at a great new stadium in front of much bigger crowds.

2 years ago Sydney were universally acclaimed for their alleged no d1ckheads policy and for putting together a premiership list based in part on a French Foreign Legion mentality - this is your last chance, so you better work like a dog and fight for every scrap under the table.

Then they go and blow their own cover in two consecutive seasons, unable to resist the chance to exploit their unfair salary advantage by signing up two top shelf KPFs on big, big coin. They've gone from being a lot of people's "second club" to detested AFL darlings in two years.

Ireland can stick his Carlton references. The only difference between the two clubs is that one has generally done its dirty business under the table, half heartedly concealed beneath a thin veneer of "winning culture". That has now been exposed for what it always was - a culture of simply buying that which it couldn't develop from within.

The other has now been exposed for what it is, for what Brisbane was, and for what GCS and GWS will continue to be - AFL sanctioned cheating.

There is no such thing as a level playing field under this administration, but what really annoys me is that they have the nerve to pretend that there is. Cheat the cap? We'll hammer you. But if you want to cheat the cap and happen to be in a market we are desperate to develop in order to maximise our revenue, we will hand you an extra 10%. Cost of living, away from home player retention, market development... Doesn't matter what we call it, the punters will just have to cop it sweet. Suckers.

The only way these things are stopped is if the clubs demand it. Eddie helped to put a stop to the Brisbane debacle and with the likes of Malthouse finally chiming in, the AFL can't really get away with the Swans' cheating any more.

I wonder how many flags the Suns and Giants have been allocated.

Nail. Head.
Spot on.

He was also Brisbane,s CEO when they got all their extra benefits and now he is at the Swans so he knows plenty about having the rules bent for his club,both Ireland and Swann are cut from the same cloth not even worthy of a thread on our board.
Forgot all about that...... Hate levels rising..........

If a club cant get bums on seats after 3 flags and 4 granny appearances in a row then they will never have the local backing as far as Im concerned..

This is a good point. If Brisbane fans will only stick around when they win premierships then the whole support base is just a pack of cards. The Queensland and NSW ventures seem to be based on these teams winning regular premierships. The teams in the football states have to be content with feeling good about growing the game, while the teams up north win the premierships....and we havent even begun the period where GWS and Gold Coast cash in our their draft concessions.

There are times when I wish the supporters in Melbourne just stayed home for a few weeks and told the AFL that if it's going to be so infatuated with teams in non-football states, then they arent going to be bothered...

This Ireland bloke has his finger on the pulse. Looking forward to him blowing the lid off the 1919 Chicago White Sox, I hear not everything was above board over there...

Watch what happens when the COLA is gone and Sydney have to get rid of players. They'll sook and moan about losing players. They'll try and use it as an example of why they should retain the COLA. BUT, not once will they acknowledge that they put themselves in the situation by signing Tippet and Franklin in consecutive years.

Im pretty sure I heard that Franklins contract will be considered "outside the cap" even after the COLA is removed as he signed during the COLA period.
Happy to be corrected if that incorrect.
The AFL is trying to make the sting as tiny as possible for these twits

No, actually when GWS pulled out of trading for Buddy because they believed he would sign with Sydney, the AFL told them that they will still need to fit him under their cap if & when the COLA was pulled. They warned them of this beforehand. I think they were hoping he was going to GWS as well.

This Ireland bloke has his finger on the pulse. Looking forward to him blowing the lid off the 1919 Chicago White Sox, I hear not everything was above board over there...

Sure is old news about Carlton's payments and how we structured Judd's Visy deal.
I can only add that is was ticked off by Ken Wood, so it's a bit rich coming from Ireland who's club has had no end of help from the AFL.

Not defending what Carlton did and we got our right whack, but fair dinkum it's been 10+ years since we received our sanctions.

Sure is old news about Carlton's payments and how we structured Judd's Visy deal.
I can only add that is was ticked off by Ken Wood, so it's a bit rich coming from Ireland who's club has had no end of help from the AFL.

Not defending what Carlton did and we got our right whack, but fair dinkum it's been 10+ years since we received our sanctions.

Ireland is just trying to displace the heat from Sydney's blatant financial advantage by making it about something that happened over a decade ago. He's an unprofessional flog who seems more like a BigFooty poster than a CEO of an AFL club.

Ireland is just trying to displace the heat from Sydney's blatant financial advantage by making it about something that happened over a decade ago. He's an unprofessional flog who seems more like a BigFooty poster than a CEO of an AFL club.

Pretty well said actually.
I didn't hear the interview, but as you say it sure sounded like he was trying to deflect the heat that is on his club at the moment.

Everyone knows Carlton's history when it comes to salary cap payments. Talk about a cheap shot from a supposed professional CEO of an AFL club.

Pretty well said actually.
I didn't hear the interview, but as you say it sure sounded like he was trying to deflect the heat that is on his club at the moment.

Everyone knows Carlton's history when it comes to salary cap payments. Talk about a cheap shot from a supposed professional CEO of an AFL club.

He didn't even approach it in a mildly professional manner, both his attacks on Gordon and Carlton.

Just came off as an angry kid shouting "WELL REMEMBER WHEN YOU DID X? YEAH, YOU GUYS AREN'T ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE, YOU DID SOMETHING BAD YEARS AGO."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch what happens when the COLA is gone and Sydney have to get rid of players. They'll sook and moan about losing players. They'll try and use it as an example of why they should retain the COLA. BUT, not once will they acknowledge that they put themselves in the situation by signing Tippet and Franklin in consecutive years.

The AFL Comes a Fairer Comp

All these comments are just tall poppy syndrome!
I don't know a third of their team, a third is recycled players and the other third is superstars! They have a better team culture which is why ted Richards is a star there but struggled at the bombers. Who is that ruck that they have some Richmond hack that is showing more than Hampson! If they are smart which I think they are they will have a 9% COLA allowance in everyone's contract, hence canning it would affect all of their players. Those players want to stay there and play there. Nothing more than that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Andrew Ireland on Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back