Another Rumour - Travis Cloke - Massive offer by Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

What concerns me more than whether Cloke leaves or not is the apparent greed of some of our players. Geelong have won 3 flags in 5 years and apart from Gazza ( who left to get away from Thompson anyway) there was a pact not to chase the money and instead play for each other and flags. Same with Brisbane Lions (though they did have a salary cap advantage but in today's dollars it wasn't that much). We win a flag and suddenly everyone wants heaps more.
Leon left cause he didn't want a pay cut, well in the years where he wasn't that great I didn't hear him want to give money back for having poor seasons !!!

Makes me sick in the stomach...

Remember we need to finalize Reid, Shaw and O'Brien too, so I think we are bound to lose someone, unless players like Didak, Johnson (nearing the end of their careers) give something back to the club to help out.

It seems injuries (this year), the MM factor last year, and now the Cloke issue, there always has to be something dragging us down !!!

Personally I think the only thing that will keep Cloke here is third party payments which Cloke senior is looking at.

Is that the same reason why Jason and Cameron went to Collingwood as well? :rolleyes:

Why would Travis have wanted to go to Richmond? Couldn't have played finals for one and no chance in hell he would have won the premiership medal he now has at that rabble.

However he could have played in a lot of honorable losses.
I think you have missed my point Visions. It's not about whether Travis chose Collingwood or Richmond, it is that if Collingwood had not done the dirty on Richmond in the first place by stealing David Cloke, Travis would not have had a father/son option at Collingwood.

My point is, don't complain about losing a great player because another team is prepared to pay more for him. Collingwood have been doing this for decades and things are about to be squared up.

Travis Cloke should not even be at Collingwood to start with. He should be at Richmond under the father/son rule. The only reason Travis is at Collingwood is that Collingwood offered his father, David Cloke, a big bag of CASH to switch clubs.

What goes around comes around.

A) It's irrelevant because no one wants to go to Richmond lol.

B) As far as what goes around comes around: You have made the finals ... twice in the last 3 decades? Good to see you believe in fairy tales.

I think you have missed my point Visions. It's not about whether Travis chose Collingwood or Richmond, it is that if Collingwood had not done the dirty on Richmond in the first place by stealing David Cloke, Travis would not have had a father/son option at Collingwood.

My point is, don't complain about losing a great player because another team is prepared to pay more for him. Collingwood have been doing this for decades and things are about to be squared up.

If that's your point then make your point. Don't come onto an opposition board and make inflammatory, antagonistic comments.

Saying he shouldn't even be at the club is a completely moot point; that fans shouldn't be upset is slightly more reasonable. Having said that, who's realistically going to simply not care because we've paid for players?

What concerns me more than whether Cloke leaves or not is the apparent greed of some of our players. Geelong have won 3 flags in 5 years and apart from Gazza ( who left to get away from Thompson anyway) there was a pact not to chase the money and instead play for each other and flags. Same with Brisbane Lions (though they did have a salary cap advantage but in today's dollars it wasn't that much). We win a flag and suddenly everyone wants heaps more.
Leon left cause he didn't want a pay cut, well in the years where he wasn't that great I didn't hear him want to give money back for having poor seasons !!!

Makes me sick in the stomach...

Remember we need to finalize Reid, Shaw and O'Brien too, so I think we are bound to lose someone, unless players like Didak, Johnson (nearing the end of their careers) give something back to the club to help out.

It seems injuries (this year), the MM factor last year, and now the Cloke issue, there always has to be something dragging us down !!!

Personally I think the only thing that will keep Cloke here is third party payments which Cloke senior is looking at.

mate, its cool. we haven't lost anyone yet and i don't believe we will lose anyone we want to keep.

How do you know pies players haven't made same pact
U won't read it in the media as the media wants us to fail.

Also shaw has re-signed. Sidebottom, cloke and Reid the only 3 big guns left. Harry will stay for whatever we pay due to exposure he gets here.

Go away Deekay. U came in here slagging off bucks on anzac day. Just go away
Tbone, may I suggest you go back and have another read of my comments on Anzac day.

I think Bucks is one of the great players in the history of the game. I just don't think he will be a good coach as he has no experience of what it is like to struggle for your place in the side and that he will therefore not be able to understand what the bottom six are going though and how to help them. Most Brownlow medalists fail as coaches - the odds are stacked against Bucks.

I was very impressed with how Bucks handled himself on The Footy Show, he would make a great President. I say, make Bucks President and Dane Swan coach Swan has been thorough "the struggle" (he very nearly got delisted early on) and could be a great inspiration to the "bottom six".

I'm not anti-Collingwood, I have many friends and family who are Pies supporters. The feedback I get from them is that they are sick and tired of Eddie and the trouble he is always causing them. When they get asked who they barrack for, they start with an apology. Get rid of Eddie and you will get some respect.

Guys ignore this troll. He or she only comes to start fights.

Mods, can we get this troll banned from our site.

I don't even know who Richmond's president is which means he is too low profile to be able to promote the club. At least everyone knows Eddie, though I suppose the same thing could be said about Kennett, so maybe easy recognition with the public is not necessarily a good thing.

