Environment Annoying Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

Annoying birds are the introduced, invasive bird species that wreak havoc on Australia's native birdlife.

images

The Common Myna is a highly aggressive bird that is a huge problem existing across the eastern seaboard of Australia. Unfortunately, they discourage native birds. Their rapid population growth is concerning and very difficult to control. Although, there are traps you can make to capture the rotten pests if you feel like it.

The Feral Pigeon is another problematic bird species. The early settlers did not want to shoot native birdlife so they introduced all three kinds of pigeon to shoot instead. Unfortunately, the Feral Pigeon also discourages native birdlife.

Don't feed the birds.

I killed one of these last week. I was driving home in my van and it was in the middle of the road pecking at something. Now this happens all the time and birds usually get out of the way (right at the last minute may I add) but this fella was a little slow on the uptake and left his getaway a tad late and was collected by my side view mirror. Blood all over my mirror and door.

I thought he was pretty unlucky TBH. Given it's a 2 tonne van, getting collected by the little side view mirror is pretty stiff. And so was he at the end.

one of life's great joys :thumbsu:

watching birds, or any creature in fact, have an all out battle

Perhaps, but in this case a non-native pest is causing distress to indigenous fauna.

The common myna is fiercely territorial and will attack in packs if required. A smart bird, but too smart for Australia.

I've had similar problems with avian wildlife over the years, and I've developed what I believe to be a fairly fool-proof way to deal with the situation:

1. Carefully craft a papier mâché figure of the species of bird you are dealing with- make it convincing!
2. Record the birds chirping when it's nearby, and learn to imitate it's mating call to the best of your ability, making sure the bird isn't around when you practice, as it may get suspicious.
3. This part is most important- fill the papier mâché bird with small nails, tacks fragments of broken glass and other sharp objects, plus 200g of plastic explosive, with a proximity triggered fuse.
4. Sit papier mâché bird on windowsill, and make bird mating call, repeating for as long as necessary.
5. ?????
6. Profit

Remove this Banner Ad

Environment Annoying Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back