ANZAC Day 2009, 5.30 kick off

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn. I'll be there but its one of my girlfriends birthday that day and it took some time convincing her to come to the game and we are then meeting up with some other girls and go to a pub or club to celebrate. Can have a quick say hello at half time if you like, depending on where you sit.

Apparently the Storm are looking to make this an annual clash...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25352994-14823,00.html

MELBOURNE Storm hopes to create its own Anzac Day blockbuster after securing approval to play New Zealand on Saturday at Olympic Park.
In a bid to emulate the success of the AFL clash between Essendon and Collingwood, Storm has had an Anzac Day medal struck for the best player and asked the NRL to have the clash with the Warriors fixtured each season.

Storm CEO Brian Waldron said the State Government and Victorian RSL were behind the plan and they would try to get the NRL to make the match a regular feature of their calendar.

"Playing the Warriors is a fantastic, traditional thing that we would like to continue," Waldron said.

"So if can make this a success, we would seek to (play the Warriors) on Anzac Day every year.

"It's very fitting that we play them on Anzac Day, to play what is an international contest against two countries that went to war together.

"Hopefully it is the first of many traditional matches."

Saturday's match will start at 5.30 to avoid a clash with the Essendon and Collingwood blockbuster at the MCG.

"Hopefully a lot of people can leave the MCG and, provided there is room, trot over and watch what is fast becoming one of the great traditional clashes for ourselves against the Warriors," Waldron said.

The NRL has a traditional Anzac Day clash, played between St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters, and a spokesman said it would be unlikely two matches would be scheduled on the day.

"It is an idea that has merit and something that would be looked at beyond 2009," he said.

"But scheduling would be an issue. It would depend on what day of the week Anzac Day fell.

"Unless it is a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, it would be unlikely to play two standout games. But it is not an idea we would dismiss. It's worth investigating."

Great idea in my opinion! :thumbsu:

If the NRL want to make this an annual clash (which they should) then it should really be played in Auckland each year.

Kickoff at 2 or 3pm Auckland time and the match would be finished before the Saints/Roosters clash in Sydney.

It would also be finished before the kickoff at the MCG for any Melbourne fans who want to watch the game on tele.

Having said that I'd still prefer to have a Test Match on ANZAC Day (not near the day, but ON the day), but it looks like that horse has bolted.

If the NRL want to make this an annual clash (which they should) then it should really be played in Auckland each year.

Kickoff at 2 or 3pm Auckland time and the match would be finished before the Saints/Roosters clash in Sydney.

It would also be finished before the kickoff at the MCG for any Melbourne fans who want to watch the game on tele.

Having said that I'd still prefer to have a Test Match on ANZAC Day (not near the day, but ON the day), but it looks like that horse has bolted.

Why should they play it in NZ every year? Should alternate it between Vic. and NZ.
When its played in NZ have it on early as you said, or if the game is on in Vic. play it at 5.30.
Good ideas like this should not be thrown under the bed.:D

Because the Storm will get absoloutely no publicity up against two teams that matter to the sporting public of Melbourne and the cities second biggest footy game of the year.

Utter waste of time playing in Melbourne.

Rubbish. It would be close to a sellout as per usual...who cares what happens across the road. There are only 2 teams playing there...some other teams supporters might want to watch some rugby league.

^ No but the vast majority does and to give up one of your biggest games of the year ... You know the one where half the crowd supports the away team ;) ... to compete with Essendon v Collingwood is madness.

You make some good points - but it's worth the risk.

The Storm don't get any press anyway so it's really not going to make much difference if Storm news is lost in AFL Anzac Day white noise the week leading up or buried behind the Werribee Bowling Club results.

At least the idea is fodder for some easy and appropriate paint-by-numbers articles about Anzac day in Australia and New Zealand (include references to obscure relatives of Warriors and Storm players who fought in WWI, etc.) It's a good angle and emphasises the way the sport brings together two great allies (blah blah blah, etc.)

Perhaps I'm underestimating how many neutral fans want to watch Essendon and Collingwood (it sounds like a run of the mill AFL match to this Sydneysider) but surely there's a large untapped market who aren't - especially considering the game starts after the MCG match is over. You've also got the small matter of 80,000 people or so already in the precinct.

Sounds like a sporting feast for your sports-loving city and an opportunity for a big walk-up crowd. Well worth the risk of "wasting" your biggest game of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be there ... well for the first half at least.
I presume you're doing what I'm doing and pulling a double header? Storm vs Warriors then a quick dash to Tigers vs Roos?
I'll be at OP on Saturday.

I presume you're doing what I'm doing and pulling a double header? Storm vs Warriors then a quick dash to Tigers vs Roos?
Yes indeed, I'll be the one in the North Melbourne cap sitting under the Bai Stand banner, bugging the crap out of any Richmond fans in the vicinity.
But don't let that deter you from saying hello, I mainly mean Tigger and her family, especially if they start up the Tigers song on the kazoos again.

Essendon v Collingwood at the G and what am I doing?

Going to the netball at 2pm and the rugby league at 5:30pm :D

I'm in West 16 I think, but will probably sit with a mate in West 21.

Weather forecast ain't too good.

I think the netball finishes at 3:30 so my plan is to park at Crown and catch a tram to the game.

So what's the plan? Meet at OP?

Yes indeed, I'll be the one in the North Melbourne cap sitting under the Bai Stand banner, bugging the crap out of any Richmond fans in the vicinity.
But don't let that deter you from saying hello, I mainly mean Tigger and her family, especially if they start up the Tigers song on the kazoos again.
Haha! I'll come and say gidday then.

I'll be there ... well for the first half at least.

Make that 3 on that score :)

Will be doing exactly the same.

Add another to the list, hoping the Storm have the game wrapped up by 7, jump in a taxi to Docklands..

Might also go over the road to see the last 15 mins of the AFL if it sounds like a close finish. See how we end up :thumbsu:

If only the Tiges v North game was at 7:40.

I'm meeting a couple of Warriors fans at the Swan around 3pm for a coke and heading back to the ground around 4ish.

Will be sitting in the West stand. If anyone wants to meet prior to kick-off, say around 445, I'm happy to head to the back of the Northern end of the ground to say hi.

I'll be in my Collingwood members hat. Just ask for, AuckMel.

Remove this Banner Ad

ANZAC Day 2009, 5.30 kick off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back