Another Rumour - Travis Cloke - Massive offer by Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

OneEyed35, You have raised a number of interesting points, most of which I agree with. I would be pleased to respond to the other points. It’s a bit off the thread of the Travis Cloke story but you did ask. You may like to start a new thread.

Regarding my age, I am over 50 so I can remember what Collingwood was like before Eddie.

Since Eddie has been in charge, a lot has changed at all the clubs. When Eddie was voted in by the Collingwood members nearly 20 years ago, in 1994, most of the Melbourne based clubs were in financial trouble. South Melbourne had already moved to Sydney years before. Richmond was saved by the “Save Our Skins” campaign in 1990 (thanks Kevin Sheedy, Tom Hafey and others). In 1996, Fitzroy and North Melbourne were looking at a merger with Fitzroy eventually being forced to move to Brisbane in 1996. Also in 1996, Melbourne and Hawthorn very nearly merged and probably would have if not for the efforts to stop it by Don Scott and Dermott Brereton. St Kilda and Footscray also had their financial troubles. Carlton had John Elliott and Dick Pratt to save it.

In the end, what saved ALL the clubs was the introduction of PayTV in Australia and the huge increase in revenue for the AFL from TV broadcast rights. Eddie just happened to be in the right place at the right time. All the clubs, including Collingwood made it to this point with the efforts of a small number of inspirational leaders (Eddie being one of them) and, more importantly, their members and supporters. Out of all the people involved at all the clubs, Eddie is the only one who perpetuates the myth that he alone saved his club. It’s just propaganda.

Regarding Eddie’s work effort, I agree he loves the club and puts in a massive effort. So he should - he’s the President. It’s privilege and you need to keep earning it.

Every President, player, official and staff member at every club does the same – there’s nothing special about Eddie. The other Presidents quietly get on with the job of dealing with the administration, finding sponsors and helping their clubs in other ways.

What I have observed during Eddie’s reign is a destructive change in the culture of the club and the impact this has had on my family and friends who are Collingwood supporters. I speak for them because they are too afraid to speak for themselves. They want change but they don’t want to get a whack from Eddie in the process. “You’re just one of the haters” would be a typical response from Eddie to any fair criticism.

The most destructive change to the Collingwood culture is the celebration of the “It’s us versus them” slogan. It is aggressive, finger pointing and divisive. It invites conflict. No other club does this. It is a classic propaganda technique used in warfare for centuries and is unhealthy. A psychologist I know says it appeals to the “victim” in supporters and forces them to be on guard at all times. For many supporters (in my experience, most supporters), it’s not fun anymore to barrack for Collingwood. The Collingwood supporters I know do not want to be victims, they just want to enjoy their footy. They love Collingwood as much as anyone and could never considering leaving - and they want their club back. This can only happen when Eddie steps down. Eventually he will, but how long do they have to wait?

The problem is, there are so many conflicts of interest between Eddie’s business interests and his Club Presidency it is impossible for anyone to unravel them and, in my opinion, impossible for Eddie to see them. Someone needs to tap Eddie on the shoulder and say, ”Thanks mate, you’ve done a great job, but it’s time to go”.

When was the last time Richmond won a game against a top 6 side?
When was the last time they got in to the finals??

I'm too young to remember.

flog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess some people just dont get it lol you should hear Perth talk back radio erm....6pr... and the eagles supporters are coming out in droves to stick up for freo for the harsh words Eddie has used regarding their poor pathetic club:D

That was like some of the funniest things I heard McGuire say about Cloke and The Purple haze jumper, SBS and kicking 3 goals a week. Who on earth would want to wear a purple jumper and play for Freo the big heave ho.

You'd think they might have mentioned veterans advantages which would give the Pies a decided advantage V Dockers.

A 3 year deal: yr 1. 650k plus 100k ASA (750K), yr 2. 650k plus 100k ASA (750K), yr 3. 1.4 mil plus 100k ASA (1.5 mil but 750K on books). A million a year.

If we took a risk on a four year deal, the numbers would be much better.

You'd think they might have mentioned veterans advantages which would give the Pies a decided advantage V Dockers.

