Anyone need places to look for music reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

I also found out about The Arcade Fire there, smasha. They were raving about it being the clear Album of 2004, and so I had a look to see what all the hype was. Very glad I went there, as it put me on to probably the best band of the 2000's (equal with The Shins probably).

I also recommend this site, some great reviews there.

harry_hawka said:
I also found out about The Arcade Fire there, smasha. They were raving about it being the clear Album of 2004, and so I had a look to see what all the hype was. Very glad I went there, as it put me on to probably the best band of the 2000's (equal with The Shins probably).

I also recommend this site, some great reviews there.

Haha we're a two man band fighting for The Arcade Fire :D

I'll say it again,if you haven't heard this album people,you are missing out bigtime.

To be honest mate, I thought they would've taken off out here by now. I downloaded the album a good 3 months or so ago, and it took me 'til early this year to actually find a copy of the album in a store. I ended up finding it accidently, and nearly fainted when I saw it!

Given how much of a sudden hit they are in Canada, The States, and across Europe, coupled with how many good reviews I've seen, I thought they would've taken off out here by now. But alas, they haven't, and so it's up to smasha and Harry to talk them up on Australian footy message boards!! Good times.

It's Out!-you beauty.
I've looked in every JB even at the mighty Greville st. records store thinking for sure they'd have it and it wasn't there.

Must be in by now.

Great artwork by the look of the cover at Pitchfork too.

This band will be big here real soon I feel.

Just one play on radio and that will be all it takes-I'd rather it stay on non commercial radio. :D

IDGAF said:
Tell me thier sound , but in an "un-********y" way

They have alot of elements in their sound-I can't really pigeon hole them-they rock out but in a meloncholy sort of way -classy but not commercial dribble -their songs are addictive and emotional.

They sort of have tiny bits of punk in their sound ,Roxy Music,Pumpkins(melancholie style of songwriting but their music is very uplifting -some of the songs you can't help but turn the volume up-the last song sung by one of the girls in the band(I think they have two),is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in my life.

If you like stuff like The Doves,Grandaddy,The Flaming Lips,Wilco I'll think you'll dig em. :)

I was told by a muso friend they are bringing out an abum soon and were featured on Rolling Stone magazine and that the new stuff was fantastic.

I got this friend into em too and he loves em now. :D

smasha said:
It's Out!-you beauty.
I've looked in every JB even at the mighty Greville st. records store thinking for sure they'd have it and it wasn't there.

Must be in by now.

Great artwork by the look of the cover at Pitchfork too.

This band will be big here real soon I feel.

Just one play on radio and that will be all it takes-I'd rather it stay on non commercial radio. :D

I too had looked at JB for months, but hadn't found it. I ended up picking it up last week at a store called Rockinghorse in Brisbane CBD. The cd case is made of cardboard, and has a pouch for the CD and lyrics sheet (yes, they have the lyrics!) instead of the usual plastic click-thingy. The lyrics book is set out like a fold-out funeral booklet, which is obviously very appropriate! All in all, the cover and booklet maintains what I feel is almost an old-fashioned type feel that the band have.

I picked Funeral up for $31, the first album (apart from Jeff Buckley 3 cd Live At Sine) I've spent more than $25 on for a long time- definitely well worth it though!

Pretty sure Arcade Fire is only available via import here, sadly.

Music wise I hang around at Mess & Noise which doesn't have reviews but is a good board for the Melboure/Sydney indie music scenes.

smasha said:
Haha we're a two man band fighting for The Arcade Fire :D

I'll say it again,if you haven't heard this album people,you are missing out bigtime.

ok ok.. i'll take a listen...

i've been another board, where they all cream their pants about this group's live performances...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smasha said:
It's Out!-you beauty.

Must be in by now.
Dude, after reading you 2 talking it up as well as some other different music presses, i have had it on my list of future buys for a while. And i have been into just about every freakin cd store i can think of and have come up empty handed every bloody time!!

The search continues though..

Carlos said:
Dude, after reading you 2 talking it up as well as some other different music presses, i have had it on my list of future buys for a while. And i have been into just about every freakin cd store i can think of and have come up empty handed every bloody time!!

The search continues though..

I'd imagine you'll start to find it in more and more places over the next month. I hope you people like it, or smasha and I will get cut down for wasting everyone's money!

One thing I will say, especially to you Carlos, is don't be too surprised if the singer's voice isn't the best you've heard. In some parts, it tends to fall away a little bit- but this is only a minor criticism, hardly takes away from the music at all. On the other hand, as smasha has said before, the voice of the female singer in 'In The Back Seat' is absolutely brilliant.

Good luck finding it!

SaveFeriss said:
Just d/l'ed 'Neighbourhood' and it's not really doing anything for me.. I'll try a couple of others. Any major reccomendations for this Arcade Fire?

Which 'Neighbourhood' was that mate? There are 4 tracks on the album with that name: Neighbourhood (Tunnels), Neighbourhood (7 Kettles), Neighbourhood (Power Cut), and Neighbourhood (Laika).

My favourite of those four is definitely Neighbourhood (Tunnels). If you're looking for something a bit more up-beat, I recommend a track called 'Rebellion (Lies)'. It's probably not my favourite anymore, but it was the song that first got me into the band, and is pretty easy to get used to.

If you're into Bjork, or appreciate good lyrics and a superb, soft female voice then the song 'In The Backseat' is definitely the one to go for.

It's definitely an album that takes a bit of getting used to, but when it kicks in, it's a cracker.

Cheers harry. I d/l Neighbourhood '2'. Well thats all the file info I have.

Im on a bit of a chilli pepper splurge atm, I'll grab both of those tracks you suggested, and yeah I dont mind a bit of Bjork. Have about 4 tunes of hers here, and a Beasties version of Army of Me:eek:

jabso said:
Pitchfork sucks. They are too wound up in sounding smart and using metaphors for you to make any sense of it.

I agree with this to some extent, and tend to skim read a lot of the reviews. However, it's a good place to go just to check out some bands, as I'm very much into a lot of the ones on that site. I usually just download the albums of certain bands, and make up my own mind whether or not I like them, the reviews are just a guide as to what to check out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone need places to look for music reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back