Any teachers out there changed careers or considering doing so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a high school teacher and have been doing the gig for about 9 years and getting tired of it.

Just wondering if there are other teachers out there that have jumped ship, or are considering doing so? If so, what professions have you moved into/considering moving into?

Last edited:
I have jumped ship... but currently living overseas unemployed... so not sure if was the right choice! haha.

12 year teacher and also considering it. Just don't have the motivation or desire anymore which is sad as i found posts on the teacher page early in the thread being enthusiastic about the possibilities being a student teacher. Have considered moving schools but I think after 3 to 4 years will have the same problem.

Don't know if becoming a regional officer for some sport would help or maybe we just all hate work which is the real issue here.

I teach FT but I dont have to put in 45-50 hours. What is taking up so much time?
  • IEP
  • BSPs
  • Modifications to planners for individual students under Disability Inclusion Funding or 12month below expected level
  • Personalised Individual Timetables for Tier 3 high behaviour students (I have 2)
  • PLC agenda
  • Following up phone calls and emails
  • Behaviour/wellbeing follow ups and tracker input
  • Organising resources for Following week.

• IEP
  • BSPs
  • Modifications to planners for individual students under Disability Inclusion Funding or 12month below expected level
  • Personalised Individual Timetables for Tier 3 high behaviour students (I have 2)
  • PLC agenda
  • Following up phone calls and emails
  • Behaviour/wellbeing follow ups and tracker input
  • Organising resources for Following week.
What state are you in and what do you teach, if you don't mind me asking? Public or private? Do you teach 20 hours a week? Also, do you not have a learning support coordinator at your school who develops IEP's etc?

What state are you in and what do you teach, if you don't mind me asking? Public or private? Do you teach 20 hours a week? Also, do you not have a learning support coordinator at your school who develops IEP's etc?
I'm in Victoria. I do 21-22hrs F2F teaching. Public.

We teachers are in charge of making IEPs and BSPs. Our wellbeing leader just checks them once made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I taught for 5 years, PE and Maths. Got out, into regulatory side of construction and haven't looked back. Spent the first 3 years doing hospitality and side jobs and had a great time, loved it.

Now in a job where it's enjoyable, deal with childish Builders (so still have that going for me), pay is 6 figures after 4 years and only way is up. Industry shortage so it's great to be in.

Downside is that I'm nearly 37 and only have just earnt 6 figures, everything is more expensive and with future plans for family will be tough when the Mrs goes on maternity as she is on white the wicket but hopefully my salary will continue to grow.

Best decision I made.

Do coaching so that keeps that passion alive as to why I got into teaching. With less headaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Any teachers out there changed careers or considering doing so?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back