David Cloke seemed happy enough to be poached at the time. It's funny how a fist full of money can persuade people to sell their mothers into prositution, but that's the way of people, isn't it?

I'm not anti-Collingwood, I have many friends and family who are Pies supporters. The feedback I get from them is that they are sick and tired of Eddie and the trouble he is always causing them. When they get asked who they barrack for, they start with an apology. Get rid of Eddie and you will get some respect.
Baaaaaahahahaha.......mate they aint Collingwood supporters!

The thing is if you had an Eddie you just might win a flag or two.

I don't even know who Richmond's president is which means he is too low profile to be able to promote the club. At least everyone knows Eddie, though I suppose the same thing could be said about Kennett, so maybe easy recognition with the public is not necessarily a good thing.

David Cloke seemed happy enough to be poached at the time. It's funny how a fist full of money can persuade people to sell their mothers into prositution, but that's the way of people, isn't it?
IMHO, football should be about the clubs, the players, and the coaches (in that order) not the Presidents.

As it is however, no-one makes more money out of the Collingwood football club than Eddie. I understand he make millions (yes millions) a year from his media jobs. IMO, he only has those jobs because he has used the CFC to leverage his own profile to his own advantage. Would he have those jobs if he had not used the club to increase his personal profile? Does the club see any of that cash? I don't think so but I would like to know the details and form a considered opinion. Perhaps the members could ask Eddie for a bit more disclosure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbone, may I suggest you go back and have another read of my comments on Anzac day.

I think Bucks is one of the great players in the history of the game. I just don't think he will be a good coach as he has no experience of what it is like to struggle for your place in the side and that he will therefore not be able to understand what the bottom six are going though and how to help them. Most Brownlow medalists fail as coaches - the odds are stacked against Bucks.

I was very impressed with how Bucks handled himself on The Footy Show, he would make a great President. I say, make Bucks President and Dane Swan coach Swan has been thorough "the struggle" (he very nearly got delisted early on) and could be a great inspiration to the "bottom six".

Wrong. Buckley's whole football career was based on getting the best out of himself. That's why he was a champion, his graft which turned to gold.

Flipping your ignorance on its head, Buckley has put effort at the forefront of football maxims. Thats his experience and his modus.

Don't come talking shit on our thread about a club champion when you don't even know the ABCs of his life and experience.

do any collingwood fans think Eddie Mcguire acts like whinging 12 year old?

Where's the banhammer when you need it?

Look clown, the rats were eating jumpers when Eddie took over. He turned the latent support into a financial powerhouse.

On this particular question, Eddie was having a laugh if you missed it.

Can we get back on topic for a minute. The article quoted freo are looking at utilising free agency. Yeh... So what, so is every other club. It then goes on to say freo will need to offer cloke $1m a year to lure him. Yeh, so what that is probably true. Note "will need", not "freo have offered cloke $1mil".

Here's the twist which gets everyone talking and ultimately puts collingwood in a shit position- the headline says "freo offer cloke $1 mil in free agency bid".

Wtf is that???? The article follows with no evidence whatsoever that freo have offered that!!!! Ahhh this world is ****ed.

do any collingwood fans think Eddie Mcguire acts like whinging 12 year old?

To answer your question, ed loves the pies and most, if not all love what he has done for this club.

Ignore what he says on radio as that is all for ratings.

Ed was the best thing to happen to the pies when he came in. Some may call him a saviour.

I do find it curious that the club that really struggled to keep players under the cap over the past decade or so after winning their premiership was Essendon. Footy players aren't always the most aware of what is going on, and I wonder whether the bravado from that club about being the next 'Manchester United' fed into their expectations of salary. Geelong by contrast seem quite humble and have managed to keep their playing group together, for the most part.

Not saying this is what is happening at Collingwood, but if you're a player and you hear from your management that the club you're playing for is a powerful mover and shaker, you may begin to wonder where your piece of the pie is.

To answer your question, ed loves the pies and most, if not all love what he has done for this club.

Ignore what he says on radio as that is all for ratings.

Ed was the best thing to happen to the pies when he came in. Some may call him a saviour.

T bone is right.When you hear eddie going on like a raving lunatic we see that as his passion.I think some other supporters are just jealous that their president doesnt show the same passion towards their clubs and get their noses out of joint.

I Absolutely agree eddie is a saviour. He brought us back from the brink. We as supporters cant not respect the man. You dont have to like him but you will respect him.He is a smart man with very good ideas. Everyone talks about him getting rid of mick well heres something for you in case you didnt know.

I have immense respect for mick malthouse but a deal is a deal. He was very lucky we kept him on after 2009,he could've been gone right then but he knew he could win a flag. The point is i am grateful for that,forever but he also had 3 other chances to win a flag and didnt. Alot of teams get rid of their coaches in 5 years sometimes even less if their side is not performing how the board believes they should be.

What about if he didnt win a flag?should we still have kept him?come on.

I think its nothing about a love affair with bucks,i think bucks is a very smart man who is going to hopefully be a successful coach. And eddie knows that.If eddie ever had a doubt in his mind about nathan being coach he would never have become coach.eddie is all about what is best for collingwood football club,not what is best for an individual. eddie is not an idiot. clearly he has proven himself to us in the past 12 years.

