Any Windows Computer Nerds in here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got wireless Internet through Uniti and am considering changing to NBN. I can get to the kerb but an upgrade to the home, but they are going to have to dig up my lawn and part of path around the house, so I’m not keen for that.

Speed to the kerb is 50mps which is the same as my wireless. Only considering changing due to issues with wireless lately.

Anyone got to the kerb and is it ok?

Are you 100% sure they have to dig up your lawn?

I was always under the impression that they use the existing lead in conduit that is already there from the pit to your house.

If they can use the existing conduit then I would definitely, 100% get the FTTP upgrade.

50mbps is serviceable, but depends on your usage. If you're trying to watch multiple streams etc or 4k content then 50 just doesn't cut it.

Are you 100% sure they have to dig up your lawn?

I was always under the impression that they use the existing lead in conduit that is already there from the pit to your house.

If they can use the existing conduit then I would definitely, 100% get the FTTP upgrade.

50mbps is serviceable, but depends on your usage. If you're trying to watch multiple streams etc or 4k content then 50 just doesn't cut it.
Thanks, no I’m not, the girl I spoke to said they would but she didn’t know. I’ve now asked for someone who knows what they are doing to call me.

I’m on 50 with the wireless and we have multiple streaming and it works fine, when it’s working! Still down from Friday night

Thanks, no I’m not, the girl I spoke to said they would but she didn’t know. I’ve now asked for someone who knows what they are doing to call me.

I’m on 50 with the wireless and we have multiple streaming and it works fine, when it’s working! Still down from Friday night

Good idea, it's worth finding that out before 100% ruling it out.

If you just phoned an ISP (internet service provider) then chances are that they'll more than likely have no actual idea themselves (especially if it was an overseas call centre). My gut feel is that if you already have a FTTC connection then I'd be shocked if there needed to be trenching done, having to dig up properties to install NBN cabling is definitely not the norm especially with existing houses. You should already have the pit and the conduit already and they should be able to feed the cable through that into the house.

The other thing you can also try is get them to book the upgrade and then speak to the tech from NBN Co when they come out to see what is actually required

I normally don't recommend companies, but if you're looking for an ISP then Aussie Broadband are great. They're based completely in Melbourne so their sales and tech support are located in Australia and they actually know their s**t too and they have really good bandwith so their speed is always good.

Last edited:

Good idea, it's worth finding that out before 100% ruling it out.

If you just phoned an ISP (internet service provider) then chances are that they'll more than likely have no actual idea themselves (especially if it was an overseas call centre). My gut feel is that if you already have a FTTC connection then I'd be shocked if there needed to be trenching done, having to dig up properties to install NBN cabling is definitely not the norm especially with existing houses. You should already have the pit and the conduit already and they should be able to feed the cable through that into the house.

The other thing you can also try is get them to book the upgrade and then speak to the tech from NBN Co when they come out to see what is actually required

I normally don't recommend companies, but if you're looking for an ISP then Aussie Broadband are great. They're based completely in Melbourne so their sales and tech support are located in Australia and they actually know their s**t too and they have really good bandwith so their speed is always good.
Thanks, I’ve been doing some research and the only way I get the upgrade to FTTP is if I sign up to a super fast plan which all look to be around the $120 range, I’m not that keen.

My wireless is now back up and running so I’m hoping what ever they fixed corrected any recent performance issues. Generally it’s worked well except for the last couple of weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back