Anyone seen a good documentary lately?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2006
On Deadly Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seagal, Hull, Hibs
Big fan of documentaries, give pretty much anything a shot, but they seem to have died in the arse lately, or maybe the media hype surrounding them has.

So if you've seen anything worth checking out, let me know here.

Cause I'm too lazy to look myself. ;)

*I've seen King of Kong, in case you were going to mention it.

The 7:30 one on SBS on Sunday night is usually interesting. They had a German-made one on Napoleon a few months ago, loved it.

First of all I will recommend the BBC World War Two Collection. Absolutely brilliant. Includes topics such as Nazis: A Warning from History, Dunkirk, Road to War, D-Day to Berlin, Auschwitz, The War between the Soviet Union and Germany. It was written by award winning Laurence Rees and is by far the best collection of docos I own.

Tobruk - a documentary about the Australian 9th Division (known as The Rats of Tobruk) having to hold off Rommel's Afrika Korps to maintain control of the former Italian garrison. Terrific doco.

The War File - The Story of the Third Reich - A wonderful introduction to the beginnings, workings and the fall of the Third Reich under Nazi Germany. Probably my favourite DVD in my collection.

Hitler's Henchmen Vol I and II - Very well written stories on Hitler's inner circle. Studies men such as Von Ribbentrop, Goering, Himmler, Hess, Donitz, Mengele (though technically he didn't have a lot to do with Hitler personally), Bormann, Goebbels etc...highly recommended.

I have an absolute stack of documentaries at home, particularly about WWII and the Nazis. But I am always looking for other recommendations as well.

I am still hunting around for a documentary on the Battle of the Coral Sea. Especially for my dad who served on the HMAS Hobart which was also involved.

Watched a couple of good ones lately.

Life without People (sic) on paytv which basically does a whole show on the assumption of how long it would take for the world as we know it to breakdown/recover if humans disappeared of the face of the earth tomorrow.

Secret Service which was a look into the protection of US presidents/candidates since Lincoln was assasinated. Looked at all the assasinations & attempts from the Secret Service point of view and actually follows them around while they are planning an event for bush. I found the sheer logistics of organising a simple visit amazing!

Love my docos, pity my missus doesnt!!!!

I got "The Hellstrom Chronicle" on DVD recently, it was an interesting 1 1/2 hours of superb camera work

BUT, how it beat "The Sorrow and the Pity" for the 1972 Oscar is beyond me, so I re-watched Marcel Oph*ls' classic and was every bit as impressed as the first time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst it is by no means new Ken Burn's The Civil War is brillant. It will be on sale for only 15 dollars from Ezydvd later in the month. Definatly worth getting at that price if you have not seen it.

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/780613

I picked that up for that price at the end of last year. A bargain so great that it is practically a compulsory buy.

There's a really good doco floating about on one of the paytv movie channels at the moment called So Goes the Nation about the 2004 US presidential election. Is there anything uglier than a bunch of Christians on a moral crusade?

Just watched that one, good stuff.

Wasn't so much about Christians, but Republican strategy and the inability of Democrats to have a consistent message.

So if you've seen anything worth checking out, let me know here.

A few good ones I know,

Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father - I implore everyone to watch this documentary. Absolutely fantastic. The best thing to know as little as possible before you watch it.

The Thin Blue Line - Fairly old documentary about a man wrongfully convicted of murdering a cop. Another similar is Murder on A Sunday Morning. I love all the true crime doco's.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills - Another brilliant documentary released in 1996. There has been two more documentaries subsequently released based on the same case.

A few more are:
Taxi To The Dark Side
Inside Job
Waltz With Bashir
Hoop Dreams
Deliver Us From Evil

Anyone seen 'Resurrect the Dead'? It's about the Tonybee Tiles. A bunch of mysterious inscripted tiles that appear on roads around the world. Very odd.

A few good ones I know,

Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father - I implore everyone to watch this documentary. Absolutely fantastic. The best thing to know as little as possible before you watch it.

The Thin Blue Line - Fairly old documentary about a man wrongfully convicted of murdering a cop. Another similar is Murder on A Sunday Morning. I love all the true crime doco's.

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders At Robin Hood Hills - Another brilliant documentary released in 1996. There has been two more documentaries subsequently released based on the same case.

A few more are:
Taxi To The Dark Side
Inside Job
Waltz With Bashir
Hoop Dreams
Deliver Us From Evil

+1 for the Paradise Lost docos. Got completely engrossed watching them. Interesting to note that the documentaries and the film makers themsleves played a significant part in helping set free the young men accused years down the track. Would definitely recommend to anyone that hasnt seen them already.

For something different, would also recommend the doco 'Dogtown and Z Boys'. About the transformation of skateboarding in the 70's focussing on the Zephyr skate team that came from the Santa Monica/ Venice area. Not into skate boarding or skate culture at all but I found this doco really interesting. Some great old footage and an awesome soundtrack too! Worth a look I'd think!

Anyone seen 'Resurrect the Dead'? It's about the Tonybee Tiles. A bunch of mysterious inscripted tiles that appear on roads around the world. Very odd.

just grabbed it, watched 5 seconds of the trailer and was in

also

one of the best/most full on

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone seen a good documentary lately?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back