We hadn't won a premiership when that succession plan was made.

And trav he wont go to freo.or gws.Its just his dad stuffing collingwood around once again to get more money.He has always dealt like that.

If trav was going to go why didnt he leave after the 2010 premiership when essendon offered him more money than he was on at collingwood at the time?because he loves collingwood. Its not travis at all its his father who is just looking out for his sons best interest like he has always done and always will. My parents and your parents would probably do the same in that situation.

T bone is right.When you hear eddie going on like a raving lunatic we see that as his passion.I think some other supporters are just jealous that their president doesnt show the same passion towards their clubs and get their noses out of joint.

I Absolutely agree eddie is a saviour. He brought us back from the brink. We as supporters cant not respect the man. You dont have to like him but you will respect him.He is a smart man with very good ideas. Everyone talks about him getting rid of mick well heres something for you in case you didnt know.

I have immense respect for mick malthouse but a deal is a deal. He was very lucky we kept him on after 2009,he could've been gone right then but he knew he could win a flag. The point is i am grateful for that,forever but he also had 3 other chances to win a flag and didnt. Alot of teams get rid of their coaches in 5 years sometimes even less if their side is not performing how the board believes they should be.

What about if he didnt win a flag?should we still have kept him?come on.

I think its nothing about a love affair with bucks,i think bucks is a very smart man who is going to hopefully be a successful coach. And eddie knows that.If eddie ever had a doubt in his mind about nathan being coach he would never have become coach.eddie is all about what is best for collingwood football club,not what is best for an individual. eddie is not an idiot. clearly he has proven himself to us in the past 12 years.

We hadn't won a premiership when that succession plan was made.

And trav he wont go to freo.or gws.Its just his dad stuffing collingwood around once again to get more money.He has always dealt like that.

If trav was going to go why didnt he leave after the 2010 premiership when essendon offered him more money than he was on at collingwood at the time?because he loves collingwood. Its not travis at all its his father who is just looking out for his sons best interest like he has always done and always will. My parents and your parents would probably do the same in that situation.

Great post mate. Fully agree with everything and i love your passion.

Just 2 points to add to the post as well.

1. Bucks will be a great coach. Just see what he has to endure so far and how he has handled it. Perfect.

2. Cloke will stay. I am very confident of that but unfortunately i don't have any sources. U will have to trust me.

Great post mate. Fully agree with everything and i love your passion.

Just 2 points to add to the post as well.

1. Bucks will be a great coach. Just see what he has to endure so far and how he has handled it. Perfect.

2. Cloke will stay. I am very confident of that but unfortunately i don't have any sources. U will have to trust me.

i trust u mate.:thumbsu: and eddie too :thumbsu: go pies!

oh and how dare damian barrett suggest eddie step down.Just who the hell does he think he is,is he on the collingwood board?you'd think so with all his interest in collingwood.what a fool

Sorry to intrude, but I felt compelled to let y'all know that not all opposition supporters hate Eddie and most of us certainly don't envy Collingwood for his presence.

Admittedly, I can't stand Ed's media persona. I think the reason most opposition supporters find him distasteful is because they fail to see that persona for what it is; a persona. He's an unapologetic ratings whore, after all. As for his black-and-white tinted glasses, hell, why wouldn't he wear them? He IS the president of Collingwood Football Club and stuff... I find his bias to be refreshingly honest, actually.

Above all else - none of the aforementioned could even hope to detract from what he's done for your mob as a president. I have the world of respect for Ed as an unfathomably competent administrator. :thumbsu:

On the issue at hand - I find it very hard to see Cloke playing anywhere other than Collingwood in 2013. It's not because I consider Travis to be a particularly loyal clubman or because I'm skeptical of what Freo/GWS can offer... I think the real reason he'll stay is that Collingwood will go to almost any length to keep him.

Cloke is one of the pillars Collingwood stands on at the moment. I wouldn't consider it an over exaggeration to say your premiership window would become suddenly very narrow if he jumped the shark, and no one is more aware of this than the Collingwood coaches and football department. If it really goes to the line I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Heath Shaw jettisoned in favour of getting the deal done with Trav.

This - combined with the third party deals David Cloke alluded to - will surely get him over the line?

Cheers :)

Travis Cloke should not even be at Collingwood to start with. He should be at Richmond under the father/son rule. The only reason Travis is at Collingwood is that Collingwood offered his father, David Cloke, a big bag of CASH to switch clubs.

What goes around comes around.

Actually you're wrong.

David Cloke went to Richmond FIRST, and offered Richmond the chance to take all 3 sons as a 'package', but Richmond didn't want to have the first two to get to Travis last.

Collingwood was happy to take on the other two to get to Travis obviously knowing in the back of their minds that they'd be rid of the first two before Travis came good anyway.

THIS is where we're being bitten in the ass now. We treated the first two like shit, so now the Clokes are going to try and bend us over when we need them most.

Personally, I hope David goes easy given that the arseh*le that treated his older sons like shit is now gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Rumour - Travis Cloke - Massive offer by Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back