A 3 year deal: yr 1. 650k plus 100k ASA (750K), yr 2. 650k plus 100k ASA (750K), yr 3. 1.4 mil plus 100k ASA (1.5 mil but 750K on books). A million a year.

If we took a risk on a four year deal, the numbers would be much better.

I'll take the risk with a four year deal if it adds up everywhere else on the books (ie still able to keep a core group together).

If Freo have offered cloke 1.7mill more it would be likely that they have offered him a 4 year deal for $1 million per year = $4million and we have offered him a 3 year deal at 750k-800k = 2.25- 2.4mill. approx 1.6-1.7mill less.

He won't lose his main asset in the next four years. He'll keep his strength, marking power and endurance. It's only if he suffers a long term shoulder/knee/ hip injury that will slow him down.

If Cloke stays at Pies, it will probably be on a 2 year deal, meaning at the next expiry he will be an unrestricted free agent, and his agents can really 'show him the money'.

I'm getting tired of hearing rumours.

Been told this morning that GWS have him all but signed up.

Comes from within GWS ranks too. The money has been set aside to make room for him. Apparently Cloke didn't particularly want to leave Collingwood so the original offer had to be upped significantly to budge him.

Expect that when (if) it happens, the figure will be in the 1.5 range easily.

again, grain of salt etc. etc.

I'm getting tired of hearing rumours.

Been told this morning that GWS have him all but signed up.

Comes from within GWS ranks too. The money has been set aside to make room for him. Apparently Cloke didn't particularly want to leave Collingwood so the original offer had to be upped significantly to budge him.

Expect that when (if) it happens, the figure will be in the 1.5 range easily.

again, grain of salt etc. etc.

Maybe i am in denial but cant see Cloke leaving us. He will sign up for less because he has family, mates here. Club will also look after him in other ways outside footy with media exposure etc.

Do you think he would like to go to a team that has almost zero chance of winning a premiership in the next 6-7 years? Money cant buy that feeling of playing in a grand final.

How many blockbuster games do GWS get? Money cant buy playing in Anzac day

I know its a lot of money but there are so many other intangibles that will tip the scales in our favour (hopefully) :thumbsu:

Maybe i am in denial but cant see Cloke leaving us. He will sign up for less because he has family, mates here. Club will also look after him in other ways outside footy with media exposure etc.

Do you think he would like to go to a team that has almost zero chance of winning a premiership in the next 6-7 years? Money cant buy that feeling of playing in a grand final.

How many blockbuster games do GWS get? Money cant buy playing in Anzac day

I know its a lot of money but there are so many other intangibles that will tip the scales in our favour (hopefully) :thumbsu:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you.

IF Cloke leaves, it will be 100% for money and nothing else.

His best mates are at Collingwood, a better post football career awaits by staying at Collingwood, more chances at a premiership are at Collingwood (of the clubs mooted to be after him), he'd just need to be on less money (like 700K a year is chump change yeah?).

Look, I really hope he stays, but in the end, it's not the end of the world. It just means our forward structure adjusts, or someone needs to step up.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you.

IF Cloke leaves, it will be 100% for money and nothing else.

His best mates are at Collingwood, a better post football career awaits by staying at Collingwood, more chances at a premiership are at Collingwood (of the clubs mooted to be after him), he'd just need to be on less money (like 700K a year is chump change yeah?).

Look, I really hope he stays, but in the end, it's not the end of the world. It just means our forward structure adjusts, or someone needs to step up.

Look i think GWS has more chance of snaring him than anyone else..

BUT how the hell are they going to fit all of Ward, Scully, Izzy & Cloke under the cap?? This is not counting the second year kids all wanting extra dosh.
Cannot see them offer Cloke more than 1.2? So if we pay 750-800 its a little bit closer to what we can afford to pay.

Plus don't forget life after footy you also need a job. What has a better ring to it - Ex Collingwood Premiership player or Ex GWS :eek:

With Collingwood Cloke will be taken care of after he has hung the boots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Rumour - Travis Cloke - Massive offer by Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back